Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James and his O-Line Problems

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:37 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
onnestabe wrote:You bring up some good points, michaelavelli...I have not really thought too much about where I would pick Edge, but I would definitely want him over Jordan, Caddy, and Ronnie Brown. I have him about even with Jackson and Rudi, and I would lean towards Jackson because I have a feeling he may break out this year as the centerpiece of the offense, whereas I get the feeling that the passing game will rule the show in AZ.

As opposed to the anemic passing game of the Colts? ;-7

I think this is exactly why he will do well. He will make the most out of the opportunities he gets because they will be throwing so often, not to mention he should be a big part of the passing game himself. I agree with the original post, I think people are sleeping on this guy, and it bodes well for the savvy drafter.
indeed, i got him with the 10th pick in my league, and feeling very good about it...
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:48 am

terpfan wrote:Just something to keep in mind for anyone who thinks Edge, Fitz, and Boldin wont be able to put up great numbers all in the same offense. Lets look at the last time Denny Green had three players of their caliber.

2000 season
Robert Smith: 295 carries, 1521 yards, 7 TDs
36 catches, 348 yards, 3 TDs
Chris Carter: 96 catches, 1274 yards, 9 TDs
Randy Moss: 77 catches, 1437 yards, 15 TDs

Is everything else equal? Probably not. But you cant help but look at those numbers and think...hmmmmm...

Thank you. Many people say Green is a "pass happy" coach but he did run the ball well when he had a RB to do it. His last few years in Minny, he didn't have a great RB to work with and we all know that he didn't have any RB last year. Comparing this to the Martz/SJax scenario isn't really valid bcause SJax was a rookie and needed time to learn the speed of the NFL game. That same coach in StL helped MFaulk put up some legendary FF numbers.

I think Edge good be a great pickup around 6-8 for whichever owner is lucky enough to get him. I put him right in the mix with SJax/Jordan. I rank them Edge/SJax/Jordan based solely on what I feel their schedules will do to them.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby HomeyJJ » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:57 am

People will get the point that Edge can still do great in Arizona when he finishes in the top 8 in fantasy points for a Running Back.

When your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing." - Bo Schembechler
--HERE WE GO LIONS, HERE WE GO!
HomeyJJ
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:10 am

The Edge has the ability to make ANY O-line look better. :-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby michaelavelli » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:12 am

onnestabe wrote:Is that why St. Louis drafted Stephen Jackson two years ago when they were squarely focused on a pass-first offense ,and their defense was old and in shambles? GMs and coaches aren't always on the same page when it comes to personnel or team philosophies. Signing Edge could have just as much to do with generating excitement for a historically mediocre team franchise is opening a new stadium this year.

so you're suggesting that because a team is "pass heavy" they'll completely ignore the RB position when they have an aging Marshall Faulk holding down the position? and thus when they draft a RB, it's somehow a contradiction?

i love the "Team signs player X to generate excitement" argument. it was one of the biggest calling cards for the "Why the Texans Will Draft Reggie Bush" camps. how's that workin out for ya?

if you guys think that the Cardinals dropped huge money on the best available RB available to have a familiar name on the back of the jersey and still run the ball 11 times a game and "focus on the pass" then i submit to you that you do not know what you're talking about.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:14 am

michaelavelli wrote:
onnestabe wrote:Is that why St. Louis drafted Stephen Jackson two years ago when they were squarely focused on a pass-first offense ,and their defense was old and in shambles? GMs and coaches aren't always on the same page when it comes to personnel or team philosophies. Signing Edge could have just as much to do with generating excitement for a historically mediocre team franchise is opening a new stadium this year.

so you're suggesting that because a team is "pass heavy" they'll completely ignore the RB position when they have an aging Marshall Faulk holding down the position? and thus when they draft a RB, it's somehow a contradiction?

i love the "Team signs player X to generate excitement" argument. it was one of the biggest calling cards for the "Why the Texans Will Draft Reggie Bush" camps. how's that workin out for ya?

if you guys think that the Cardinals dropped huge money on the best available RB available to have a familiar name on the back of the jersey and still run the ball 11 times a game and "focus on the pass" then i submit to you that you do not know what you're talking about.

Pay the man, Shirley.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Turf Toe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:48 am

If a retiring RB like Emmit Smith can run behind that Oline, then I have no doubts that a Young and Talent Edge James can run behind it.
Turf Toe
Water Boy
Water Boy

Supporting Casts

Postby FFCoppola » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:41 am

Warner + Boldin + Fitz + Pope will arguably outproduce Manning + Harrison + Wayne + Clark.

You heard it here first. Anyway, the problem is the O line, and James really is a good fit there. He's arguably the best pass protecting halfback in the NFL, which suggests two things :

1. Indy's line isn't nearly as good as people think: Manning is rarely sacked, but that has a lot to do with James (and the line's singleminded focus on protection). It's not a top 10 run blocking line.

2. That Warner will have more time in the pocket (and a target in the flat if nothing is happening downfield).

Edge will do fine in Arizona, since he'll finally be on a team that will make him the centerpiece of the offense, rather than a red herring for Manning-to-Harrison. I predict fewer yards, a lower YPC, but more TD's.
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 am

I think the key to Edge's success will be the QB. If and when Kurt Warner gets hurt, defenses are going to force rookie Matt Leinart to try to beat them, and that's not going to bode well for Edge's stats.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gablefan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 am

michaelavelli wrote:

OK but what about Defense? Will Denny be content to play catch up 4 yards at a time with Edge, while havind Fitz and Boldin? I just still see too much up in the air to have faith in Edge in AZ?

And Correct me if I am wrong someone, but was that Minny team not the second most potent offense in the history of the NFL? I just don't see that happening in AZ. And that is why I have Edge ranked lower than most.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk