HOLDOUTs : At what cost? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

HOLDOUTs : At what cost?

Moderator: Football Moderators

HOLDOUTs : At what cost?

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:59 am

=>From a fan's perspective, watching a player hold out to get more money seems greedy and selfish.

=>From the player's perspective, holding out is leverage that they can use to maximize their profits for the few years that they get to participate and make a living off this great game.

=>From a teamate's perspective, some players understand the hold out and have used the same tactic while other players are turned off b/c they have never held out and may actually think less of the guy who is. If the holdout is a rookie, you may have never even met the guy yet you are preparing with your teamates building chemistry while your new teamate is hanging out with his agent at home watching the news on his plasma TV that he just bought on credit (anticipating the big bucks that are going to roll his way).

=>From a coaches perspective it is a bunch of crap. The guy holding out becomes a guy that doesn't seem dependable. You expect him to be there and train/play with the team and you have to move forward without him. So this may change the gameplan and leave your stragegy in kind of a limbo state.

So what does this all mean? Is it worth it to the player to hold out?

He stands to gain some money, but lose playing time and favor and image.

What impact does holding out have on the players career? It's a calculated risk, so overall, does he come out ahead or behind?
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:05 am

With the holdouts, depending how long you hold out in my opnion, the biggest issue is performance, take Benson for instance, he could have had a much better season last year if he hadnt held out. They should care a little less about the money, because the longer they wait for more money the worse they will play, at least the coming season. and they are being paid for production.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:11 am

aaawall91 wrote:With the holdouts, depending how long you hold out in my opnion, the biggest issue is performance, take Benson for instance, he could have had a much better season last year if he hadnt held out. They should care a little less about the money, because the longer they wait for more money the worse they will play, at least the coming season. and they are being paid for production.

Good point. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the duration of the Holdout is beyond the start of Training Camp.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:32 pm

LT held out into training camp....doesnt seem to be hurting his career at all.

I used to get angry when a player would hold out, typical greedy athlete. Now im not bothered by it. Dude is trying to get all the money he can before its too late? Can you really say you wouldnt do the same thing in your workplace if you could work out a contract? Would you get paid less just to make everyone happy when you know you could get more?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 pm

What 1st round offensive players will hold out this year? Who has a contract?

I especially asking about the top RBs, Lienhart, Davis, and a few WRs.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:36 pm

HOldouts seem to hurt rookies more than anyone, especially QB's and WR's. RB's can get away with it a little more. As a RB you don't have to think as much as you do with other positions. Running the ball is just read and react. Of course certain blitz pickups have to be learned, but of every position in the league RB is probably the least important as far as intelligence goes.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:55 pm

The only person to sign a contract is Mario Williams. He signed on draft day.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:LT held out into training camp....doesnt seem to be hurting his career at all.

I used to get angry when a player would hold out, typical greedy athlete. Now im not bothered by it. Dude is trying to get all the money he can before its too late? Can you really say you wouldnt do the same thing in your workplace if you could work out a contract? Would you get paid less just to make everyone happy when you know you could get more?

Yes, but is LT the exception or the rule? I would say he's the exception. Perhaps his rookie year would have been even better if he had gelled with the team in training camp?

It does work both ways though.... If a team's management is difficult to work with, then sometimes it's less the players fault and more the management's. I could be wrong, but I think that was the case with LT.

I think even since LT was rookie in 2001 things have changed and Holdouts seem to be much more commonplace. It almost seems the default for players taken in the first round.

It's very rare nowadays that all the players of a given NFL team even report to training camp. I think the Bears were an exception this year and signed all their rookies well before training camp.

It seems to me to be a disturbing trend that's bad for the game. Does no one else see it that way?
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Im sure the Bears were much more willing this year to put up a little more money with the incident with Benson last year.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:50 pm

I remember on draft day I think Torry Holt got asked about holdouts, and gave a very unique player's perspective, basically explaining why its actually better, not just for the team, but for the player financially to get into camp on time.

*HINT HINT* To all those rookies I'm expecting to pickup in dynasty leagues.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk