What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:15 pm

reading The Camel Club by David Baldacci (spelling may be wrong).
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flexnsa » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:19 pm

Because They Hate

by Brigitte Gabriel

an insider, in-depth look at Islam and Muslims in America
flexnsa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:59 pm

flexnsa wrote:Because They Hate

by Brigitte Gabriel

an insider, in-depth look at Islam and Muslims in America

I heard about this book somewhere (can't remember). It's now on my list. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby spodog » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:24 am

Wilderness at Dawn - The Settling of the North American Contintent. By Ted Morgan.

Sweeping essay covering pre-history settlements in N and S America by early nomads crossing the landbridge from Asia circa 10,000 BC (ancestor of the American Indians) all the way to the 1700's and into the Revolutionary Period.

;-D
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:46 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I didn't even pick up a book last week. :-°

My wife just got me Darwin's Black Box by Michael J. Behe, so hopefully I'll get a chance to sit down and open it.

I'm hoping you enjoy this book. Mike Behe was one of my chemistry professors at Lehigh - I had him for a Technical Writing course. I read his book when it first came out many years ago and really liked it. He basically explains from a biochemistry standpoint why complex cell structures and organs in the body such as the eye could not have evolved from simpler systems; the odds are just astronomical against it. He offers you the choice in the book to "skip out" on some of the technical explanations if you choose; unless you have a biochemistry degree you will likely not understand much of the technical jargon. But the bottom line is that he leaves it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions about the origin of man, without forcing religion on you. Although the implication is clear that if we did not evolve from lower life forms, then we must surely have been created by a God or supreme being.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby jbones733 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

highly reccomended, book about our pop culture & an idepth view of life in the 21st century
SUPERBOWL , Who so start at Wide out ???? please help

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=382588

jbones733
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wickerkat » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:10 pm

jbones733 wrote:Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

highly reccomended, book about our pop culture & an idepth view of life in the 21st century

i was thinking of getting that book - wanna swap? let me know what you like - i have tons of paperback and hardcover stephen king, amongst others

peace,
richard
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SunnydaleSpike » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:12 pm

Different Seasons-Stephen King
Neil Young haunts my nightmares.
SunnydaleSpike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm

The Lung wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I didn't even pick up a book last week. :-°

My wife just got me Darwin's Black Box by Michael J. Behe, so hopefully I'll get a chance to sit down and open it.

I'm hoping you enjoy this book. Mike Behe was one of my chemistry professors at Lehigh - I had him for a Technical Writing course. I read his book when it first came out many years ago and really liked it. He basically explains from a biochemistry standpoint why complex cell structures and organs in the body such as the eye could not have evolved from simpler systems; the odds are just astronomical against it. He offers you the choice in the book to "skip out" on some of the technical explanations if you choose; unless you have a biochemistry degree you will likely not understand much of the technical jargon. But the bottom line is that he leaves it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions about the origin of man, without forcing religion on you. Although the implication is clear that if we did not evolve from lower life forms, then we must surely have been created by a God or supreme being.

That is the exact stance that I'm intrigued by. This weekend has been crazy for me, but hopefully I can crack it open this week. I have no smarty-pants degree ;-) , but I've done a lot of independant research and a lot of resources that may help me understand a fraction of what he attempts to convey.

Pretty cool to be in the Cafe presence of one of his pupils. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Simulacrum » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:28 am

SunnydaleSpike wrote:Different Seasons-Stephen King

Nice.. that's a very good one. ;-D

You should all read Dune. One of the most intriguing and intelligent novels ever written.
Simulacrum
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Chief Pixel PusherEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk