Starting running backs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Starting running backs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting running backs...

Postby Los_Niners » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:02 pm

So far, what is the common concensus on the situation in Indianapolis? Who will be starting, Rhodes or Addai?

Also, what is the concensus on the running back quandary in Denver? In Baltimore? in Green Bay? Is there anywhere I can find this information ?

Any help would be appreciated:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=231785
Los_Niners
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 pm

seems like most people believe that Rhodes will start the first few games but Addai will get more playing time as the season wears on. They didnt reach for an RB in the first for no reason.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LouisC9999 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, for any real answers, we're just going to have to wait and see how the 2006 Training Camp Soap Opera plays out.
LouisC9999
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ek » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:54 pm

For up to date info I'd just run a search of the forums...once training camps have started you can view the depth chart on each team's webpage, but these aren't always updated frequently and don't contain any analysis. In brief, as far as I understand -

Indy was covered by greatest show

Denver - as of now Ron Dayne is supposedly the starter (probably in the Mike Anderson role), but Bell is still going to get carries (around 10-15)...there are some people here that think Bell is the superior talent and will eventually get the bulk of the work.

Baltimore - Jamal Lewis is the starter; Mike Anderson is the backup.

Green Bay - Gado has been getting the first team work while Ahman Green is recovering from last year's injury, but consensus is that Green will be the starter if/when he is healthy. However, Gado and Davenport are still going to see action, so the situation is pretty messy.

;-D
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:36 am

We may be implementing a "RB Watch" sticky in this forum for the preseason and carrying it over to the regular season. We're discussing it right now, so be sure to check back regularly! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:57 am

I think Rhodes is gonna be the Thomas Jones of last year and suprise everyone. Hes been great everytime edge was hurt and i think he keeps the starting job all year
dcskater619
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Juke » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:08 am

Exactly, dsckater19.

People get geeked on rookies every year and just assume they are the second coming to domination. While a rookie RB typically emerges, most don't. How did J.J. Arrington do last year?

Rhodes is ready. He knows the system and knows his QB. I get confused just listening to Manning chatter for about 10 minutes prior to every snap... what do you think a rookie RB is going to do? Heck,Rhodes is probably still learning the system... and its been 5 years!

With Edge gone, the Colts had to select a RB in draft. You can never have enough depth and must always be developing players.

To help temper Addai fever, here is the scouting report on him STRAIGHT OFF NFL.COM:

--------------
Despite natural athleticism and size, Addai plays small and has not been able to claim the starter's job all to himself. For a player with such quick feet and agility, he runs very upright, which really limits his power and explosiveness. Doesn't play anywhere close to his timed speed, and despite very good quickness and agility, he is not the type of runner that can make tacklers miss. Does have the vision and instincts when running with the ball to find the hole, but he lacks an explosive burst through the hole to shoot by defenders and make big plays. His hands help him to catch passes well out of the backfield. Agility, balance, quickness, instincts and ability to follow blockers makes him a good runner after the catch in the open field. Overall, despite having the measured size of a starter, Addai is best suited to being a backup or a third-down back and returner (both punt and kickoff). Additionally, his pass-blocking ability will make him a valuable back that will get a lot of playing time in passing situations. Able to adjust after the snap and block different defenders that are rushing the quarterback.
CRITICAL FACTORS
Size Athletic Ability Hands Competes Play Speed Blocking
6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0

STRONG POINTS

Addai is a very quick and agile runner with the feet to make sharp cuts and can bounce inside runs outside when the middle is clogged up. Has very good vision and instincts, and really shows patience following his blockers and cutting sharply off their blocks. Has good hands catching passes out of the backfield and can make sharp cuts in the open field, which makes him a good open-field runner. Has the strength and balance to keep his feet when taking hard hits. Does a good job of pass blocking -- can cut block or block upright, and is effective doing both.

WEAKNESSES

Despite measured size, Addai looks like a third-down back on film and plays smaller than his size. While he can keep feet against hits, he lacks the power and strength to break tackles. An upright runner that takes a lot of hits because of it, and struggles to run with power on inside rushes. Not a shake-and-bake runner that can make tacklers miss. Despite being a good athlete, he lacks the explosive burst and top-end speed you expect from a guy who runs a 4.4 in the 40. [\b]

---------------------

NOTE: He was timed at 4.5 (4.49) in the 40. Still exctied about Addai? :-t
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:38 am

all of those situations are questionable except baltimore. jamal lewis is the starter there.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:33 am

Mercer Boy wrote:We may be implementing a "RB Watch" sticky in this forum for the preseason and carrying it over to the regular season. We're discussing it right now, so be sure to check back regularly! ;-D

we shall not lower ourselves to the baseball side way of things :-t ;-)

but back to the point of the thread..
I think it will be a committee approach for the majority of the season, with Addai maybe seeing more time on 3rd downs as a receiver and pass blocker, which he is supposedly good at.

(Though the one time I really got a good look at Addai in a Senior Bowl practice, he dropped about 5 passes in a row :-? )

Even in college, Addai was the 3rd down back up until his senior year. He never even had a 1,000 yard season. In my opinion, he is a workout warrior with a lot of bust potential. In a re-draft league, I would not rely on him as a number 2 back...a third back at best. Although the Colts did reach for him for a reason, that reason was for long term...in my opinion Addai won't be the full starter until 2007 and beyond.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:06 pm

OK, I just loaded three AAA Batteries in my ACME Crystal Ball, so I will now provide to you the Definitive answers to these questions (Unless, of course, I am Completely Wrong)

Indy - Rhodes will remain the starter as long as long as he's effective, but Addai will steal some carries.

Denver - Much like last year, with Ron Dayne in Mike Anderson's Role

Baltimore - Unless JLew decides to loan his cell phone out again it's his gig.

Green Bay - If Ahman's 100% he'll be the guy. If he's not the ever-popular RBBC.

ACME has spoken. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk