League Bonus Points? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League Bonus Points?

Moderator: Football Moderators

League Bonus Points?

Postby madmike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:35 am

My friends league is considering adding a few bonuses to our scoring system. Things like 3 points for 100 yard rushing game or 300 yard passing day. Any examples of good ones for newbies to this area?

Right now we have pretty basic scoring rules, 6 pts for TD (rushing, passing or receiving) plus the points for yards.

We are also considering dropping QB TDs to 4 pts instead of 6.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:15 am

I would drop QB TDs to 4.

As far as the other bonuses, it's up to the league. If it makes it more fun, go for it.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gablefan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:39 am

I personally hate bonuses. Say one guy gets 99 yards and one guys gets 100. Is the guy that got 100 yds, worht 4 more points that day? In my opinion no. But to each his own.

And if you keep QB TD's @ 6pts., make sure you skew some of the rankings around here to to adapt to your scoring system.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby madmike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:41 am

Interesting point on 99 yards vs, 101.

How about things 1 point for receptions? Is that also something you guys have used?

Personally I don't see much benefit in these bonuses myself but a couple guys in league think they are great idea, rest probably don't care or understand. I want to go with what's best for league and sometimes keeping it simple is best.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gablefan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:54 am

I am a fan of the PPR league's. But we play with Qb's getting 6pt TD's, so it helps even things out for me.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby madmike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Other couple of guys are requesting are bonus point for "long" TD plays. Is that considered a best practice or bad idea?
Last edited by madmike on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby thatonepoorkid » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:13 pm

madmike wrote:Other bonus couple of guys are requesting are bonus point for "long" TD plays. Is that considered a best practice or bad idea?

I have the length of the TD influencing how many points you get for a TD and bonuses and i have to say that is my favorite league. Atleast try it out if you dont like it switch back next year.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dude_202 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:19 pm

I have a question too. I'm also a commissioner and I'm debating whether I should have both 10 rushing yards per point and 10 receiving yards per point. Other owners in my league say we should keep the 10 rushing yards per point, but they said change the receiving yards to 20 yards a point. They're saying that since we're already starting 3 WRs and only 2 RBs, it's going to give WRs much more of an advantage over RBs. They believe that 100 rushing is much more harder than 100 receiving too. What do you guys think I should to balance the scoring for all positions? Keep rushing/receving yards at 10 yards a point, or change receiving yards to 20 yards a point?
Dude_202
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Dude_202 wrote:What do you guys think I should to balance the scoring for all positions? Keep rushing/receving yards at 10 yards a point, or change receiving yards to 20 yards a point?

In 2005, there were 129 one-hundred yard rushing games and 156 one-hundred yard receiving games. That's not as imbalanced as these owners want you to believe.

I don't understand the difference if one position scores a tiny bit more. You adjust your strategy before the draft. If someone told me QBs get 7pts per TD, I'll adjust accordingly...making QBs more valuable.

I would keep the stats 10yds/pt for both RB and WR and just tell the whiners to pound sand.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Outside of the normal negative points, I have used the following system for many years and it balances out fairly nice.

TDs - 6 for rushing/receiving and 4 for passing
Yards - 1 for 10 rushing/receiving and 1 for 20 passing
1 point per reception for everyone but RB's. RB's get .5 per reception.

Of course every year you will have anomolies, but for the most part, this keeps many of the positions in line with each other. And to spice it up a bit, we give bonus points for long TDs of over 40 yards. Nothing more than that, just a bonus at TD scored of plus 40. Since these big plays don't happen all that often they don't normally determine a game, but it does make things a little more interesting.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Football Talk