Andre Johnson - Why so low? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson - Why so low?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Andre Johnson - Why so low?

Postby inferno19 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:18 pm

johnpax wrote:
inferno19 wrote:Why is everybody so down on Andre Johnson this year? He is ranked generally out of the top 10, and often out of people's top 20 WRs this year. As far as I understand, many attribute the flaws in his performance on defenses keying on him, as he was Houston's only viable receiving threat. Another reason was O-Line play, as Houston's O-line is the butt-end of many, many jokes, and with no time to throw, it's fairly hard to let a guy of Johnson's speed beat any corners if Carr's getting sacked right away. However, my question is - with the development of Houston's line, improved meshing and new scheme, as well as the addition of Moulds, is there any reason to expect terrible numbers from AJ?
I don't think so...and many mocks and rankings I've seen have him listed below the likes of guys like Galloway, Driver, Kennison, Horn, etc. I personally feel he is an insane talent trapped in a terrible system, and WR is the worst position to have that situation. Because, as a WR, you HAVE to have somebody to get you the ball...QBs can make star receivers (See: Peyton/Stokley), RBs can carry teams (See: LT), but only the rare exception at WR can make his team look better than it is (See: Randy Moss/Vikings). I think Andre Johnson isn't exactly on the same level as Moss, however, with the system improving and beginning to look better for the future - why is everyone so low on him?

He's the #2 WR for the Texans, why are you so HIGH on him?

In 3 years, he's never been in the top 20 WRs. He's never had more then 6 TDs. (ROY had 8 tds with the lions, Evans 9/7 with the bills)

Where did all this "he's an amazing talent" come from. He's just not that good. It's H-Y-P-E. He's o-v-e-r-a-t-e-d. Every year, AJ is about to bust out. Ever think he's just not that good? He'll be the Lee Evans role this year, Moulds will get 80 catches, AJ will hover around 50. (or the Lelie role, except AJ isn't as good of a deep threat, Lelie consistantly leads the league in ypr).

Currently he's WR18 Andre Johnson.

So he's ranked for a CAREER YEAR. Wow that's underrated. Or maybe he's overrated AGAIN. The guy is constantly ranked higher then he's ever produced.

So if you draft him there, you're projecting a career year. And people have been protected a career year for the last 2 years. How did that work out?

Stop trying to project career years from people, and then picking them in spots that if they don't have a career year, you killed your WR corps. You'd really take AJ at 4.01 (his current ADP)?

Good luck with that.

Where did the hostility come from? Nobody said Johnson was the #2 to Moulds, Johnson is actually listed first on their depth chart while Moulds is 3rd.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/HOU

I'm not projecting a career year, a breakout season, anything. I'm simply saying that he is very talented, and has had some games that warrant that talent and leave us with stars in our eyes. Whether or not those stars are warranted remains to be seen, but I'm going to say they are, and believe that a lack of consistency is to be blamed on bad surrounding talent and system.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:27 pm

johnpax wrote:
inferno19 wrote:Why is everybody so down on Andre Johnson this year? He is ranked generally out of the top 10, and often out of people's top 20 WRs this year. As far as I understand, many attribute the flaws in his performance on defenses keying on him, as he was Houston's only viable receiving threat. Another reason was O-Line play, as Houston's O-line is the butt-end of many, many jokes, and with no time to throw, it's fairly hard to let a guy of Johnson's speed beat any corners if Carr's getting sacked right away. However, my question is - with the development of Houston's line, improved meshing and new scheme, as well as the addition of Moulds, is there any reason to expect terrible numbers from AJ?
I don't think so...and many mocks and rankings I've seen have him listed below the likes of guys like Galloway, Driver, Kennison, Horn, etc. I personally feel he is an insane talent trapped in a terrible system, and WR is the worst position to have that situation. Because, as a WR, you HAVE to have somebody to get you the ball...QBs can make star receivers (See: Peyton/Stokley), RBs can carry teams (See: LT), but only the rare exception at WR can make his team look better than it is (See: Randy Moss/Vikings). I think Andre Johnson isn't exactly on the same level as Moss, however, with the system improving and beginning to look better for the future - why is everyone so low on him?

