Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategy for 2nd spot... RB/WR/WR/

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:48 am

Free Bagel wrote:I've been pimping RB/WR/WR for people with a top 3 pick (ESPECIALLY in 10 teamers) for months now.

Assuming the cards fall properly (IE don't reach if it's an odd draft where a RB that shouldn't be there falls to you or all the top tier WR's are gone by your 3rd round pick), do it.

No doubt...that's why I said it's critical for drafters 4-10 to snag the top 6-8 WR's before the "Big 3" drafters get that extra advantage. Make them be the ones to pick a #2 RB with a question mark and hope they make the wrong choice. If you allow them to take a top-flight WR, they effectively have a solid #2 RB to go along with whoever else they draft. If they are forced to take lower tier WR's with more question marks, the inconsistency of the position will hurt their overall team. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 am

in all my mocks this year ive been following the rb/wr/wr strategy if im inside the top 3 or 4. If I am late, I will prolly grab 2 rbs just because the talent level may still be high there if somebody takes manning or grabs stevie smith early.

Ive just noticed this year after that 2nd teir of rbs, the leftover rbs tend to fall dramatically in the mocks ive done. Ive seen dillon fall all the way to the 5th before. And people over look fred taylor and curtis martin alot. I know they arent much...but when people grab starting rbs in the 9th and 10th rounds...its still very good value
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wbgrafix » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 am

Now I have a question for you guys:

We only get 3 points per passing/receiving TD and 6 for rushing.

Would you still use the RB/WR/WR strategy?
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby elblake3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 am

That does change a lot if your scoring system favors the RB more or WR more and it might be better with a RB/RB/WR for you if it is a mid to late first rounder. I believe if you have a top 4 pick( get your RB) then less RB are available and stay with the Rb/WR/WR.
elblake3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby elblake3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:10 am

Also along with this stategy and talks of what you guys will get rounds1-5 im curious about QB availibility!?

I have 2 QB's in my league and I do not want to settle for a Bulger, Bledsoe, Delhomme, Green, etc. when I would like to get 1 of Manning, Brady, Palmer, Hasselbeck. I mean that first list of QB's is fine but not when u have 2 Qb spots
elblake3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:18 am

wbgrafix wrote:Now I have a question for you guys:

We only get 3 points per passing/receiving TD and 6 for rushing.

Would you still use the RB/WR/WR strategy?

No, I wouldn't still use this strategy, but I have to ask, what is the rationale behind the scoring system? I don't really see why you would want to make RBs so powerful - you pretty much make it impossible to recover from a crappy draft position.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 am

elblake3 wrote:Also along with this stategy and talks of what you guys will get rounds1-5 im curious about QB availibility!?

I have 2 QB's in my league and I do not want to settle for a Bulger, Bledsoe, Delhomme, Green, etc. when I would like to get 1 of Manning, Brady, Palmer, Hasselbeck. I mean that first list of QB's is fine but not when u have 2 Qb spots

I approach these discussions from the standpoint that I would rather have 2 mid-level QBsto play matchups with from week to week. Now this obviously won't work if you have to start 2 QBs. If that is the case, I am putting the top 5 QBs right alongside my top 5 WRs, and instead of RB/WR/WR, I would be drafting for RB/WR or QB/WR or QB
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

Postby elblake3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:24 am

onnestabe wrote:
elblake3 wrote:Also along with this stategy and talks of what you guys will get rounds1-5 im curious about QB availibility!?

I approach these discussions from the standpoint that I would rather have 2 mid-level QBsto play matchups with from week to week. Now this obviously won't work if you have to start 2 QBs. If that is the case, I am putting the top 5 QBs right alongside my top 5 WRs, and instead of RB/WR/WR, I would be drafting for RB/WR or QB/WR or QB

Thanks omnestable but I dont understad that last part for drafting.
elblake3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 am

elblake3 wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

I approach these discussions from the standpoint that I would rather have 2 mid-level QBs to play matchups with from week to week. Now this obviously won't work if you have to start 2 QBs. If that is the case, I am putting the top 5 QBs right alongside my top 5 WRs, and instead of RB/WR/WR, I would be drafting for RB/WR or QB/WR or QB

Thanks omnestable but I dont understad that last part for drafting.

Sorry...I mean that from early position in a league that starts 2 QBs, I would want to go:

1st round: RB
2nd round: QB or WR
3rd round: QB or WR
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk