When to draft J. Walker? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When to draft J. Walker?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RotoDig » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:12 am

I drafted him in the 4th rd. of my keeper as my WR2. He's worth the risk, especially in a keeper league. I'd consider him a steal if he drops to round 6.
RotoDig
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

UGH

Postby FFCoppola » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:02 am

I'm way down on Walker.

1. Jake Plummer is not exactly an amazing throwey guy. He is not ever going to mak his receivers look better than they are. Nor is he going to put up numbers to make more than one receiver terribly great (if any).
2. Rod Smith is Plummer's guy. Javon may or may not be #1 on the depth chart but Smith is the first look.
3. Denver is a run first team. No Denver receiver was terribly great last year. There aren't enough passes.
4. Walker had a serious injury and hasn't played since. He's recovered, but you never know.

Despite all this, there are silly people in drafts taking him in the 4th, 5th, 6th rounds. Above Reggie Brown, McNabb's WR1. Above Joey Galloway. Above Lee Evans, who is more talented than Walker anyway, even if in Buffalo.

I doubt I'll draft him at all this year, though I might take him as a flier in Round 8 or 9. He could probably put up Ashley Lelie numbers...
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I think Walker is a WR3 with great potential or a questionable WR2 that you had better get a WR3 with some potential if you take him. 4th seems early, 5th maybe, 6th definitely
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J2thez929 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Walker is currently being drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds of 12 man drafts. I'd personally be very happy to have him as my #2 WR this year
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Turf Toe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:39 am

I think Walker is good, but probably over-rated. He got good stats 2 years ago, but look at his QB. 4000yards & 30TDs a season? of course Walker is gonna get good stats. Also Walker is coming back from a season ending knee surgery!!! Players never come back the same and usually leave again half way through the season. I'm not so sure about his true value.

Anyway, I've seen him drafted around round 5-7.
Turf Toe
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:21 am

Turf Toe wrote:I think Walker is good, but probably over-rated. He got good stats 2 years ago, but look at his QB. 4000yards & 30TDs a season? of course Walker is gonna get good stats. Also Walker is coming back from a season ending knee surgery!!! Players never come back the same and usually leave again half way through the season. I'm not so sure about his true value.

if your saying that people cant come back from injuries and be healthy all season....look at steve smith. I just think this is a steve smith situation all over. i would easily grab walker in the 5th and possibly the 4th depending on my team. This is a guy who was being drafted in the top 5 last year for wr's. The talent is there. They will get him the ball.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 am

DelhommesFan1 wrote:
Turf Toe wrote:I think Walker is good, but probably over-rated. He got good stats 2 years ago, but look at his QB. 4000yards & 30TDs a season? of course Walker is gonna get good stats. Also Walker is coming back from a season ending knee surgery!!! Players never come back the same and usually leave again half way through the season. I'm not so sure about his true value.

if your saying that people cant come back from injuries and be healthy all season....look at steve smith. I just think this is a steve smith situation all over. i would easily grab walker in the 5th and possibly the 4th depending on my team. This is a guy who was being drafted in the top 5 last year for wr's. The talent is there. They will get him the ball.

Steve Smith broke his leg, Javon Walker hurt his ACL. There is a huge difference between the two injuries. I just dont think hes going to be what he was in 04.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:04 am

Let's see now, just how crazy were they in GB for not giving in to his contract demands? Sounds like they were right on the money. I don't see this guy really ever making a big splash again. Someone already said it...Brett Favre made him. He will never get that many looks again. Not touching him in the first 8 rounds, and not until I have at least 2 guys ahead of him. Might work out in a TE/WR flex league though.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:13 am

I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as WR2, although if I was absolutely stocked at all my other positions and I grabbed him in round 6 or 7 then i might be more comfortable.

He's got upside, there's no doubt about that, but it's just so hard to predict a guy's numbers when he's on a new team and coming off an injury. IF there are proven guys like Donald Driver or even someone like Eddie Kennison still hanging around, there's really no reason to take a chance on Walker.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Billsbacker » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 am

Walker is going to be drafted well before he should be in almost all drafts.....let others take him with visions of past glory, but in reality (as mentioned elsehere herein), even if he is fully recovered from injury, he's now in a run-first offense and starting opposite Rod Smith, who will still be the go-to, possession guy. WAY too much downside (and too little upside) to take him above Driver. I'd rather have Driver, Galloway, Mason or Bennett, especially when I can likely get them a round or two later!
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk