Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ngub12 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:53 pm

see below
Last edited by ngub12 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ngub12 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:56 pm

gablefan wrote:I just don't see them staying committed to the run. BTW didn't the Cards have Thomas Jones a few years back? He isn't bad now.

Make no mistake, Thomas Jones is NO Edgerrin James. Not to mention Arizona's offense now (without James) is far better than it ever was when Thomas Jones was on that team.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gablefan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:34 pm

ngub12 wrote:
gablefan wrote:I just don't see them staying committed to the run. BTW didn't the Cards have Thomas Jones a few years back? He isn't bad now.

Make no mistake, Thomas Jones is NO Edgerrin James. Not to mention Arizona's offense now (without James) is far better than it ever was when Thomas Jones was on that team.

gee thanks for the update.....

I know, but I think there are some teams who are committed to the run and some who are not. I don't think AZ has/ will establish that philosophy.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:37 pm

gablefan wrote:
ngub12 wrote:

I know, but I think there are some teams who are committed to the run and some who are not. I don't think AZ has/ will establish that philosophy.

Helluva lotta money to spend on a premiere RB then, don't you think?

I think the team gameplan is built around the players - if they go out and spend a buttload of $ on the best RB available in FA, I think that's a little more indicitave of their attentions than a vague "I think there are some teams that don't committ to the run".
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:54 pm

michaelavelli wrote:
gablefan wrote:
ngub12 wrote:

Helluva lotta money to spend on a premiere RB then, don't you think?

I think the team gameplan is built around the players - if they go out and spend a buttload of $ on the best RB available in FA, I think that's a little more indicitave of their attentions than a vague "I think there are some teams that don't committ to the run".

Is that why St. Louis drafted Stephen Jackson two years ago when they were squarely focused on a pass-first offense ,and their defense was old and in shambles? GMs and coaches aren't always on the same page when it comes to personnel or team philosophies. Signing Edge could have just as much to do with generating excitement for a historically mediocre team franchise is opening a new stadium this year.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:43 pm

The short and simple answer to the Jordan James comparison is that Jordan's line is not getting worse, his supporting cast is not getting worse, and he was playing top 10 last year. Edge's o-line and surrounding cast is getting dramatically worse from last year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby teacupwoozy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:11 am

Dennis Green doesn't know how to implement a running offense, but to be fair emmett did well on a similar cardinals team not so very long ago. smith is obviously more talented then edge but was much older at the time. i say edge is in for no better then rudi numbers this year, probably worse, and that he won't hit paydirt much with pope fitz and boldin as good redzone targets and the poor line. 12 TD's 1650 yards in his first year in a new offense sounds more then reasonable to me. he might get a few more yards and maybe one or two less TD's, letting edge run behind that line is a better option then stacking the box and allowing the big three to make catches.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:15 am

I have Edge ranked higher than Jordan as he is a more talented back. There are concerns over how well he will do in a offense that has been death to RBs of late. Though nobody will confuse JJ Arrington as Edge, nobody thought he'd suck as bad as he did last year. The line and scheme had to contribute to that. So it wouldn't be surprising to see Edge's numbers slip this year. That is why he has been slotted 7-10th spots.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby terpfan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:12 am

Just something to keep in mind for anyone who thinks Edge, Fitz, and Boldin wont be able to put up great numbers all in the same offense. Lets look at the last time Denny Green had three players of their caliber.

2000 season
Robert Smith: 295 carries, 1521 yards, 7 TDs
36 catches, 348 yards, 3 TDs
Chris Carter: 96 catches, 1274 yards, 9 TDs
Randy Moss: 77 catches, 1437 yards, 15 TDs

Is everything else equal? Probably not. But you cant help but look at those numbers and think...hmmmmm...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby D3C4K » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:46 am

Eh, a 35 year old Emmitt Smith broke 1,000 all-purpose yards along with 9 tds through 15 games in 2004, and passed for another (for what it's worth). That all happened when Boldin was battling injury (missed the first six games in '04), and Fitz was adjusting in his first year in the league (both receivers combined for 1,403 yards and 9 tds, which is pretty much what each of them did separately last year). So I figure if an older Emmitt Smith, who critics were doubting before his 2004 season due to past injury and rapidly declining stats, can manage nice fantasy numbers behind that line, with a mediocre passing game to boot, then Edge sure as hell can put up decent numbers as well. While I probably wouldn't take him over Portis or Tiki this year as in the past, I'd feel just fine with him as one of my rbs, as I really don't see a player of his caliber dropping off in a decent offense as long as he stays healthy. Just my 2 ¢
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas