Postby johnrambo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 am

Chris Chambers or Darrell Jackson?
" Who can make a play? T.O. can make a play." T.Owens
johnrambo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:16 pm

chambers...jackson is once again partly hype. That seattle passing game is very good, and very unpredictable.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby My team is injured » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:42 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:chambers...jackson is once again partly hype. That seattle passing game is very good, and very unpredictable.

though seattle's wr core underwent some changes this offseason (adding burleson and losing joe j), I still expect D-Jax to put up very good consistent numbers... I currently have him ranked slightly ahead of chambers but could understand an argument either way..,

what I don't understand is why d-jax would be "partly hype"... in his past 15 starts (including playoff games), d-jax has posted either a TD or 100 yds (or both) in 12 of these games... he is the indisputable number 1 on a team that can move the ball through the air or ground... with hasselbeck throwing last year, d-jax, engram, and jurevicious all put up very good stats in their games as the number 1 wr and that's with alexander getting monster numbers.. through the first 4 games last season prior to getting injured, d-jax averaged 7 catches for 94 yds and 0.5 tds... I see no reason to not expect him to put up comparable numbers this season (obviously not quite as high averages but about 6 catches per game for 80 yds with 8 tds overall)..
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby thriftyrocker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:54 pm

I think Chambers' ceiling is higher. He could be top 5 this year if Culpepper plays well and the offense clicks. I think both are legit fantasy #1s unless there's an injury.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Chambers is the "sexy" pick this year. With Culpepper coming into Miami everyone seems to envision Chambers as the next Randy Moss. Im not so sure. i think he will post quality numbers (heck he had a good year with Gus stinkin Feroutte at QB) but i dont expect him to jump into the elite class of QBs. I just dont trust Culpepper. Hes got to show me something without randy moss.

With that being said Seattle is a running team. No doubt about it. I still think Djax can be productive. I dont think he can carry your team but he can be counted on to post solid season totals.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fatnub2339 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:chambers...jackson is once again partly hype. That seattle passing game is very good, and very unpredictable.

The Seattle passing game is far from unpredictable. Djax has been one of the most consistent WR for the past few years
fatnub2339
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Chambers can post 1000 yards with roating QBs, none of which are any good. With Culpepper I don't think another 200 yards is out of the question, and that alone would likely put him ahead of D-Jax. I think Chambers makes a good mid-late 3rd rounder, while D-Jax is a good early 4th rounder.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:59 pm

8tds to me (djax's average over his career) does not a #1 make. Chambers has a much bigger upside. Seattle is run first. Alexander is their star. Miami has an unproven run game. Chambers, right now, is their man. Djax to me isn't any more of a number one reciever than burress. He's a fine #2.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:30 pm

id say chambers over jackson anyday...i don't care who is throwing him the ball, and with culpepper in the mix now tossing him the pigskin id say chambers takes jackson...and maimi doesn't have a running game is that i just heard? they averaged more yards per game for a season then their oppenents last year...ronnie brown as a rookie ran for 907 yards in 14 starts and averaged 4.5 yards per carry, was the 2nd leading rushing rookie last year only behind Cadillac (who had almost 90 more carries) but i guess that isn't a rushing game when you compare that to LJ and SA and tiki or any other VETERAN RB...i say both teams are built the same except the QB, both have other recievers to take the D's eyes off the star (engram, stevens; booker, mcmichael; SA;ronnie brown) but the phins have the edge, culepper is a more mobile QB which means D's have to gaurd not only against the pass but the rush with him where as Hasselbeck is, granted a great QB im not knocking his passer rating and completion%, but hes not as mobile....needless to say id say chambers has the better season
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:30 pm

Chambers is being hyped up like crazy. To me, it's a little unbelievable. I see him as CLEARLY at least a 2nd tier WR in the range of guys like Donald Driver and Rod Smith. Sure he is a solid #2 guy, but he's a 900/10 type player... the guy struggles to even break a 1,000 yards! Outside of one 200 yard game last year, he was the same player he has always been. 900/10. Game to game there are a lot of duds with 3 catches for 40-50 yards. Not WR#1 material at all. Chambers is a sexy version of Jerry Porter if you ask me. And an 85% Culpepper is not helping matters in 2006. Maybe I would give him a slight edge in a TD only league, that's about it.

Darrell Jackson was at the level where Chambers hopes to be during the 2004 season. He's already done it, there is no waiting for him to turn into a different WR, he is already there. And you can even totally disregard how much DJ had improved before and AFTER his injury in 2005. The guy was on pace to break into a new fantasy level, above the level where he was at in 2004, and above the level that Chamebrs hopes to approach in 2005.

Then you can look at the situation both players are in. The AFC East is getting weaker every year, but the NFC West is a fantasy bonanza for WRs. As if the meteoric rise of Fitz and Boldin last year weren't enough, you have the consistent dominance of the St. Louis passing game, and even Hasselbeck has been a top5 QB contender for several years now. Hasselbeck in Seattle is a MUCH better option than Culpepper coming off the knee in Miami BTW.

Jackson is a clear-cut #1 WR in a division riddled with weak secondaries. And unlike Chambers, he has shown that he has what it takes to pull down goto-WR numbers (~90/1200) for his offense. Chambers is just not a goto option.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk