Trading Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading Strategy

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Here is proof that you don't have to have a great draft to have a great team. (keep in mind this was a 2005 money league with my friends). This is what I had at the end of the season. I didn't include the bench players in this list. I had exactly 2 of the same starters from opening day to the final week: Carson Palmer and Pittsburgh D/ST. I drafted players such as Deuce McCallister, Randy Moss, and Brian Westbrook. 12 team, H2H redraft league. Here it is:

QB: Carson Palmer
RB: Larry Johnson
RB: Clinton Portis
WR: Anquan Boldin
WR: Hines Ward
WR: Koren Robinson
TE: Jeremy Shockey
K: Jay Feeley
D/ST: Pittsburgh

My strategy was to work the WW as much as possible and try and make my team better each week by making a trade. What are some of your guy's strategies when it comes to improving your team week-to-week?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm curious, of those year-end starters, which did you trade for, which did you pick up off the WW, and which were late round draft picks for you?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:44 pm

onnestabe wrote:I'm curious, of those year-end starters, which did you trade for, which did you pick up off the WW, and which were late round draft picks for you?

I traded for LJ, Portis, Boldin, Ward, and Shockey. I can't remember exactly (although I have them somewhere on another computer) who I traded to get them, but I know I packaged Westbrook with some other player(s) to get Portis and someone else the week before Portis exploded for 3 TDs. I then found an owner who was desperate for QB help a couple weeks later, and I had just picked Eli up as a FA, so I packaged someone else and got Antonio Gates for him, then traded Gates in a package for LJ the week after he started his first game, and then packaged Moss for Boldin and Ward. So, (at least in the league I'm in), I've found that if you find owners that are desperate for a position, they will overpay pretty highly to get that position.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:45 pm

I had the same exact year as you. I only had two of my initial picks of the draft at the end of the year. Here is what my starting roster looked like at the end of the season:

Qb: S. McNair
Wr: S. Smith, T. Holt, J. Jurevicius (J. Porter would be starting if he was playing on grass that given week. He puts up stats on weeks he is playing on grass I found out :D)
Rb: L. Johnson, R. Johnson
Te: J. Stevens
K: N. Rackers
Def: Denver

My two players I kept all season long were: W. McGahee, and R. Johnson (actually traded Rudi away then traded for him right back)
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I'm curious, of those year-end starters, which did you trade for, which did you pick up off the WW, and which were late round draft picks for you?

I traded for LJ, Portis, Boldin, Ward, and Shockey. I can't remember exactly (although I have them somewhere on another computer) who I traded to get them, but I know I packaged Westbrook with some other player(s) to get Portis and someone else the week before Portis exploded for 3 TDs. I then found an owner who was desperate for QB help a couple weeks later, and I had just picked Eli up as a FA, so I packaged someone else and got Antonio Gates for him, then traded Gates in a package for LJ the week after he started his first game, and then packaged Moss for Boldin and Ward. So, (at least in the league I'm in), I've found that if you find owners that are desperate for a position, they will overpay pretty highly to get that position.

Nice work, FantasyMan, just goes to show that no matter how bad things look after the draft you can always recover if you work hard enough and do your research.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:22 pm

I also believe in working the waiver wire hard.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk