Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/

Postby ds209 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 am

My big redraft money league is drafting in a few weeks and I have the 2nd spot out of 10. I've done a few mocks at the 2 spot and every time I have grabbed 2 rbs and a WR in the first 3 rounds. However, during my last mock draft, I decided to try going RB/WR/WR in the first 3 rounds. My team turned out well with 2 stud WRS (Holt and Fitz) and I loaded up on RB's with upside for the next 3 rounds. My RBS turned out to be Larry Johnson, Dillon, Dunn, Bell and Marion Barber.

My question is: What does everyone think of this strategy? The RB's in my opinion are weak after you get past the McGahee type. Is it ok if I have 2 stud WRs, a stud RB and a bunch of solid RBs to platoon at the 2nd RB spot?

I know this post was long and nobody wants to read it but I would really appreciate some input. Thanks
ds209
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby louisianacajunsam » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:46 am

well, i'm in a ppr league....

but i would definately go with this strategy with 1-3 pick spot...might as well have 3 guaranteed studs and then get lucky by picking up a few more iffy rb's...and dunn, chester taylor types arent really that big of longshots....

i like loading up early and then still taking a chance on a guy like fred taylor that you can usually get in like the eigth-ninth round
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:47 am

If you use the search function, you'll find at least 4 threads where this has been discussed at length.

I would say that there's no consensus but a lot of people have argued that RB/WR/WR is a good strategy if you're drafting at the top of the board this year. Remember, who to draft always depends on who has been drafted. ;-D

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Doctor P » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:21 am

I have also landed the 2 spot in my redraft money league and been doing alot of mock drafts following the same strategy. I typically end up either LT or Alexander at 2 followed by Randy Moss and Fitzgerald. My RBs don't end up being that bad, atleast IMO, picking up Kevin Jones, Ahman Green, Chris Bown...

However, in drafts where I went RB/WR/RB, I might've done better, drafting LT, R Moss, Dom Davis/Westbrook, and then typically either Plax, S Moss, or Roy Williams in the 3rd.

It really all depends who's out there when you're pick comes around.
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:22 pm

If a capable RB you like is available with the third round pick you gotta look long and hard at taking the RB since a run would leave you high and dry with a shaky RB#2. Unless WR are very comparable to RB's in value, I'd be looking RB/WR/RB first and if the RBs available do not do much for you, there will most likely be a really good bargain at WR left and go that route.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:48 pm

It always depends on what your league-mates are doing.

I have the 3rd pick this year. I'll could see going RB1 WR1 RB2 or RB1 WR1 WR2.

Basically, I'll pick my 2 starting RBs and 3 starting WRs in the 1st 5 rounds. Then my RB3 QB1 and TE1 in rounds 6, 7, 8
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:56 pm

I agree, it depends, but something to keep in mind...
Whenever I go, RB, WR, WR, I always end up taking a back that costs me another pick. If it's a K Jones I need Calhoun, if it's addai I need rhodes, C Taylor I need like, eight other backs, etc....
If your man is there in the third take him, but I wouldn't reach for a WR just on principle. Is Chambers really worth a third round pick? Arguable, but I don't think so if you can get a willie parker/or mcgahee. But those guys keep going higher and higher, so perhaps they aren't the best of examples.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:02 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:I agree, it depends, but something to keep in mind...
Whenever I go, RB, WR, WR, I always end up taking a back that costs me another pick. If it's a K Jones I need Calhoun, if it's addai I need rhodes, C Taylor I need like, eight other backs, etc....
If your man is there in the third take him, but I wouldn't reach for a WR just on principle. Is Chambers really worth a third round pick? Arguable, but I don't think so if you can get a willie parker/or mcgahee. But those guys keep going higher and higher, so perhaps they aren't the best of examples.

You don't have to handcuff every RB you draft, you know :-? I can see wanting to get Rhodes if you get Addai, but there's no reason to get Calhoun or a Minny backup.

And I have a feeling that if you were to go RB, WR, WR with an early pick, you would find better WRs available than Chambers in the early 3rd round.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:11 pm

I guess you're right. A better example would have been D. Williams and D Foster, C Dillon and L Marouney (or however the hell you spell it) you know what I mean, though. I just hate getting stuck with the back in the 4th or 5th that eats up another pick. Amahn Green is another. Do I take Gado, Davenport? It just gets, super, super, messy.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GatesIsABeast » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:12 pm

I think RB/WR/WR is a pretty sweet strategy this year if you have one of those top 3 picks. Pairing SA, LT, or LJ with a couple of receivers like Harrison/Moss or Fitz/Holt just seems downright ridiculous. This is, of course, if you don't buy in to the second tier of RBs this year: Dom Davis, Julius Jones, Westbrook, etc.
GatesIsABeast
Monday Morning Quarterback

Next

Return to Football Talk