What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 pm

Loved The Iliad and The Odyssey both!

Right now I am reading "We wish to inform you that tomorrow my family and I will be murded" or something along those lines. Terribly depressing book about the Genocide in Rwanda, I don't think I can ever forgive Clinton and other world leaders for not doing something about it! I am reading it for school and we also watched Hotel Rwanda...Now normally I don't cry in movies, but I was damn near close and maybe a tear did fall but that was one of the worst things I've ever seen..... :-/ :-P !+) :,-(
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 am

knapplc wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Right now I'm reading the Dune series. I've recently decided to go back and re-read all of my novels. Since July I've read about 20 or so novels. It's been a lot of fun. ;-D

Have you read any of the Dune prequels written by Herbert's son and Anderson?

Nope. My interest in the series really fizzled around the God Emperor of Dune times. I suppose I should read Heretics and Chapterhouse, but I haven't and I'm not sure I will unless I hear some really glowing things about them sometime soon. Any chance you could convince me, or did it really lose steam after God Emperor?

To tell the truth, I half-heartedly tried to read Heretics and Chapterhouse, but kinda lost interest in those two. So I haven't really finished Herbert's Dune saga.

But the prequels were great. More plot than philosphy and really fleshed out the different houses, which were the best parts of Dune, reading about all the political infighting between the groups. The other trilogy also explained the Machine War and why technology was so backwards in the Dune series. Pretty different style by the authors to draw in interest from new people to the Dune universe. I'd definitely recommend it to Dune fans.

They've also decided to continue past Chapterhouse too, releasing a new series that kinda picks various storylines from God Emperor on, to continue and flesh out. That is why I've been thinking about going back to re-reading Heretics and Chapterhouse with more effort. On that I still haven't decided, but I'm interested.

The first of the two prequel trilogies is "Prelude to Dune" consisting of House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino. This set is a direct prequel to Dune. "Legends of Dune" consisting of The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corrin are set thousands of years before Dune and explains some history.

Great reads IMO, and no need to finish out the original Dune saga. ;-D
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Just finished the new John Grisham, The Innocent Man. It's Grisham's first foray into non-fiction and I really enjoyed it.

I have read all of his books, is this one as ggod as the others?

Its way different. There is very little dialogue and tons of information. However, the story itself I found fascinating and he keeps it interesting by throwing out numerous sarcastic comments (mainly making fun of the prosecution).
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:43 pm

Just finished "The Ice Limit" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Those guys are kind of hit or miss with me and this one found the mark. It's about the largest meteorite ever found and a rich American's attempt to move it to a museum. Once they uncover it, they find out that it actually originated outside of the solar system... something which has never been found before. It's a good read for sure.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:02 pm

"The Bartimaeus Trilogy" they are three books (obviously), that are about young magician that summons a demon named Bartimaeus, and the problems that surround them, anyway, I really, really like them, almost done with book 2, the first one is called "The Amulet of Samarkand" and the Second one is called "The Golem's Eye", not totally sure what the third one is called, but they are awesome, the first one starts kinda slow, but if you stick with it, it is an awesome book, same with the second one. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:02 pm

Just finished Next by Michael Crichton. It was basically a lot of different fictional stories about people manipulating genetics. It was pretty hard to follow at some points because they were jumping from story to story, but it was exciting at a few points and was pretty good overall.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:33 pm

I finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel a few weeks ago. Excellent read once you get past the ninety-some pages of exposition. It's about a teenage boy who gets shipwrecked in the Pacific Ocean and survives almost a whole year on a life boat with a Bengal tiger.

I'm almost done with Next Man Up by John Feinstein. A behind-the-scenes look at the NFL, told after spending a whole year with full access to the 2004 Baltimore Ravens.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:47 pm

I am reading the Scarlet Letter, hate it so far :-t
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:01 pm

The Cell, by Stephen King. I'm about halfway through right now and its a pretty good book. Not great but good. I'm not a big stephen king fan though.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk