Drafting RB/QB late round? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting RB/QB late round?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting RB/QB late round?

Postby AsianChexMix » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:05 pm

I was doing some mock drafts on fantasyfootballcalculator.com and I did some drafts. My league is traditional Yahoo! scoring but the starting is QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, WR/RB, TE, K, D and a bench. I am in 9th position of the draft and I tried out two different methods. One of them is the RB/WR method. Here is one of the results:

1. R. Brown (RB)
2. S. Smith (WR)
3. H. Ward (WR)
4. K. Jones (RB)
5. T. Bell (RB)
6. J. Galloway (WR)
7. A. Green (RB)
8. J. Delhomme (QB)
9. E. Kennison (WR)
10. F. Taylor (RB)
11. C. Cooley (TE)
12. T. Glenn (WR)
13. B. Leftwich (QB)
14. N. Rackers (K)
15. New England (DEF)

Now I tried out this other method in drafting a RB/Manning in the same 9 spot. Here are the results:

1. S. Jackson (RB)
2. P. Manning (QB)
3. R. Wayne (WR)
4. J. Lewis (RB)
5. D. Driver (WR)
6. C. Taylor (RB)
7. A. Green (RB)
8. M. Muhammad (WR)
9. E. Kennison (WR)
10. V. Davis (TE)
11. T. Green (QB)
12. S. Gado (RB)
13. J. Elam (K)
14. M. Barber (RB)
15. Washington (DEF)

Which team do you think has a better chance of winning a league? The RB/WR team or the RB/Manning team?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:19 pm

the RB/WR team although I'm not that high on Hines Ward. It just seems like every team I see that has Peyton Manning is weak at RB and WR. That's just not acceptable. I don't think I'd draft ANY QB until round 3, Peyton or not.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby loophole21 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:25 pm

How many teams?

I think you got some really good steals in these drafts. SSmith, Galloway and Lewis and Taylor in the other draft. I really like the second team. The team has a solid core of players, and also has a very high breakout potential. Obviously this means it could also flop, but I like its chances.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AsianChexMix » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:11 am

loophole21 wrote:How many teams?

I think you got some really good steals in these drafts. SSmith, Galloway and Lewis and Taylor in the other draft. I really like the second team. The team has a solid core of players, and also has a very high breakout potential. Obviously this means it could also flop, but I like its chances.

This is a 10 man league with me being in the 9th position. I figure that I get a decent RB in the beginning but then get manning in the 2nd. Come back and get RB and WR in 3rd and 4th and then try to find quality RB/WR throughout the draft since this year I feel that WR's are plenty and you don't absolutely need to spend high picks on them and I may draft 3 or 4 WR....what do you think?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:22 am

RB/WR team is better b/c the manning team is weak at wide receiver.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:52 am

Considering the flex starting requirements, the RB/QB team is better, but not because of taking Manning, its because the other guys drafting with you let C Taylor slip 2-3 rounds later than he should have, especially with a flex spot.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby daullaz » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:52 am

If you ultimately go RB/Manning, might I suggest picking up either the Foster/De.Williams combo or the Addai/Rhodes combo in the middle rounds? I don't see Green/Gado getting you much.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelers39 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I'd go with the RB/WR team... the other is just too weak at WR
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
steelers39
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheAlphaMale » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:50 pm

Your not as weak at wideout on the RB/QB roster as others are making it out to be. BUT, the only way anybody should nab Peyton in the first round or mid second is if they truly believe he will put up numbers that are quite a bit better than the rest of the qb's. In otherwords, if Peyton Manning doesn't throw for 35+ td's this year and you take him in the early 2nd round, then did u actually maximize value at the qb position? Not if you can select a qb like Hasselbeck in the 5th round and have him throw for 27 td's or so.
TheAlphaMale
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AsianChexMix » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:07 pm

Do you think the RB/manning draft is reproducable? I want to see if I can pull that off again. Anyone think that it can be done on a consistent basis?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk