sleepers and busts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

sleepers and busts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moose_ffc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:51 pm

biju wrote:
Juke wrote:Footballdocs.com posted their busts:

http://www.footballdocs.com/2006_fantasy_busts.html

I agree with the players listed. The Edge is going to screw people over this year. I would also add Kevin Jones. He is turning out to be the new Fred Taylor with injuries. Always seems to show up in great shape... and always seems to go back to sideline from an injury. Also, I think Dillon is way undervalued this year. His o-line is back and healthy for a change. ;-D

I just read that article and while I think they make a great case for Edge, I can't really say the same for the others listed.

I can really give or take the Fred Taylor point even though nothing has convinced me that Dominic Rhodes is going to see anything other than a RBBC.

I truly oppose the Koren Robinson pick for a bust. If anything I really think he could be a top 20 WR next year.

Burleson I can give or take. I personally think he's a good #2 for Seattle but I wouldn't rely on him for anything but a #4 WR. At the ADP they suggest he's going at (81) that puts him as a 9th round selection. That means I've picked 4 RBs, 1 QB, and 3 WRs before my 9th round selection (could go TE in the first 8 rounds if the right person fell to me but the class is deep this year and I plan on waiting).

Thus, he's a #4 WR.

On top of that Koren Robinson's ADP of 94 tells me I could get a #1 WR in the 10th round. Maybe their definition of sleeper varies from mine, but with my 10th round picks I tend to grab guys I don't expect to do too much but could have an impact either with my team or in trade value. I guess a 10th round pick is already "bust" material for me and I'm hoping to hit a sleeper.

I am picking 7th in my draft this year and I wouldn't touch James with a 10 foot pole. I am down with the Robinson prediction too. He is a stinkin' drunk. He is a good pick if you get special teams yardage, but I don't have a league like that. Total crap. I have a WHOLE list of guys I would rather hith my boat to. I can't stand that guy. SO much talent and he pissed it all away.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:QB bust= Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady
RB bust= Edgerrin James
WR bust= Steve Smith

and theres a ton of threads around here with sleepers like this one ;-D

I actually agree. By no means is Steve Smith a bust, rather he will end up with way less yards + TDs, since he is the consensus number 1 WR, this makes him a bust due to the fact he will dissapoint many this year.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Sleepers:

QB: Phillip Rivers - He was drafted in the top 4 for a reason, he's had 2 years to learn the offense, and he has LT and Gates.
Honorable mention: Chris Simms
RB: Marion Barber - I expect him to supplant JJ sometime during the season.
RB: Jamal Lewis - Wrote a long article on this. Long story short: he wasnt in prison, doesnt have a knee injury that he couldnt rehab while in prison, the offense is better, the defense is healthy (as pointed out by deluxe), and he is in a contract year.
Honorable mention: Curtis Martin, Ryan Moats
WR: Ernest Wilford - Reggie Williams constantly disappoints, and Wilford was the best option behind Jimmy Smith, who is now retired, in Jacksonville. Wilford will supplant williams and put up good numbers once again.
WR: Joe Horn - Drew Brees coming in has to help his value, and i expect a bounceback campaign from Horn.
WR: Sammie Parker - Kennison has to start deteriorating with age eventually, and Parker will be there to fill the void. Not to mention he is going into his 3rd year. More value in dynasty, but a possible sleeper.
Honorable Mention: Koren Robinson, Drew Bennett
TE: Heath Miller - With Bettis and Randle El gone and no surefire goal line back, heath will get a ton of red zone looks as well as receptions in the open field.
Honorable Mention: LJ Smith
K: David Akers - Very underrated in drafts; injury hurt him last year, but he should return to his old form, maybe even to the #2 kicker again.
Honorable Mention: Josh Brown
DEF: Seattle - Young, getting better each year, and they have an easy schedule.
Honorable Mention: Buffalo

Busts:

QB: Daunte Culpepper - I do think he will help the 'Phins' offense, but he wont return to his old form or be worth starting immediately. He is definitely an improvement over Gus Frerotte though.
Honorable Mention: Eli Manning
RB: Edgerrin James - Arizona line will kill him. Doesnt matter how talented he is. Example: Willis McGahee. He will get the TDs, but not the yards.
RB: Shaun Alexander - Factors going against him, such as Hutch leaving, big contract, burleson rejuvenating the passing game, and Madden Curse have me very low on him.
Honorable Mention: Frank Gore, Willis McGahee
WR: Larry Fitzgerald - One of the arizona receivers has to bust b/c edge will take away touches, and b/c warner likes throwing to boldin, i think Fitz will have an off year.
WR: Andre Johnson - Ive never been a fan. I just dont think that he'll ever produce if he hasnt done it by now, bad o-line or not.
WR: Santana Moss - With the ball spread out more, Moss will disappoint fantasy owners who draft him to be a #1 or #2.
Honorable Mention: Reggie Brown, Deion Branch
TE: Chris Cooley - With Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, and Portis, there wont be enough to go around.
Honorable Mention: Jason Witten
K: Neil Rackers - Edge coming in will kill his value. He will convert the red zone opportunities into touchdowns, so Rackers will be left with PATs.
Honorable Mention: Lawrence Tynes
DEF: Atlanta - Their secondary is rock solid, but im not sold on their front 7, which disappointed last year.
Honorable Mention: New England
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby onnestabe » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:23 am

