Old QBs fighting the reaper? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Old QBs fighting the reaper?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Old QBs fighting the reaper?

Postby thriftyrocker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:28 pm

Here's how many years I think each of these QBs have left as an NFL starter. Are there any you think will last longer/shorter?

Jake Plummer (31) - 3 (maybe not all in Denver)
Drew Bledsoe (34) - 2
Trent Green (36 tomorrow) - 2 (I want to say 1 but Croyle's not ready)
Steve McNair (33) - 2
Brett Favre (36) - 1
Kurt Warner (35) - 1 (Leinart ready and waiting)
Mark Brunell (35) - 1 (Campbell waiting and sort of ready)
Brad Johnson (37) - 1 (Jackson not ready, but the man's 37)
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Old QBs fighting the reaper?

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:Here's how many years I think each of these QBs have left as an NFL starter. Are there any you think will last longer/shorter?

Drew Bledsoe (34) - 2
Steve McNair (33) - 2
Brett Favre (36) - 1

If Plummer has a weak year it will be his last in Denver as a starter.
Bledsoe i would say 1, Tuna's retiring after this year and that team was built for a win now, if they dont get it this year they wont get it next year for sure so i see him retiring.
T. Green i say depends on his year if its weak then its 1 if not 2 most likely.
McNair has 2 i would say, maybe 3 if hes healthy.
The rest i pretty much agree with.

Its nearing the end for Holcomb and Kitna as well im sure maybe one or two more years for each.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:49 pm

I didn't know Plummer was so old. I thought he was like 27 or 28. I agree with this list although I can see Plummer playing for more than 3 more years.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby terpfan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:51 pm

What makes you think Leinart os more ready than Campbell? Because he was drafted higher? He's still a year behind... They should both be ready by next year.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:57 pm

The cards are really in trouble. Warners old as father time and they have no decent backup. Theres no way Leinart will be able to play effectively this year. Navarre is also completely untested. If Warner goes down Arizona is in some deep trouble.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:24 pm

terpfan wrote:What makes you think Leinart os more ready than Campbell? Because he was drafted higher? He's still a year behind... They should both be ready by next year.

Because Leinart played in a pro-style system for 4 years, starting 3, and already knows how to read coverages and cycle through receivers. Campbell had 4 different OC in his 4 years at Auburn and didn't really show any signs of being able to be a pro QB until his senior year, thanks to Al Borges. Vince Young is probably where Campbell was as a Junior (only more mobile/dynamic), but Leinart has been doing those things a pro QB has to do for a few years now - Campbell's experience is a lot less. Granted, the pro game is faster and it's a new offense for him, but I still think Leinart is more ready to step in.
thriftyrocker

Postby terpfan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:34 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:
terpfan wrote:What makes you think Leinart os more ready than Campbell? Because he was drafted higher? He's still a year behind... They should both be ready by next year.

Because Leinart played in a pro-style system for 4 years, starting 3, and already knows how to read coverages and cycle through receivers. Campbell had 4 different OC in his 4 years at Auburn and didn't really show any signs of being able to be a pro QB until his senior year, thanks to Al Borges. Vince Young is probably where Campbell was as a Junior (only more mobile/dynamic), but Leinart has been doing those things a pro QB has to do for a few years now - Campbell's experience is a lot less. Granted, the pro game is faster and it's a new offense for him, but I still think Leinart is more ready to step in.

Fair enough. Its only opinion for either of us, but at least you backed it up. Well done.

Personally, I think "pro-style offense" is a little overrated. He's still going to have to learn the Cardinals offense. Its not like they are all the same. I guess we both agree that both Brunell and Warner have only a year (at most) left anyway, so how "ready" the two QBs are isnt really an issue.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Old QBs fighting the reaper?

Postby Crippler » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 am

thriftyrocker wrote:Here's how many years I think each of these QBs have left as an NFL starter. Are there any you think will last longer/shorter?

Drew Bledsoe (34) - 2
Steve McNair (33) - 2
Brett Favre (36) - 1

This post makes it sound like we're predicting their death.

I think they all have a longer amount of time left as starter than Michael Vick. Not because he's not good, but because I once saw him line up as a reciever... which is very cool but also a death wish.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:19 am

Jake Plummer doesn't belong on the list IMO. He's in his prime right now.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby thriftyrocker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:38 am

Kensat30 wrote:Jake Plummer doesn't belong on the list IMO. He's in his prime right now.

My question on Plummer is 1) how long can he hold off Cutler? and 2) when Cutler takes over, does any other team want him as anything other than a backup? How similar will his career path be to Kerry Collins - kicked out of NY after Eli was drafted, brought into Oakland to be Gannon's backup, has a couple uneasy years in Oakland and now can't find work. And Collins took NY to a Super Bowl.
thriftyrocker

Next

Return to Football Talk