Round-By-Round Draft Strategy (a little long) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Round-By-Round Draft Strategy (a little long)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby socceryank » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:39 am

Why not give them the link to these forums as well, so that they can learn more in depth from others, especially as the season wears on? They could learn a lot of the suggestions listed above from the site, and take some work off you!

Kudos to you for helping them get bitten by the FF bug!
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:36 pm

I appreciate all the the feedback everyone. ;-D

I understand that the strategy isn't ideal (The next time I pick my third RB in the 8th Round will be the first time) but as I said none of these folks have ever played FF (they've seen how much I enjoy it and wanted to give it a try.) and most of them have very limited knowledge of the NFL outside their respective favorite teams. (I'm the only person in the league who has any clue who Joseph Addai is, and half the owners couldn't tell you who LT2 or SA play for.) I'm just trying to get them through the draft without their season being over before it starts. (I don't want anyone getting discouraged before they can see just how cool FF can be.) I'm also hoping to carry this league over (and maybe even expand from 8 to 10 or 12 Teams) in years to come, and figure as time goes by and they become more knowledgeable they'll develop their own strategies and I can just keep my big mouth shut. :-D

Once again, many thanks for the input. ;-D

BTW, I pulled the blurb about Vinatieri Maddog. Kickers...Sheesh. :-P

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:42 pm

I was just thinking about this, and I think the best thing you could do is have them all do a mock draft together before the actual draft.

Give them this strategy guide and stress that it is only a guide and that there isn't really a right or wrong way to do things. Then do a 10 round mock draft. I would say to stop after 5 rounds and analyze each team one by one, talking about (a) what picks you thought were good and why, and (b) what you would focus on for the rest of the draft and why. Then once you get through 10 rounds, talk about what the late rounds are like (sleepers, handcuffs, kickers, defenses). That way, they can see how you need to adapt to what is happening around you in a draft, and also get a feel for how it all works.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:06 pm

onnestabe wrote:I was just thinking about this, and I think the best thing you could do is have them all do a mock draft together before the actual draft.

Give them this strategy guide and stress that it is only a guide and that there isn't really a right or wrong way to do things. Then do a 10 round mock draft. I would say to stop after 5 rounds and analyze each team one by one, talking about (a) what picks you thought were good and why, and (b) what you would focus on for the rest of the draft and why. Then once you get through 10 rounds, talk about what the late rounds are like (sleepers, handcuffs, kickers, defenses). That way, they can see how you need to adapt to what is happening around you in a draft, and also get a feel for how it all works.

That there is what we at the Institute like to call "A Good Idea." Plus, if we do it say the Saturday before the draft it gives me an excuse to have two draft parties as opposed to one. (And any idea that doubles my drinking opportunities is inherently a good idea.) :-D

I tip my cap to you sir. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:49 pm

Just give them a cheatsheet for their first year, and then let the ass-whooping begin. Maybe they'll learn something from you for the next year. Fantasy football isn't T-ball, there is no hand holding. Let them draft their own team how they feel fit.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby AssaultandPeppers » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Might as well just pick for them. Seriously, you should've told them that kickers were the most important, then you would be insured of kicking their tails.LOL, just win baby!!
AssaultandPeppers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk