What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby Popcynical » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:04 am

Existentialism and Human Emotions by John Paul Sartre

And I'm starting The Prince by Machiavelli.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:10 am

Popcynical wrote:Existentialism and Human Emotions by John Paul Sartre

And I'm starting The Prince by Machiavelli.

I read The Prince. Interesting, but very hard to get through due to his style and language.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm sure many of you have read the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien, I unfortunately have not taken the time to sit down and read them yet. I saw the movies while in High School and felt satisfied enough by them, so that I didn't feel reading the books was necessary. However, over the last few days I watched the extended versions of the films and find myself incredibly captivated by the story once again. I'd like to finally read the story for added detail to this fantastic story.

The reason I'm posting is because I found that there are many different versions of the book to choose from. I'm not sure which version to go with. There is the elegant 50th Anniversary Edition, the version illustrated by Alan Lee and of course there are many cheaper, soft-cover versions.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is the content good enough so that I shouldn't be worried with packaging and should just go with the most price-sensitive option?

Also, I read The Hobbit while in middle school and greatly enjoyed it. So I'm already fairly familiar with Tolkien's writing style (even if The Hobbit was written differently than The Lord of the Rings) and I'm quite sure I'll enjoy the books.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 pm

If you like Sci-Fi I highly suggest Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

He tied together 15 books to make one giant universe/timeline, but the three main Foundation books are far and away the best of the series, and you really don't have to read any of the others since the Foundation trilogy can stand by itself...if you are interested in reading the whole series, I suggest starting out with the three Foundation novels and then going back to the beginning of the whole series (I, Robot), because some of the later books were written later (Foundation was written in the 50's as opposed to other books in the 70's and 80's) and in order to tie the whole timeline together, Asimov revealed many plot twists that come up in the Foundation series.

Foundation (1st book)
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553293354/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-2

Foundation and Empire (2nd book)
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Empire-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553382586/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-3

Second Foundation (3rd book)
http://www.amazon.com/Second-Foundation-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553382594/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-4

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Blaze - Richard Bachman...aka Stephen King

Not a bad read although quite different than most of his books.
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14 pm

The Bear and the Dragon... Clancy sucks when it comes to conversational discourse, but he can write some good action/international intrigue stuff. Wish that more of the movies made from his books were more true to form. But, as Harrison Ford once told Lucas, 'you can write this (crap), but you can't say it.'
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby m16a » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm

In the midst of Born Again by Chuck Colson. Interesting enough. Its for school.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:25 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:If you like Sci-Fi I highly suggest Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

He tied together 15 books to make one giant universe/timeline, but the three main Foundation books are far and away the best of the series, and you really don't have to read any of the others since the Foundation trilogy can stand by itself...if you are interested in reading the whole series, I suggest starting out with the three Foundation novels and then going back to the beginning of the whole series (I, Robot), because some of the later books were written later (Foundation was written in the 50's as opposed to other books in the 70's and 80's) and in order to tie the whole timeline together, Asimov revealed many plot twists that come up in the Foundation series.

Foundation (1st book)
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553293354/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-2

Foundation and Empire (2nd book)
http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Empire-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553382586/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-3

Second Foundation (3rd book)
http://www.amazon.com/Second-Foundation-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553382594/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218770289&sr=8-4

Don't forget his Robot series starting with Caves of Steel. Excellent series.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SunnydaleSpike » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:59 am

The Game- Ken Dryden

and

Eyes of the Dragon- Stephen King
Neil Young haunts my nightmares.
SunnydaleSpike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:01 am

The Steel Wave by Jeff Shaara
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk