Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems

Moderator: Football Moderators

Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems

Postby michaelavelli » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:37 am

Okay, so reading various posts about Edge this year, the one thing everyone mentions is his poorous O-line. Everyone has him still in the top 10, but man have him behind Jordan, Jackson, Rudi, Caddillac, and Ronnie.

I'm certainly not going to argue how bad the o-line is, but I was thinking today along the lines of a comparison between James and Jordan. I don't read a lot about how awful LaMont Jordan's o-line is even though they were only 3 spots higher than the last-ranked Arizona Cardinals in ypc last season. Jordan remains a solid option because of his TD potential as well as the ability to make himself a big factor in the passing game...sound familiar?

Not to mention that ypc is also dependent on the RB as well as the line and offense as a whole...think that James might be a slight upgrade over JJ Arrington and Marcel Shipp?

Assuming that you (like I do) think that James is a more talented RB than Jordan, why does he necessarily have to be ranked lower than him and these other guys? Can't a RB of his talent have a very productive season in Arizona despite this o-line? Obviously he won't have Indianapolis Colts numbers, but people seem REALLY down on Edge this year and I'm starting to think it could be a big mistake.

Thoughts?
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatonepoorkid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:41 am

The Cards O-line is not the best but the reason the Cards running game was no good last year is because the dident have a RB that was even close to not being bad. Edge will do fine in Arizona
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:43 am

Dennis Green is more of a pass-first type of a coach and Norv Turner is obviously run oriented. I think that helped Jordan even though the Raiders did have to play catch up alot.

Also, the history of Cardinal runners just doesn't bode well for Edge. Just seems like no matter who is running the ball, they just don't seem to do much with it. I think Edge is being ranked about where he should be. Obvoiusly there's no way he can match last year's totals from when he was a Colt, but 1,100 rushing yards and 400-500 receiving yards sounds feasible with around 10-12 total TD's. That puts him in the same category as guys like Rudi, Lamont, S-Jax, etc.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 am

You bring up some good points, michaelavelli...I have not really thought too much about where I would pick Edge, but I would definitely want him over Jordan, Caddy, and Ronnie Brown. I have him about even with Jackson and Rudi, and I would lean towards Jackson because I have a feeling he may break out this year as the centerpiece of the offense, whereas I get the feeling that the passing game will rule the show in AZ.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 am

onnestabe wrote:You bring up some good points, michaelavelli...I have not really thought too much about where I would pick Edge, but I would definitely want him over Jordan, Caddy, and Ronnie Brown. I have him about even with Jackson and Rudi, and I would lean towards Jackson because I have a feeling he may break out this year as the centerpiece of the offense, whereas I get the feeling that the passing game will rule the show in AZ.

As opposed to the anemic passing game of the Colts? ;-7

I think this is exactly why he will do well. He will make the most out of the opportunities he gets because they will be throwing so often, not to mention he should be a big part of the passing game himself. I agree with the original post, I think people are sleeping on this guy, and it bodes well for the savvy drafter.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:15 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
onnestabe wrote:You bring up some good points, michaelavelli...I have not really thought too much about where I would pick Edge, but I would definitely want him over Jordan, Caddy, and Ronnie Brown. I have him about even with Jackson and Rudi, and I would lean towards Jackson because I have a feeling he may break out this year as the centerpiece of the offense, whereas I get the feeling that the passing game will rule the show in AZ.

As opposed to the anemic passing game of the Colts? ;-7

I think this is exactly why he will do well. He will make the most out of the opportunities he gets because they will be throwing so often, not to mention he should be a big part of the passing game himself. I agree with the original post, I think people are sleeping on this guy, and it bodes well for the savvy drafter.

I get your point....like I said, it's a hair's difference in my rankings, and I really feel like Jackson has the better chance to become a top 2-3 RB by season's end than Edge does.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby michaelavelli » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:53 am

The passing attack in Oakland is actually cited as a GOOD reason for Jordan - is it not?

Just seems like very similar situations to me - two pretty bad offensive lines, two highly charged passing attacks, and two RB's who will be a huge part of the passing attack.

And Edge is, I think most of us would agree, much more talented than Jordan.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ngub12 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:02 am

bagobonez wrote:Dennis Green is more of a pass-first type of a coach and Norv Turner is obviously run oriented. I think that helped Jordan even though the Raiders did have to play catch up alot.

Also, the history of Cardinal runners just doesn't bode well for Edge. Just seems like no matter who is running the ball, they just don't seem to do much with it. I think Edge is being ranked about where he should be. Obvoiusly there's no way he can match last year's totals from when he was a Colt, but 1,100 rushing yards and 400-500 receiving yards sounds feasible with around 10-12 total TD's. That puts him in the same category as guys like Rudi, Lamont, S-Jax, etc.

No matter WHO is running the ball?? Think of actually who has been running the ball.

I hate this point when trying to determine Edge's value. The "history" of Cardinal runners is simply such because they have never had a legitamite threat at RB. We all know how horrid they are at evaluting talent in the draft and also, how stingy they are when signing a FA. This is the first quality back that they have had in... quite a while we'll put it that way.

They broke out the big bucks for James who is one of the best backs in the league as far as raw talent goes. I just dont think you cant just write him off for being in Arizona. The oline is improving and the players have another year under Green's system. James seems like a proven guy who is the perfect plug in piece to really get the offense going.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gablefan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 pm

I just don't see them staying committed to the run. BTW didn't the Cards have Thomas Jones a few years back? He isn't bad now.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 pm

I agree that's he'll have a good year (although I am an Edge owner). The Cards O-Line isn't as bad as advertised. It's not great, but the real problem was lack of depth. They had 4-5 guys injured last year with no one to speak of behind them. Also, they added a key FA and drafted Lutui to help.

Remember, Edge did come out quite a few times near the goal-line with Indy. I'm expected very similar if not better overall numbers as with Indy. A few less rushing yards, a few more receiving yards, possibly a few more TD's.

Thomas Jones is NO Edge...
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Football Talk