Winning W/O the Internet - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Winning W/O the Internet

Moderator: Football Moderators

Winning W/O the Internet

Postby Dr. Rottencrotch » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:50 pm

This is probably way off of the beaten path but I had a question that I felt that the users at the Cafe could answer. Is it possible to go old school and win a fantasy league using newspapers, ESPN, and magazines? Can you win a fantasy league WITHOUT using the internet?
Please explain why you think that you can or cannot do it.
"Advantages are taken not handed out" J. Hetfield
Dr. Rottencrotch
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:08 pm

Anything can be done. Stats are important, but the news and depth charts are more important, IMO. The value of the internet is the efficiency. You could get subscriptions to the newspapers of all the major cities and cover the news, and then read them all for the fantasy relevant news, and then Tivo all the games during the year, spending the week watching them all to make sure you didn't miss anything, but you are talking about a huge time requirement.

You can win without using the internet, but you put yourself at a huge disadvantage to those who do use the internet.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 pm

onnestabe wrote:You can win without using the internet, but you put yourself at a huge disadvantage to those who do use the internet.

That's the key right there, you would be doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you could use the internet as a tool and choose not to. Honestly I wouldnt tell somebody to read a fantasy magazine to get fantasy info unless I thought they might be a top contender for the championship because more times then not the magazines are either outdated or they don't provide actual opinions from more people then just who wrote the article. I think getting many sides of fantasy discussions are key, you tend to learn both sides and then you can go about making your own projections based on what you discussed.

BTW: Welcome to the Cafe!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am

probably, but i cant imagine doing it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 am

i'm sure you could...but why would you want to try?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dr. Rottencrotch » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:20 am

The reason that I posted this was because my friends and I were discussing the old days and this topic came up. I have been a long time reader and knew that this would be the perfect forum for this inquiry. We have all been in leagues for 10+ years and we were talking about the days when the Commish had to get the paper and compile all of the scores, receive the phone calls for transactions, and appease the owners who felt that they were getting screwed. I agree that you can win w/o the internet but it would take insane dedication. I also think that the internet has made it really easy for a casual fan to seem like a fantasy expert.

Thanx for the welcome mystykeokaki. My brother and his friends are huge Vikes fans and can't wait until the norsemen arrive in Buffalo. Thank you also, onnestabbe, Dan Lambskin, and moonhead for your input. ;-D
Last edited by Dr. Rottencrotch on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Rottencrotch
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:21 am

I played in a few Yahoo leagues when I was living in Europe. I had limited net access and spent maybe 2 hours on a Saturday crunching some numbers but used USA today for alot of it. I believe I have 3 2nds and a 4th place.

YOu can do it easily in a cheap league, get into it with guys who know what they are doing and you will have issues.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:35 am

Dr. Rottencrotch wrote:The reason that I posted this was because my friends and I were discussing the old days and this topic came up. I have been a long time reader and knew that this would be the perfect forum for this inquiry. We have all been in leagues for 10+ years and we were talking about the days when the Commish had to get the paper and compile all of the scores, receive the phone calls for transactions, and appease the owners who felt that they were getting screwed. I agree that you can win w/o the internet but it would take insane dedication. I also think that the internet has made it really easy for a casual fan to seem like a fantasy expert.

Thanx for the welcome mystykeokaki. My brother and his friends are huge Vikes fans and can't wait until the norsemen arrive in Buffalo. Thank you also, onnestabbe, Dan Lambskin, and moonhead for your input. ;-D

It's all about a level playing field. Back in the old school days before the internet was widely used, everyone did use the mags and papers.

Nowadays, everyone has a computer and access to the internet. If not at home, at work... so using the superior media as far as speed, quantity and accessibility is a no brainer.

Things have evolved and to go old school to try and prove a point would be pretty silly and sad. Especially in a money league.

Here's an analogy that I think will drive my point home:
Let's say a modern day nfl team had a tough guy RB. That tough guy decides to try and prove how tough he his by putting on a leather helmet and circa 1920's pads and gear and challenging the defense of his team in modern helmets and pads to tackle him on a dozen running plays during practice.

So what will happen here? This RB is going to end up with some serious bruises or a concussion and what has he proved? Everyone who witnessed this display just kind of shakes their head. He survived.. sure, but he would have been running a lot more confidently and not been as sore if he just used modern equipment. No one is impressed by this show of bravado and the RB was running so scared that he braced himself for impacts and didn't pick up the same amount of yards that he would have with proper equipment.

So to answer the question directly, YES I think it is possible to use mags and newspapers w/o internet and compete with people using the internet for their information. So you will survive, but you really squander your chances of winning the league when you could have been much more competitive if you just played on the a level playing field with all the other teams.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:48 am

But how would you set up your line-up week to week? dun dun dun! :-b
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Dr. Rottencrotch » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:50 am

Saundman2000,
That is a great analogy. Please excuse me if I blatantly rip you off. My Bros will actually think that I have some intelligence.
Dr. Rottencrotch
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk