Alan Ricard released - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Alan Ricard released

Moderator: Football Moderators

Alan Ricard released

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:00 am

Sorry if this has been posted under some strange title ... didn't see it.

Anyways,

July 18, 2006 8:34 PM ET
Ravens: Ricard released
The News
The Baltimore Ravens released starting fullback Alan Ricard Tuesday. Ricard missed most of last year with injuries to both calves.
Our View
Jamal Lewis is the guy who this news will impact the most in the fantasy world. Ricard was given a lot of credit in helping Lewis reach 2000 yards in 2003. Was it a coincidence that Lewis had his worst season as a pro with Ricard stashed away on injured reserve last year? Ovie Mughelli and Justin Green are the leading internal candidates to replace Ricard as the team's starting fullback.

I can't see any reason why this would happen ... Ricard was one of the most underrated FBs in the league. There must have been lingering injuries. But still ... to not even make the camp roster?

Despite what Fanball says, does anyone think Mike Anderson reverts back to FB? I think it's a strong possibility. In my opinion, he's a natural fullback, and he could still fill-in as a 3rd down back or spell back.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:04 am

I think this is bad news for Jamal Lewis. I had him last year in one of my leagues and I remember reading news about him saying that part of the reason he'd had a bad game was because Ricard wasn't playing, or watch out next week J-Lew owners, Ricard won't be playing again. I also remember reading about how close Ricard and Lewis were as friends..

Well.. we'll see whether or not Ricard was a scapegoat for Lewis' poor performance last year.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:29 am

When I heard this report, whoever was brodacasting it acted like it was a sign of the Ravens changing offense. I don't really know much about it, but maybe they want to use more two back sets? My first impression was that it was good for Lewis, since this makes Anderson the top FB more than the 2nd RB, so you have to worry less about competition for carries from Anderson.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:21 am

Could Mike Anderson be a better fullback than starting fullback Alan Ricard? I doubt it. Even if this move makes you worry less about competition for carries from Anderson, I don't think it bodes well for Jamal, and this definitely leads me to downgrade Lewis in my rankings even more.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Dadd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 am

If Lewis is more dependant on Ricard (or any FB) to be effective, and Anderson is more comfortable operating out of a single-back offense (since Denver ran that), I would be more worried that if Jamal struggles that Mike would get more carries.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:28 pm

this is defintely not good news for JLew owners. I dont understand cutting him at all. Hes one of the better fullbacks in the league. Maybe the Ravens liked one of the two other guys listed in the article and didnt want to deal with damaged goods? Any Ravens fans have some insight?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 pm

yeah I posted it in the Ravens forum a few days ago...trying to give the team forums a boost...

The whole article is in there. His leg was bothering him, it was a wierd situation. This does hurt Jamal's status, not a lot, but a little. Jamal was very good running behind him but it won't make too much of a diff IMO.

But check the Ravens forum and read the article that thing has it all in there.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby biju » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:49 pm

Personally I think this move coupled with the likelihood of a two back system in Baltimore creates matchup problems for teams. They now need to bump up their LBs to protect against the run and will leave more man coverage in the secondary.

But if the Ravens use the pass to set up the run (a la Seattle) and force teams to play back this will allow more running room. It might mean less carries for Lewis but I see those carries being more effective.

Which RBs are you considering bumping him below on this news?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dadd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:02 pm

biju wrote:Personally I think this move coupled with the likelihood of a two back system in Baltimore creates matchup problems for teams. They now need to bump up their LBs to protect against the run and will leave more man coverage in the secondary.

But if the Ravens use the pass to set up the run (a la Seattle) and force teams to play back this will allow more running room. It might mean less carries for Lewis but I see those carries being more effective.

Which RBs are you considering bumping him below on this news?

I would say, for myself, that Jamal was somewhere around #12-15 RB. If he is at that position, then I wouldn't drop him any further than that, based on this news.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk