Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:I guess you're right. A better example would have been D. Williams and D Foster, C Dillon and L Marouney (or however the hell you spell it) you know what I mean, though. I just hate getting stuck with the back in the 4th or 5th that eats up another pick. Amahn Green is another. Do I take Gado, Davenport? It just gets, super, super, messy.

Why not try to get Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, and Curtis Martin? If you already got two stud WRs in rounds 2/3, you should be able to load up on middle RBs. At least one of those guys should stay pretty healthy, and if one starts out hot, you can trade him for value elsewhere.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:32 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Why not try to get Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, and Curtis Martin? If you already got two stud WRs in rounds 2/3, you should be able to load up on middle RBs. At least one of those guys should stay pretty healthy, and if one starts out hot, you can trade him for value elsewhere.

I agree. Rather than handcuffing lesser starting backs with expensive backups, I'd rather have stable of 4 or 5 non-premiere starters and play the odd that one of them will pan out.

In a lot of drafts I have seen, guys like Droughns, Foster, Taylor, etc. have been available in the 4th/5th round.

in the second and 3rd rounds, it seem to be more like westy, JJ, KJ, Dillon, C Taylor, etc smattered in with WRs. I'll usually let those types of RBs slip and look for value in the later rounds if I have a stud #1 RB like LJ, LT or SA. I still see Dayne going in the later rounds, and in one of my Yahoo leagues, he went undrafted!
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 am

GatesIsABeast wrote:I think RB/WR/WR is a pretty sweet strategy this year if you have one of those top 3 picks. Pairing SA, LT, or LJ with a couple of receivers like Harrison/Moss or Fitz/Holt just seems downright ridiculous. This is, of course, if you don't buy in to the second tier of RBs this year: Dom Davis, Julius Jones, Westbrook, etc.

Exactly. Even though there are plenty of RB's to take, those first three are leaps and bounds above everyone else. Because of that, it's much easier to think about addressing needs at other positions before you worry about another RB.

Personally, my thought for this year is that you as a drafter cannot allow the top 6-8 WR's to stay around by the time the top three drafters get their second pick. There are so few WR's that are "sure things," and if the first drafters can pair their uber-stud RB with an extremely consistent WR, they are going to be tough to beat...especially if they find a second RB or WR that busts out later in the draft. :-o

Don't underestimate the value of a top WR - how many teams do you see win your fantasy championship that don't have one of the top 5 WR's? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Retet » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am

I completely agree with this strategy, within reason and within the drafting patterns of your league.

Case in point: One of my leagues is running back crazy. Last year I had the #1 overall pick. I took LT2. Then with my next picks: CJ, TO, Steve Smith, Warrick Dunn, DeShaun Foster. I was the best team in the league by a long shot. And while LT2 was a great part of that success, its was the CONSISTANCY of the WRs that made the team.

The key for drafting WRs in the early rounds is to pick the proven point scoreres, not the WR who had his first and only great year the previous season.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Here's a good article from Fanball about this very phenomenon.

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6897

It makes a lot of sense. Why take a RB in round 2 with a lot of questions surrounding them, when you can get an elite stud WR?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby ds209 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Thank you, The Lung ;-D

That article did make a lot of sense... The difference between, say, Brian Westbrook in the 2nd and someone like Dunn/Lewis/Dillon etc. is much less than the difference between a guy like Fitz and a Donald Driver type.
ds209
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Berge20 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Good article

I'm running with this strategy in a Cafe League http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=149 so it isn't full of slackers.

As an example, I drafted 2nd in the 10 team league and the first 5 rounds have gone:

S. Alexander
T. Holt
R. Moss
W. Parker
C. Taylor
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Stelly » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:10 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the RB/WR/WR strategy drafting from the end of the draft, in the 7-9 picks?
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:23 pm

I've been pimping RB/WR/WR for people with a top 3 pick (ESPECIALLY in 10 teamers) for months now.

Assuming the cards fall properly (IE don't reach if it's an odd draft where a RB that shouldn't be there falls to you or all the top tier WR's are gone by your 3rd round pick), do it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Retet » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:38 pm

Stelly wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the RB/WR/WR strategy drafting from the end of the draft, in the 7-9 picks?

This is a good question. In a 10 team league, those late picks position a player differently -- he or she should have a shot at two second/third tier RBs, whereas the first five picks have the RB pickin's somewhat slimmer.

I'd love to read posts on this topic from those more enlightened than me.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk