Jerry Rice to sign with the 49ers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerry Rice to sign with the 49ers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:42 am

most players who jumped around alot dont try to go back and retire from a certain team. Its those who spent a majority of thier career on one team, and who made their name there.

Rice will always be a 49er to most people, and when he gets into the hall of fame, he should be wearing a 49er jersey. The 49er fans deserve to remember him as a 49er, and rice deserves to end his career with them if thats what he wants.

Same thing with emmit and the cowboys. He made his legacy with the cowboys, and that is how he should go down in history.

I think it is great when guys like rice and smith do this. Rice was practically a god to SF fans for years, same with smith in dallas. It is a sign of respect for the fans that cheered them on for years.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 am

drmoses wrote:On a side note, did anyone see him on Pros vs. Joes?

He absolutely torched those guys.

Yeah, I liked that show. One of the guys actually did pretty well against him though, if I remember correctly.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby terpfan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 am

Sixxgunn wrote:I think it's stupid that players retire as a part of a team. Some of these guys have been part of 6-7 teams before they are done, and never spent a majority of it anywhere (obviously not the case here). What if you spent exactly 5 years in SF, and 5 in NE? Say you won a SB in both cities? Consider you were drafted by the Rams, and traded before you played a game? Which is the team you retire with? Just retire, as you, not "Jerry Rice, 49er". Just being Jerry Rice is more than sufficient.

The guys who are on two teams and win a superbowl with both usually arent the guys doing this. Its the Jerry Rice's and Emmitt Smith's that do. Ive always thought it was more in appreciation of the team and its fans than anything else.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:I think it's stupid that players retire as a part of a team. Some of these guys have been part of 6-7 teams before they are done, and never spent a majority of it anywhere (obviously not the case here). What if you spent exactly 5 years in SF, and 5 in NE? Say you won a SB in both cities? Consider you were drafted by the Rams, and traded before you played a game? Which is the team you retire with? Just retire, as you, not "Jerry Rice, 49er". Just being Jerry Rice is more than sufficient.

Deion Sanders is a good example. Was drafted by Atlanta, played for San Francisco, Dallas and Washington as well. Yet Deion says he wants to retire a Falcon, strangely enough.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:17 pm

There's a rumor that Jerry Jones has outbid the 49rs with a 2 game deal for Rice...

- BREAKING NEWS -

.... not to be outdone, the Skins have jumped in with a $20M 5-year deal.

:-b :-b
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:02 pm

stomperrob wrote:Anything that helps drive up the value of my Jerry Rice rookie card is okay by me!
;-) :-D

Seriously! It's so sad that we live in an era when Jerry Rice's 1986 Topps RC, his only RC, is worth barely $100 in raw condition. While at the same time, Michael Vick, who hasn't done squat, has his best RC valued at $1,400+. Supply/Demand just bites.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Anything that helps drive up the value of my Jerry Rice rookie card is okay by me!

Seriously! It's so sad that we live in an era when Jerry Rice's 1986 Topps RC, his only RC, is worth barely $100 in raw condition. While at the same time, Michael Vick, who hasn't done squat, has his best RC valued at $1,400+. Supply/Demand just bites.

Sell high on that! Vick will never make the HOF.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby programatik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:20 pm

This shows a lot of repsect for his fans that still admire him. I will also forever remeber him as a 49er. There is no question that most of his career / glory days came under the red and gold. Even if he is just doing it for himself, I can understand his wishes. If Nolan is trying to represent class by wearing a suit on the sidelines, than having Rice come back to retire here is another fine example.
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Deion Sanders is a good example. Was drafted by Atlanta, played for San Francisco, Dallas and Washington as well. Yet Deion says he wants to retire a Falcon, strangely enough.

dont forget baltimore :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

Sell high on that! Vick will never make the HOF.

Sadly, the Vick SP Authentic RC will probably stay there for quite some time. The set is extremely beautiful, very limited and it's both a jersey and autographed card from Vick. I doubt it ever sees triple digits.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk