Andre Johnson - Why so low? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson - Why so low?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Andre Johnson - Why so low?

Postby inferno19 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Why is everybody so down on Andre Johnson this year? He is ranked generally out of the top 10, and often out of people's top 20 WRs this year. As far as I understand, many attribute the flaws in his performance on defenses keying on him, as he was Houston's only viable receiving threat. Another reason was O-Line play, as Houston's O-line is the butt-end of many, many jokes, and with no time to throw, it's fairly hard to let a guy of Johnson's speed beat any corners if Carr's getting sacked right away. However, my question is - with the development of Houston's line, improved meshing and new scheme, as well as the addition of Moulds, is there any reason to expect terrible numbers from AJ?
I don't think so...and many mocks and rankings I've seen have him listed below the likes of guys like Galloway, Driver, Kennison, Horn, etc. I personally feel he is an insane talent trapped in a terrible system, and WR is the worst position to have that situation. Because, as a WR, you HAVE to have somebody to get you the ball...QBs can make star receivers (See: Peyton/Stokley), RBs can carry teams (See: LT), but only the rare exception at WR can make his team look better than it is (See: Randy Moss/Vikings). I think Andre Johnson isn't exactly on the same level as Moss, however, with the system improving and beginning to look better for the future - why is everyone so low on him?
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:52 pm

To be honest, if he gets back to being a viable receiving target then GREAT! More power to him. But I wont draft him hoping he finds his way, because Houston after all is still Houston.

Here is a good quote for this situation: "It doesn't matter if you put lipstick on a pig, cause afterall its still a pig!"

Good luck!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:56 pm

I think you kind of answered your own question. He just doesnt have the talent around him he needs to succeed. Not to mention he regressed a bit last year (even considering that he missed a few games), after improving his first two years. He's definately a high risk/ high reward player. Antsports ADP has him going at WR17, just after S. Moss, Burress, and Driver. That seems fair to me.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:56 pm

don't question it...take advantage of it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Andre Johnson - Why so low?

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:38 pm

inferno19 wrote:Why is everybody so down on Andre Johnson this year? He is ranked generally out of the top 10, and often out of people's top 20 WRs this year.

CJ, S Smith, Fitz, Boldin, Holt, TO, Marvin, R moss, Chambers, Ward, D-Jax, there are more than 10 good reasons why AJ isn't in the top 10. I mean, after being not even worth the roster spot in many leagues last year, why should he?

Top 20? I think you're thinking people are too low on him. He's usually a late 4th early 5th round pick. The 11 guys I mentioned, S Moss, Walker, Roy Williams, Burress, maybe Driver go before him. That would leave us at 16th, so even if Housh or someone else got above, he's definitely in just about everyone's top 20 when it comes draft time.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Stallion145 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:03 pm

I have AJ at #18 this year, just below Galloway & ahead of
TJ Housh. That's still good enough to be an RB2. He sure doesn't
deserve to be rated an RB1, until he shows me he deserves it.
So far, I've avoided him in the drafts I've participated in, because
I was burned by him last year.
Stallion145
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby johnpax » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:26 pm

inferno19 wrote:Why is everybody so down on Andre Johnson this year? He is ranked generally out of the top 10, and often out of people's top 20 WRs this year. As far as I understand, many attribute the flaws in his performance on defenses keying on him, as he was Houston's only viable receiving threat. Another reason was O-Line play, as Houston's O-line is the butt-end of many, many jokes, and with no time to throw, it's fairly hard to let a guy of Johnson's speed beat any corners if Carr's getting sacked right away. However, my question is - with the development of Houston's line, improved meshing and new scheme, as well as the addition of Moulds, is there any reason to expect terrible numbers from AJ?
I don't think so...and many mocks and rankings I've seen have him listed below the likes of guys like Galloway, Driver, Kennison, Horn, etc. I personally feel he is an insane talent trapped in a terrible system, and WR is the worst position to have that situation. Because, as a WR, you HAVE to have somebody to get you the ball...QBs can make star receivers (See: Peyton/Stokley), RBs can carry teams (See: LT), but only the rare exception at WR can make his team look better than it is (See: Randy Moss/Vikings). I think Andre Johnson isn't exactly on the same level as Moss, however, with the system improving and beginning to look better for the future - why is everyone so low on him?

He's the #2 WR for the Texans, why are you so HIGH on him?

In 3 years, he's never been in the top 20 WRs. He's never had more then 6 TDs. (ROY had 8 tds with the lions, Evans 9/7 with the bills)

Where did all this "he's an amazing talent" come from. He's just not that good. It's H-Y-P-E. He's o-v-e-r-a-t-e-d. Every year, AJ is about to bust out. Ever think he's just not that good? He'll be the Lee Evans role this year, Moulds will get 80 catches, AJ will hover around 50. (or the Lelie role, except AJ isn't as good of a deep threat, Lelie consistantly leads the league in ypr).

Currently he's WR18 Andre Johnson.

So he's ranked for a CAREER YEAR. Wow that's underrated. Or maybe he's overrated AGAIN. The guy is constantly ranked higher then he's ever produced.

So if you draft him there, you're projecting a career year. And people have been protected a career year for the last 2 years. How did that work out?

Stop trying to project career years from people, and then picking them in spots that if they don't have a career year, you killed your WR corps. You'd really take AJ at 4.01 (his current ADP)?

Good luck with that.
johnpax
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby fatnub2339 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 pm

inferno19 wrote:He's the #2 WR for the Texans, why are you so HIGH on him?

am I missing something?
fatnub2339
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 pm

fatnub2339 wrote:
inferno19 wrote:He's the #2 WR for the Texans, why are you so HIGH on him?

am I missing something?

No you arnt....i think we know something that johnpax doesnt know :-D :-D

hey pax, please join my league so u will take Moulds ahead of AJ since, "AJ isnt their #1 WR" :-D :-D :-D
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:11 pm

maddog60 wrote:S Moss, Walker, Roy Williams, Burress, maybe Driver go before him

I would take Plax, Williams and Driver before AJ every day, all day. Walker's got the injury risk, crappy QB on a run 1st team, Rod Smith is the man in DEN question marks. S Moss is fast, but on a run 1st team with a wheelchair QB.

In any case. Yes. . . last year many people had him higher. These people were the same people who were burned by him (myself included). I personally don't feel comfortable with Houston, Carr, the O-line, or anything. On top of that, he's got a new system to learn, etc. I realize he'll probably do better this year, but that's only because he was so terrible last year. People have negative emotional reactions to dogs if they were attacked by one when they were young. FF owners have negative emotional reaction to players that tried to kill their team. ;-)
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Football Talk