I like the picks, steelerfan...I think Rivers and Barber are long shots as sleepers because Rivers and Barber are a good #2 QB (not many sleeper QBs) and a RBBC (unless JJ gets hurt), respectively. And those are bold picks of Edge, SA, and Fitz to bust - not saying I disagree with the reasoning, just bold. ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:50 pm

onnestabe wrote:I like the picks, steelerfan...I think Rivers and Barber are long shots as sleepers because Rivers and Barber are a good #2 QB (not many sleeper QBs) and a RBBC (unless JJ gets hurt), respectively. And those are bold picks of Edge, SA, and Fitz to bust - not saying I disagree with the reasoning, just bold. ;-D

i did have a hard time thinking of a sleeper QB, but i just think that rivers was drafted that high for a reason, and he has had 2 years of training. as for barber, i say that JJ gets injured, and Barber doesnt look back, taking the starting job for good.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Billy Volek as a sleeper QB this year. 2 years back, he threw for almost 2500-20 in 10 games. I think that he'll keep Vince Young on the bench at least this year.

Attached to that is my WR sleeper: Drew Bennett. He and Volek have always had very good chemistry. In 04, he hauled in 10 of Volek's TD's. I also like their situation: muddled RB situation and a poor secondary translates to a lot of passing. Both these guys could be had for pretty cheap, as well.

As far as RB go, I can see Dominic Rhodes coming out on top of the position battle in IND. Indy runs a pretty complex offense, and Rhodes has been there long enough to have it understood far better than Addai. Also, he's a proven 1000 yard rusher (2001). If he's done it before, he can do it again. Also, while it seems he's been around for a while, he's only 26.
Inukchuk
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:19 pm

biju wrote:
Juke wrote:Footballdocs.com posted their busts:

http://www.footballdocs.com/2006_fantasy_busts.html

I agree with the players listed. The Edge is going to screw people over this year. I would also add Kevin Jones. He is turning out to be the new Fred Taylor with injuries. Always seems to show up in great shape... and always seems to go back to sideline from an injury. Also, I think Dillon is way undervalued this year. His o-line is back and healthy for a change. ;-D

I just read that article and while I think they make a great case for Edge, I can't really say the same for the others listed.

I can really give or take the Fred Taylor point even though nothing has convinced me that Dominic Rhodes is going to see anything other than a RBBC.

I truly oppose the Koren Robinson pick for a bust. If anything I really think he could be a top 20 WR next year.

Burleson I can give or take. I personally think he's a good #2 for Seattle but I wouldn't rely on him for anything but a #4 WR. At the ADP they suggest he's going at (81) that puts him as a 9th round selection. That means I've picked 4 RBs, 1 QB, and 3 WRs before my 9th round selection (could go TE in the first 8 rounds if the right person fell to me but the class is deep this year and I plan on waiting).

Thus, he's a #4 WR.

On top of that Koren Robinson's ADP of 94 tells me I could get a #1 WR in the 10th round. Maybe their definition of sleeper varies from mine, but with my 10th round picks I tend to grab guys I don't expect to do too much but could have an impact either with my team or in trade value. I guess a 10th round pick is already "bust" material for me and I'm hoping to hit a sleeper.

Sorry, but I remebered having a discussion about Koren Robinson last month. He looks like a pretty good bust pick now. I guess some busts don't have to be waited on very long. "Bartender another JACK!"
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:29 am

The_Dude wrote:Javon Walker - WR Bust
Rod Smith - WR sleeper... flying low under everyone's radar

Agree Completely about Smith. Got him as my WR3 in my first draft and was very pleased.

Harrison as a "Bust" baffles me. So long as Peyton's under center and Marvin's on the field he's gonna post WR1 Numbers.

Good to "see" ya Dude. Where you been?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby DrSpackle » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:38 am

My super-sleeper is TE Tony Sheffler. He's got great hands, good speed and Shanny loves the TE in his offense. Javon and Rod will draw attention, Jake will bootleg a lot and Sheffler's gonna get a ton of looks and touches.

I bet he's on waivers in your league right now. By week 3 he won't be. ;-D
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:21 am

steelerfan513 wrote:WR: Joe Horn - Drew Brees coming in has to help his value, and i expect a bounceback campaign from Horn.

Drew Brees has never made any wide recievers good. I don't think a change from Brooks to Brees will help any recieving target other tha Zach Hilton.

WR: Andre Johnson - Ive never been a fan. I just dont think that he'll ever produce if he hasnt done it by now, bad o-line or not.

He is around the 20th ranked reciever. Houston finally has another passing option in Moulds and defenses will no longer double Johnson.

TE: Chris Cooley - With Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, and Portis, there wont be enough to go around.
Honorable Mention: Jason Witten

Brunell loves dumping it off to Cooley, and every time he is in trouble, he looks for Cooley first.

DEF: Atlanta - Their secondary is rock solid, but im not sold on their front 7, which disappointed last year.

They just acquired Grady Jackson to go along with Kerney and Abraham, that makes it an above average first 7.
[/quote]
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk