Winning W/O the Internet - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Winning W/O the Internet

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:04 am

I kind of miss the old days of pen and paper. I was actually much more informed, as I had to dig up every stat on every player, not just the ones I owned. That being said, I wouldn't trade the ease of the net for anything. Maybe it would be cool to get a "retro" league together and play that way amongst friends, but I don't know you could trust they would stick to the rules of no internet.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 am

Sixxgunn wrote:I kind of miss the old days of pen and paper. I was actually much more informed, as I had to dig up every stat on every player, not just the ones I owned. That being said, I wouldn't trade the ease of the net for anything. Maybe it would be cool to get a "retro" league together and play that way amongst friends, but I don't know you could trust they would stick to the rules of no internet.

Yeah i know i couldnt trust my friends at it, especially when im winning every game every week...(it always happens in my league with my close friends) bu i also end up losing the championship game.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:30 pm

Without the internet, I'd only be able to brag to about my yahoo public league wins to a few active owners... here I can brag to the WORLD!!! ;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:54 pm

My high school buddies and I keep in touch by having a fantasy football league together. That particular season one of our friends was going to school to be a police officer, so his time free to do things like fantasy football was scarce. He didn't have internet access, no time to make add/drops, he just studies the players based on his limited knowledge of the previous season. In any case, he went the entire season without once checking in on his team, making and transactions, nothing.

Guess who won the league?

It's possible to get it done, but very difficult. He lucked out because he had an amazing draft and a fairly cush schedule. Seems like every team he played that season was one of the lowest scoring teams in the league that particular week. Of course, it didn't hurt that Marshall Faulk was his RB in a year when Faulk was the Larry Johnson of fantasy football.

Personally, I think it's possible for someone to old-school it, just not likely. If you have enough savvy, just watching the games should be enough for you to understand what's going on. I attend a restaurant on Sunday's that has every game on at the same time, so I see everything as it's happening.

The downside to having no internet or news is that you won't know how badly a player is hurt if someone gets banged up. Say Chester Taylor limps off the field in a Week 4 contest. If the announcers at the gametime don't have news for you, you'll be guessing about whether he's okay or whether it's time to pick up Ciatrick Fason.

Another downside is, if there are off-field issues or locker room problems, not having the news will vastly limit your knowledge and reaction times. Everything you learn will be word of mouth, and we all know how unreliable that ends up being.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:My high school buddies and I keep in touch by having a fantasy football league together. That particular season one of our friends was going to school to be a police officer, so his time free to do things like fantasy football was scarce. He didn't have internet access, no time to make add/drops, he just studies the players based on his limited knowledge of the previous season. In any case, he went the entire season without once checking in on his team, making and transactions, nothing.

Guess who won the league?

It's possible to get it done, but very difficult. He lucked out because he had an amazing draft and a fairly cush schedule. Seems like every team he played that season was one of the lowest scoring teams in the league that particular week. Of course, it didn't hurt that Marshall Faulk was his RB in a year when Faulk was the Larry Johnson of fantasy football.

Personally, I think it's possible for someone to old-school it, just not likely. If you have enough savvy, just watching the games should be enough for you to understand what's going on. I attend a restaurant on Sunday's that has every game on at the same time, so I see everything as it's happening.

The downside to having no internet or news is that you won't know how badly a player is hurt if someone gets banged up. Say Chester Taylor limps off the field in a Week 4 contest. If the announcers at the gametime don't have news for you, you'll be guessing about whether he's okay or whether it's time to pick up Ciatrick Fason.

Another downside is, if there are off-field issues or locker room problems, not having the news will vastly limit your knowledge and reaction times. Everything you learn will be word of mouth, and we all know how unreliable that ends up being.

We had a guy miss the draft, so we did auto-draft for him based on ADP... he wound up in 3rd place. The guy never traded or did add drops... and this was a local $$$ league.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Does watching sportcenter count as old school? because they give updates on most of the players and such as the week progesses, not to mention PTI and ESPN NEWS.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:37 am

You could get lucky but I have to say no.

There are alot good web site that give valuble info of Mock Drafts and Averge Draft portion, and info on hiddin gems and that.

Without the internet the best can come up with up is a score bought fantasy magazine and unless you buy a very good one and there isn't many. Your going to be at a real disadvantage useing it.
THE TERMINATOR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 am

Of course you could. You didnt need a magazine or the internet to get lucky last year when you drafted Palmer, LJ, etc. You just need some common knowledge, some luck, and a little skill from previous experience.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)