He's the #2 WR for the Texans, why are you so HIGH on him?

In 3 years, he's never been in the top 20 WRs. He's never had more then 6 TDs. (ROY had 8 tds with the lions, Evans 9/7 with the bills)

Where did all this "he's an amazing talent" come from. He's just not that good. It's H-Y-P-E. He's o-v-e-r-a-t-e-d. Every year, AJ is about to bust out. Ever think he's just not that good? He'll be the Lee Evans role this year, Moulds will get 80 catches, AJ will hover around 50. (or the Lelie role, except AJ isn't as good of a deep threat, Lelie consistantly leads the league in ypr).

Currently he's WR18 Andre Johnson.

So he's ranked for a CAREER YEAR. Wow that's underrated. Or maybe he's overrated AGAIN. The guy is constantly ranked higher then he's ever produced.

So if you draft him there, you're projecting a career year. And people have been protected a career year for the last 2 years. How did that work out?

Stop trying to project career years from people, and then picking them in spots that if they don't have a career year, you killed your WR corps. You'd really take AJ at 4.01 (his current ADP)?

Good luck with that.

Everyones entitled to their opinion, and everyone has the right to remain silent. You may be right, you may not. The guy is built, hes a freak. There is every reason to see a big break out from him, hes got a complementary #2 in moulds, to take away double coverages. a Good RB, and decent back-up. The line has improved, well based on it cant get worse, and if Carr can stand up he can at least toss the ball somewhere and AJ will be there to get it, hes a freak.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby HomeyJJ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:40 pm

I have Johnson as the 17th best WR. That's not to say he can't break out. I just haven't seen anything special from him. Yet.

When your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing." - Bo Schembechler
--HERE WE GO LIONS, HERE WE GO!
HomeyJJ
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:27 pm

ampant wrote:
maddog60 wrote:S Moss, Walker, Roy Williams, Burress, maybe Driver go before him

I would take Plax, Williams and Driver before AJ every day, all day. Walker's got the injury risk, crappy QB on a run 1st team, Rod Smith is the man in DEN question marks. S Moss is fast, but on a run 1st team with a wheelchair QB.

The maybe was only meant for Driver. The other guys, whether they deserve to or not are going to go before AJ in just about every draft. I said maybe with Driver because in a dynasty he'll likely get passed up for AJ.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Carr hasn't done much but if the Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan additions can give him some time then AJ could have a big year.

I would rank him as an OK #2 WR with #1 potential but he would be better targetted as at #3.

He is a top 5-7 talent in the NFL at WR.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:46 pm

I agree with pro Johnson responses in this thread.

I will be targeting him in the 5th round as a #2/#3 WR.
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:32 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Carr hasn't done much but if the Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan additions can give him some time then AJ could have a big year.

I would rank him as an OK #2 WR with #1 potential but he would be better targetted as at #3.

Somewhere an old lady is yelling "Bingo!" just for this post.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 am

I'm with Cheesehead for the most part (as usual). :-D

We all know WR's are the most inconsistent players in fantasy football. I'm just throwing these numbers out, but here's what I think of WR's for fantasy:

"#1" WR - Someone who will get 80-120 yards and/or 1-2 TD's 75% of the time.

"#2" WR - Someone who will get 50-80 yards and/or 1-2 TD's 75% of the time.

"#3" WR - Someone who will get 50-80 yards and/or 0-1 TD's 50% of the time.

Anyway, onto Johnson...he fit the "#3" category last year, and I can't imagine he'll do much better this year. The team really isn't much better off than last year although adding Moulds may help a little to draw coverage. Still, Carr needs time to throw. If he gets it, Johnson will do well. I don't like their schedule either (IND and JAX twice, AFC East once each, plus DAL and NYG once). :-o

I haven't been high on this guy since his first year in the league. I'd rather take a more consistent player than take a chance with Johnson in round 4. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Top20? Sure

Top10? No thanks

The potential is there, but I would personally rather take my chances on a guy like Darrell Jackson or Plaxico Burress in a more stable position.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:25 pm

biju wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Carr hasn't done much but if the Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan additions can give him some time then AJ could have a big year.

Somewhere an old lady is yelling "Bingo!" just for this post.

BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk