What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby jayday » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 pm

No Spoilerz in the book thread, Knapp. :-b

As I said in the post, he is an agnostic with a Jewish background. To paraphrase a line from his book..."Claiming my family is Jewish would be the same as claiming that Olive Garden is an authentic Italian restaurant."

Next on my book list is...Are We Rome? I'll post back after I've read it.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:50 pm

some real humdingers here, books for my bedside... i like funny stuff and short easy fun books on my nightstand. Things I can actually put down and get some sleep:

bought this a couple years ago and am rereading, hilarious:

bought these today...

treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Is that Dangerous Book For Dogs real? I just bought The Dangerous Book For Boys and it's pretty cool. I recommend it for anyone with young kids, especially boys. It has tons of neat info, and basically tells you lots of stuff you should know, like how to make your own bow & arrow, how to build a go-kart (gravity powered), how to build paper airplanes, plus grammar, history, famous quotes, some Shakespeare bits... all kinds of awesome stuff for young kids.

Also, since I'm in here, I'm reading The Count Of Monte Christo for the second time. What an awesome book. I just got done reading The Wind in the Willows, and I highly recommend that as well. Count is one of my top three all-time greatest books, though. Everyone should read it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:03 pm

knapplc wrote:Is that Dangerous Book For Dogs real? I just bought The Dangerous Book For Boys and it's pretty cool. I recommend it for anyone with young kids, especially boys. It has tons of neat info, and basically tells you lots of stuff you should know, like how to make your own bow & arrow, how to build a go-kart (gravity powered), how to build paper airplanes, plus grammar, history, famous quotes, some Shakespeare bits... all kinds of awesome stuff for young kids.

Also, since I'm in here, I'm reading The Count Of Monte Christo for the second time. What an awesome book. I just got done reading The Wind in the Willows, and I highly recommend that as well. Count is one of my top three all-time greatest books, though. Everyone should read it.

Yes, it's real... I have The Dangerous Book for Boys, I saw the dogs one and laughed so I bought it. It's written from 2 dogs point of view. How to get costumes off, how to escape from yards, etc etc ... very funny stuff.

I've read both the books you mentioned as well ;-D

(not to mention, this thread could use a bump... i need a new real book to dive into as well... looking for a few suggestions... kind of...)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:20 pm

The Sun Also Rises for school and The Best American Sports Writing of the Century for when I don't feel like doing school reading (which is most of the time).

Sun Also Rises is okay, kinda hard to follow. The sports writing book is absurdly long, I think around 600 pages, and I'm only partially through the introduction.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 am

The Out of the Ashes series is pretty cool for anyone who likes the end of the world as we know it and rebuilding

Anything by Robert Heilein is awesome from youth si-fi to the adult stuff. If you read hias stuff there is some of the adult sci-fi that needs to be read in some kind of order. they kinda build on each other. I would recomend reading "time Enough for love" first and then regardless of what you read next you will be able to follow the time line.

I forget the author but the enders game trilogy is [pretty good.

Brian Haig (yes is related to General Haig) haqs written so decent military lwayer suspense books. kinda like a written version of JAG if you watched that show.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:43 am

treat24 wrote:some real humdingers here, books for my bedside... i like funny stuff and short easy fun books on my nightstand. Things I can actually put down and get some sleep:

bought this a couple years ago and am rereading, hilarious:

bought these today...

Haha, I've read the alphabet of manliness.

Kind of dumb, even as a teenage guy I found it ridiculously offensive.

Arnt I a prude.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:48 am

houstonherdfan wrote:I forget the author but the enders game trilogy is [pretty good.

Brian Haig (yes is related to General Haig) haqs written so decent military lwayer suspense books. kinda like a written version of JAG if you watched that show.

Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card I believe and from what I've been told the series is much longer than a trilogy...

I read a few of the Haig books last year, and I agree they were pretty cool...

Right now I'm reading a two-trilogy series by Sara Douglass (Australian fantasy writer) which has been published a couple of times under different names (was annoying as **** when trying to track down the whole series at used bookstores earlier) but the latest incarnation seems to have been The Axis Trilogy (first part) and The Wayfarer Redemption (second trilogy). Good stuff, I recommend it to anyone who's into the fantasy genre....
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:13 am

lmcjaho wrote:Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card I believe and from what I've been told the series is much longer than a trilogy...

It gets really... bizarre after Ender's Game. Ender's Game is by far the best of the group, and that's where Card should have left of, IMO.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:29 am

I really enjoyed Ender's Game when I was young... haven't read anything else from him... or after ender's game...

Canucks - you would not like the Tucker Max book either then :-b It gets offensive for me at times but I enjoyed it. It's Jimboozie type humor :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk