From what I've heard, Wilford is number one with Jones lining up as number 2

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Just for kicks, here's a really nice article from the Jaguars Web site addressing the wideout and tight end positions...

http://www.jaguars.com/story/5287.asp

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor

In their hands rest more than the football. In their hands may rest the fate of the Jaguars this season. They are the Jaguars' pass-catchers, and they are the critical players on this team because one of them or all of them have to replace the most productive player in Jaguars history.

Who will be the next Jimmy Smith? Matt Jones? Reggie Williams? Marcedes Lewis? Ernest Wilford?

Smith shocked fans when he announced his retirement just prior to the start of the spring practice season. All of a sudden, the Jaguars were without a number one receiver; without the receiver who led the team in receiving yards each of the last 10 years.

Lewis, Jones and Williams are the Jaguars' last three first-round picks, so, logically, they should be expected to represent the team's starting receiving corps. Jones is currently playing at Smith's “X” receiver position, with Williams at flanker and Lewis likely to become the team's top pass-catching tight end.

Then there's Wilford, who led the Jaguars in touchdown catches (seven) and yards per catch (16.6) last season. Wilford was second to Smith in receptions (41) and yards (681), and Wilford asks, “Why not me?” Yeah, why not Wilford, who goes into training camp as Williams' backup and the Jaguars' number three wide receiver.

All eyes are on Jones. He would seem to be the player who has the best chance of achieving stardom. Jones' rookie season was dedicated to making the transition from college quarterback to pro wide receiver. Now, he's being counted on to make the transition from prospect to play-maker.

Williams was the ninth pick of the 2004 draft. He has yet to have the kind of breakout season expected of a top 10 pick and he'll be given every opportunity in this training camp and preseason to express his talents. This could be the make-or-break year of Williams' career.

Wilford is a former fourth-round pick who lacks speed but seems to always find a way to make plays. If he jumps up again in this summer's training camp and in the preseason games, his ability must be acknowledged with increased playing time.

Behind those three wide receivers are a couple of veterans, a second-year guy who warrants consideration, and a handful of others fighting for roster or practice squad consideration.

This is the make-or-break year for Cortez Hankton. He's got size, some speed and good hands. He was defeated by nagging injuries last summer. This summer, he needs to stay healthy and prove he can be more than just a guy on the roster.

The Jaguars signed Troy Edwards, who they cut last summer. Edwards is a veteran who knows how to play the game and gives the team some insurance at the position. Any chance he has of making the team rests with the dependability he offers.

Chad Owens was a big hit last summer in his rookie camp. Owens was drafted to be a punt-returner, but if he's going to make the team this year, it'll probably have to be as a pass-catcher. He'll be given the chance.

Randy Hymes, Fred Stamps, Kahlil Hill, Charles Sharon and Felton Huggins are all facing uphill battles. The Jaguars kept six wide receivers at the start of last season, but that included Owens, who was considered more of a return man.

Kyle Brady remains the Jaguars' starting tight end, based almost solely on Brady's reputation as one of the game's best blocking tight ends. The team drafted Lewis in the first round to become the down-the-seam pass-catcher they've lacked. Coach Jack Del Rio's hope is that Lewis' presence in the middle of the field will open up the outside for his tall wide receivers.

George Wrighster can catch a little and block a little, and he could make a significant move forward in his career this summer if he does a little more of each.

Brian Jones is a pass-catching tight end who will probably lose opportunities to Lewis. Jones will be forced to seek a higher level of performance this summer.

Todd Yoder is coming off a season lost to knee reconstruction. Yoder adds quality depth at tight end, but his real contribution has to be on special teams.

The Jaguars kept five tight ends on their roster last season.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheAlphaMale » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm

At the beginning of the season i see it being Jones and Wilford lining up as the starters w/ Wilford catching more balls than Jones, but Jones being the catalyst to the majority of big plays on the Jags offense.

In my eyes Reggie Williams is just about to jump into the bust category along with fellow first rounder Rashaun Woods.
TheAlphaMale
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Philly Pride » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:54 pm

Reggie Williams was the #2 in camp last year and he didn't do anything. Wilford's the better player and should win the other starting receiver job if Del Rio knows what he is doing.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:11 am

So after a couple of weeks two things are certain: The Jax receivers are huge. Matt Jones is starting to get it.

Now what about Ernest Wilford?
Sportsline.com wrote:Wilford may be a bit undersized but he's a hard worker who creates opportunities for himself to get open and has very good hands. He should see a lot of playing time in '06 and should be worth a middle- to late-round pick as a No. 3 Fantasy receiver -- and that's whether he ends up starting or not.

well, CBS has it wrong since Wilford has bad hands, and is anything but undersized at 6-4 218.
I still think he's the "go-to" guy for Leftwich. While Jones might be a red-zone guy, Wilford will be the guy clocking 80-100 yard games and still manage some TDs. This team might pass a lot more than you think if Fred Taylor goes down.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:06 am

skibrett15 wrote:So after a couple of weeks two things are certain: The Jax receivers are huge. Matt Jones is starting to get it.

Now what about Ernest Wilford?
Sportsline.com wrote:Wilford may be a bit undersized but he's a hard worker who creates opportunities for himself to get open and has very good hands. He should see a lot of playing time in '06 and should be worth a middle- to late-round pick as a No. 3 Fantasy receiver -- and that's whether he ends up starting or not.

well, CBS has it wrong since Wilford has bad hands, and is anything but undersized at 6-4 218.
I still think he's the "go-to" guy for Leftwich. While Jones might be a red-zone guy, Wilford will be the guy clocking 80-100 yard games and still manage some TDs. This team might pass a lot more than you think if Fred Taylor goes down.

How do you define "bad hands"??? He caught 55% of the balls thrown his way - that compares favorably with Randy Moss at 48% and Terrell Owens at 51%. If you mean dropped balls, he had 7 which is isn't great, but then Burress had 11, Chad Johnson & Antonio Gates 9 each, Torry Holt & Santana Moss 8 each (granted, most of them had more receptions - point is, even the best drop 'em - Chad Johnson led the entire league in dropped balls in 2004 (14) but it didn't seem to have any carry over effect to his status in 2005 either in the NFL or in fantasy football. I think Wilford will do just fine this season.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:50 am

Im not sure why they are calling Wilford undersized. 6-4 223...

At any rate regardless of who is the #1 Wilford just seems to have an ability to get open and make plays in the endzone. I imagine Leftwich will continue to look to him in those situations. Jones definitely has more upside for dynastys etc... but I believe Wilford will outperform him this season.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby waltb87 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:57 pm

everywhere is showing me that jones is number, is that right?
waltb87
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:04 am

I agree with Alpha, I see this working out as Wilford being the reception guy and Jones being the long-ball/red zone threat. Either way the Jags have some solid young receivers. (not including Williams, who's on the fast train to bustville)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:28 am

I think they're both solid #4 receivers. I wouldn't feel comfortable with either being my #3. All the rankings I've seen have Jones higher than Wilford, so assuming they know something I don't, I'll give the slight edge to Jones.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk