Fantasy Football in the current issue of Sports Illustrated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football in the current issue of Sports Illustrated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football in the current issue of Sports Illustrated

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:14 am

While it's nice to see fantasy football as the feature article, I can't recommend that non-subscribers rush out to buy this issue.

• Peter King gives input. I'm not sure Peter King provides any sports expertise whatsoever, let alone fantasy football. He recommends eschewing Tiki Barber or other marquee RBs and drafting Peyton Manning instead in the middle of the first round of your draft.
  • Epic Struggles: I kid you not, they actually recommend that you watch these "key position battles:"
    • Cedrick Wilson vs. Santonio Holmes for the Steelers #2 WR
    • Kyle Brady vs. Marcedes Lewis for Jaguars starting TE
    • J.P Losman vs. Kelly Holcomb for Bills starting QB
    • Patriots and Falcons competition for starting kicker!

Could you care less about any of these? Not a single one of those have fantasy relevance, imo.
  • Impact Rookies: Mike Hass. Who the heck is that?
  • On the Decline: "Brett Favre has a porous offensive line, no running game and no reliable receiver after Donald Driver." Yet, on the page before that, they list Greg Jennings as an Impact Rookie: "The second rounder should see plenty of time on the frozen tundra as one of Brett Favre's favored targets."

Could that be any more contradictory?
  • Tom Brady is the #1 QB over Peyton Manning. Are you kidding me?
  • Chad Johnson the #1 WR? And Steve Smith is 4th behind Larry Fitzgerald and T.O.?!?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:46 am

Though I love the fact that FF has entered thier conciousness, but it shows how little they understand about us when they use whatever writer they have on staff to write about FF. They clearly have no understanding of the depth of knowledge and the passion that so many FFers have. They would be much better served to hire a FF writer who would be able to give credible info on the sport and at least be able to help some of the newer or lesser informed FFers out there.

Using the dinosaurs is a insulting not only to the FFer but the sport of FF itself.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:03 am

Yeah, it's funny when these guys get asked about FF, and their inevitable reply is that "I've never actually played, butI know it's all about stats, not necessarily winning, and I usually write one article a year about it"
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 pm

Again, these fools are getting paid to do a job we could all do ten times better. What a sad age we live in. Perhaps the FFC could release a magazine of its own some day! Hey, I can dream can't I? ;-)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25 pm

well in terms of just fantasy football articles, yes. As far as regular nfl columns, no.

I don't particularly think King or Dr. Z are good writers or very insightful on anything. I think the conlcusions they draw and the logic used to get those conclusions is atrocious.

That said, they are obviosuly skilled at the unseen parts of being a reporter/writer/editor, cultivating contacts, keeping abreast of things around the league (behind the scenese), and all that stuff.

I think part of the problem isn't necessarily the writers, its the ownership. Why hire a fantasy guy to right the article when "we have football guys on staff, have them do it." But I think these guys are too close to the subject, and don't view the game through the appropriate lens. They clearly don't understand that fantasy isn't "all about stats," its really more of an economic game, figuring out player distribution, and firguing out REALTIVE to other positions, which have the most depth, VBD, and all that stuff. But from the regular coverage its "Oh Peyton is poised to have a monster year, better take him."
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Warhawk » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Peter King's bit was one of the worst things I've ever read.

He, like so many last place fantasy teams, makes the mistake in thinking that because Manning scores more points than a RB, that he's worth more. King has absolutely no clue that a value of a player is strictly defined by how his statistics compare with the statistics of other players at his position.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dumbjaw » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Don't forget how they labelled Randy Moss as a high-risk no-draft but in the WR draft order listing he was at 12th or 13th.

It was pretty awful.
Dumbjaw
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mrblitz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:38 pm

It's just typical. They are absolutely clueless. I just laugh

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:37 pm

I find it hysterical that so many sports anchors, experts, writers, don't know sh** about FF.

If you want a good laugh, wait until ESPN does their fantasy draft on TV. I couldn't stop laughing. Suzy Kolber took Favre in the first because of his intangibles.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby fantasizing » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:12 pm

Azrael wrote: Suzy Kolber took Favre in the first because of his intangibles.

LOL...............im still cracking up on that one.........
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk