Wow, I cant believe I read a "good" FF article - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wow, I cant believe I read a "good" FF article

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wow, I cant believe I read a "good" FF article

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:17 pm

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/nfl

While I may not agree with every conclusion the author of this piece made, I must say, the guy goes on to give solid advice on drafting strategies, and this is one of the better articles I would think all beginners should read to get a feel for how to draft.

Just thought I'd share.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thriftyrocker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Come on! I am sure we can poke some holes in it! ;-D

I don't think he should have bothered picking "sleepers." The stat he leads with implies it doesn't matter who your QB is - everyone in the top 10 is more or less the same. Then his first recomendation is Daunte (ADP 42.8 on Yahoo, 33.1 on FFCalculator) as a "sleeper" who he claims will be "top 8". :-b

His argument "patient-minded draftees who selected Carson Palmer and Tom Brady in Round 7 that were rewarded" is bad. First, Brady went in Rd 4 not 7. Second, Palmer went in Round 8 or 9 because few thought he would be that good that soon.

I don't agree with using his % difference between #1 and #10 stat to be the basis for everything. There are 5 or 6 great RBs each year who average a lot of points, but after that there isn't much difference between starters. Sure SA avg'ed 22.1 points per game and Mike Anderson averaged 11.8. But the difference between #10 Mike Anderson and #20 Brian Westbrook is 11.8 vs. 9.8. If Palmer is going to get you 16.8 points per game vs. Bledsoe/Brees/Roeth/Delhomme getting you 12.5, that's more an argument to go stud QB/WR in late 1st/early 2nd - the RB you get in Round 2 will be about the same quality as the one you could have gotten in Round 1.

A blanket "wait on QB" strategy is just as sketchy as a "draft Peyton in Rd1" strategy.
Last edited by thriftyrocker on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Good read.

Fortunately, I didn't get a chance to jump on the Manning bandwagon last year. I didn't have a high enough draft pick in one league and he was kept in another.

I'm really liking Aaron Brooks this year considering the weapons around him and his average draft position. If Kerry Collins can put up top 10 numbers there, I'm confident Brooks can too.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Good read.

Fortunately, I didn't get a chance to jump on the Manning bandwagon last year. I didn't have a high enough draft pick in one league and he was kept in another.

I'm really liking Aaron Brooks this year considering the weapons around him and his average draft position. If Kerry Collins can put up top 10 numbers there, I'm confident Brooks can too.

It sounds like a good idea but I hate Aaron Brooks! :-t
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:04 pm

BALCOBOMBER wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:Good read.

It sounds like a good idea but I hate Aaron Brooks! :-t

Yeah, I hated Kerry Collins but he did fine as a Raider. No doubt Brooks will have the occassional 3 INT game, but he should be consistently solid in the OAK offense.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Read this the other day...

;-D
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk