What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby Dolfin99 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 am

Penthouse Forum ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dadd » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm actually reading "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

O:-) go ahead, bring it.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm

bagobonez wrote:Anyone read The Hobbit or Children of Hurin? Both look pretty interesting, but Tolkien's style of writing is a bit strange and difficult to read.

Read the Hobbit. If you liked LOR you will like it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Hate Mail From Cheerleaders - Rick Reilly

Great read so far ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:47 am

Lately I've had to read mostly stuff for school, but the book I can most recently remember really getting into was Night Fall by Nelson Demille. Awesome read, very suspensful, great book.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SniperShot » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Michael Crichton's latest, Next. I'm not too far into it but I've loved pretty much everything he's written before and so far it's great.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby jayday » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I just finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. As the title says, he lives for a year trying his best to follow all the rules in The Bible...the good and the bad...the insightful and the insane...they all receive his attention. I don't want to spoil too much but you can read more of the reviews in that link if you wish. Make no mistake, this book is not a jab at religion. A.J, an agnostic who has a Jewish background, makes an earnest effort to visit a multitude of sources and really give religion a chance. He seeks past what is written on the page and gets to the heart of what the original intent of the passage was; something so many people fail to grasp.

The only disappointment I had was that while he covered the OT greatly (8 months of the book), the NT (4 months) felt rushed due to some outside circumstances (Spoiler: his wife was preggers with twins).

It's an easy read, very entertaining with a healthy dose of humor, and it shouldn't offend anybody.

Has anyone else read it?
Last edited by jayday on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Just finished reading Fantasy Football: The Next Level by David Dorey. The Lung reviewed it during the season, and it's a good book with great strategies that are backed up by solid facts. Plus, if your boss doesn't look kindly on fantasy football in the workplace, there's a chapter you could show him that might change his mind. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:52 am

jayday wrote:I just finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. As the title says, he lives for a year trying his best to follow all the rules in The Bible...the good and the bad...the insightful and the insane...they all receive his attention. I don't want to spoil too much but you can read more of the reviews in that link if you wish. Make no mistake, this book is not a jab at religion. A.J, an agnostic who has a Jewish background, makes an earnest effort to visit a multitude of sources and really give religion a chance. He seeks past what is written on the page and gets to the heart of what the original intent of the passage was; something so many people fail to grasp.

The only disappointment I had was that while he covered the OT greatly (8 months of the book), the NT (4 months) felt rushed due to some outside circumstances (Spoiler: his wife was preggers with twins).

It's an easy read, very entertaining with a healthy dose of humor, and it shouldn't offend anybody.

Has anyone else read it?

I haven't, but it sounds interesting. Did the man convert to Christianity?

Just finished The Hobbit and am now reading George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 am

bagobonez wrote:
jayday wrote:I just finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. As the title says, he lives for a year trying his best to follow all the rules in The Bible...the good and the bad...the insightful and the insane...they all receive his attention. I don't want to spoil too much but you can read more of the reviews in that link if you wish. Make no mistake, this book is not a jab at religion. A.J, an agnostic who has a Jewish background, makes an earnest effort to visit a multitude of sources and really give religion a chance. He seeks past what is written on the page and gets to the heart of what the original intent of the passage was; something so many people fail to grasp.

Has anyone else read it?

I haven't, but it sounds interesting. Did the man convert to Christianity?

Just finished The Hobbit and am now reading George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"

Remember, 2/3 of the Bible is essentially Jewish. It's kind of funny how we forget that, but as I spent the last two years exhaustively studying the Bible, that is really impressed upon you.

I read an article about this guy, and I'm pretty sure he did not convert. If I remember correctly he's an Atheist or an Agnostic, right?

I'm reading Stone of Tears, the second of Terry Goodkind's epic series about Richard Cypher. It's very "readable," and very engaging. It has some plot foibles that I've discussed with JB in PM, but you have to remember that I'm a ridiculously picky critic, so don't go by that assessment. I would recommend these books to anyone who likes fantasy. They're very long but very quick reads.

I literally read 200 pages of Stone of Tears last night alone, in about 2 1/2 hours.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk