What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DrewBledsoeRox89 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:45 pm

reading Wiseguy...was supposed to read Fast Food Nation and SIn and Syntax for school, but I figured I could wing it. Just finished reading Picture of Dorian Grey
Last edited by DrewBledsoeRox89 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
DrewBledsoeRox89
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:42 pm

DrewBledsoeRox89 wrote:Wiseguy...was supposed to read Fast Food Nation and SIn and Syntax for school, but I figured I could wing it. Just finished reading Picture of Dorian Grey
I started Fast Food Nation, and that book sucked....I hated it! But I failed the quiz on it and that sucked! :-t
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 pm

I haven't started it yet, but on the weekend I went out and bought Beyond Band of Brothers by Major Dick Winters who was the main character in the mini-series Band of Brothers. I finally got around to watching the series on DVD this past month and just had to race out and buy his book - what an incredible story and what an incredible man!!! And he is so self-effacing - on the DVD he is interviewed and he remarks about how one time his grandson asked him if he was a hero - he starts to choke up a bit and then says he told him "No, but I served in a unit with a bunch of heroes" (that's just one example).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby josebach » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:54 pm

I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card yesterday. It's a futuristic Sci-Fi book about a group of genius children that are bred to be great military commanders. They train in zero gravity so as to reproduce what flying spaceships is like. It was REALLY good!!! I'm reading the second book in the series now called "The Speaker for the Dead".
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dadd » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:04 pm

josebach wrote:I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card yesterday. It's a futuristic Sci-Fi book about a group of genius children that are bred to be great military commanders. They train in zero gravity so as to reproduce what flying spaceships is like. It was REALLY good!!! I'm reading the second book in the series now called "The Speaker for the Dead".

Ah, josebach strikes again! I love Enders Game, one of my all-time favorites. The rest of the series is good too, but doesn't compare to the first.

If you like Orson Scott, try reading the Seventh Son Series. I really enjoyed that one.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby wickerkat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:52 pm

josebach wrote:I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card yesterday. It's a futuristic Sci-Fi book about a group of genius children that are bred to be great military commanders. They train in zero gravity so as to reproduce what flying spaceships is like. It was REALLY good!!! I'm reading the second book in the series now called "The Speaker for the Dead".

it is in my stack of TO READ books, about 10 in all - cool

peace,
richard
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five for summer reading. It's weird but I like it. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Dadd wrote:

Ah, josebach strikes again! I love Enders Game, one of my all-time favorites. The rest of the series is good too, but doesn't compare to the first.

If you like Orson Scott, try reading the Seventh Son Series. I really enjoyed that one.

I'll do that, thanks. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Since y'all seem like literary types that would actually check this thread, The Thursday Next series of books by Jasper Fforde is excellent. It starts w/ "The Eyre Affair". Very funny book.

And if you're just looking for something to make you laugh, I'd suggest anything by Christopher Moore like "The Island of the Sequined Love Nun" or "The Stupidest Angel"
Drunken Rhino
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:33 pm

I'm currently reading "The Overachievers"

I find it really interesting, becuase it is about my school, and I know most of the characters in the book.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk