Jerry Rice to sign with the 49ers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerry Rice to sign with the 49ers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jerry Rice to sign with the 49ers

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Nah, he's not gonna play - just announced he's gonna sign a 1 day contract so he can retire as a 49er, probably for the Thursday night game against the Seahawks. Only fitting he goes out as a 49er.
;-D ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:17 pm

these things are kind of stupid if you ask me. didn't like it when emmit did it. don't care for it now with rice.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:20 pm

I thought he was going to retire as a dancer ;-7

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:22 pm

nah. Doesn't bother me any. Dude played most of his career, and had all of his memorable games with, the niners. He's showing love for where he came from, and not hurting anybody in the process. A lot of guys could have been bitter about their team not keeping them, but he's got enough class to separate business from the game, the the city, and the fans who supported.

I say good for him. ;-D
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm

I'll always remember Jerry as a 49er, only fit he retires under them. Still sad to see one of the games all-time greatest go.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Good for Jerry. Maybe the best football player of all time in my opinion. The mark he left on the record books is insane.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:34 pm

He should sign with the 49ers for more than one day. Alex Smith is gonna need all the help he can get.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 pm

"Jerry Rice signs one game deal associated press reports -

Jerry Rice retired NFL Wide Receiver comes out of retirement for 1 game in the 2006 football season. Arizona at San Francisco in Week 16 the final game of the regular season at San Francisco will feature limited playing time by 49er great Jerry Rice according to 49ers head coach Mike Nolan;

"We decided to bypass contract restrictions for this special occasion. We wanted to give the fans a treat and see the great Jerry Rice on our turf one more time... Having Jerry play for us this late in the season will give him adequate time to work out with the team a bit before seeing the field again. He's going to be taking a relaxed schedule during the regular season, attending games with the team and having his leadership presence in the locker room."

Fun to think about eh? Heheh
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:55 pm

if he wanted to retire a niner he shoulda stayed there. this is stupid. :-t
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:02 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:if he wanted to retire a niner he shoulda stayed there. this is stupid. :-t

They let him go, dude. He didn't just storm out angry. He left with class, and still had a couple of productive seasons across the bay. So in order to stay in the city he loves, he has to take a giant paycut because the ownership sucked and wanted to get rid of him so crybaby TO didn't have to share the spotlight? Who is he hurting? I'm not a niners fan, but I respect what he did for the game, and I think the vast majority of niners fans think it's cool. (and that's who he's doing it for). ;-D
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Football Talk