What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby Guru13 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:40 pm

The Innocent Man - John Grisham

Just finished "Playing for Pizza" also by John Grisham, it was very good, quite funny and about football. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Just finished "The Innocent Man"...wow. read it...now. Very incredible book, non-fiction. It's a very slow read, took me awhile to finish it. There's just a lot of facts and things to soak up and try to understand, phenomenal book. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:19 pm

FFG - what's it about?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Just finished "The Innocent Man"...wow. read it...now. Very incredible book, non-fiction. It's a very slow read, took me awhile to finish it. There's just a lot of facts and things to soak up and try to understand, phenomenal book. ;-D

Awesome awesome book. Another example on why the death penalty system is severely flawed. They almost put an innocent man to death because of a screwed up judicial system.

Playing for pizza was awesome as well. Have you read Grisham's new one, the Appeal? That is an awesome book as well. A fiction book, but it brings up the real danger of money skewing an election, in this case one for the Supreme Court of Mississippi.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Just finished "Playing for Pizza" also by John Grisham, it was very good, quite funny and about football. ;-D

Have that book sitting on a nightstand waiting for the time to read, good to hear it's worth the time. I might just get started on it tonight.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:51 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Just finished "Playing for Pizza" also by John Grisham, it was very good, quite funny and about football. ;-D

Have that book sitting on a nightstand waiting for the time to read, good to hear it's worth the time. I might just get started on it tonight.

I thought it was a pretty solid book ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:53 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Just finished "The Innocent Man"...wow. read it...now. Very incredible book, non-fiction. It's a very slow read, took me awhile to finish it. There's just a lot of facts and things to soak up and try to understand, phenomenal book. ;-D

Awesome awesome book. Another example on why the death penalty system is severely flawed. They almost put an innocent man to death because of a screwed up judicial system.

Playing for pizza was awesome as well. Have you read Grisham's new one, the Appeal? That is an awesome book as well. A fiction book, but it brings up the real danger of money skewing an election, in this case one for the Supreme Court of Mississippi.

I have not yet read the appeal, I've read a lot of his stuff, just not all of it, somehow or another I've managed to not read the firm yet, which is apparently one of his best. I think I'm about to start on the client, we'll see what happens with that one.

On 'The Innocent Man', I don't know if I can agree that the entire system is flawed, when carried out correctly, it works, and the right people get the right punishment, IMHO. However, in this case, the trial was absolutely horrendous, where was the right to impartial jury? Why on god's green earth was a change of venue denied? Why on god's green earth did his lawyer not even consider the insanity defense?...ugly, ugly trial, pure nonsense. However, I can't agree that the system itself is flawed. I have to imagine that given a change of venue would have drastically affected the verdict. Just my .02.

I also heard somewhere that he'll never write another non-fiction book, because it drained him so much, it took him 18 months I believe just to get the facts in order. 8-o

Playing for Pizza is a fun read, it's not a book that stands out as great or something like that, but it's interesting and has some funny parts. The "Kill Maschi" play (you'll know when you get there) had me rollin'. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:16 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I have not yet read the appeal, I've read a lot of his stuff, just not all of it, somehow or another I've managed to not read the firm yet, which is apparently one of his best. I think I'm about to start on the client, we'll see what happens with that one.

On 'The Innocent Man', I don't know if I can agree that the entire system is flawed, when carried out correctly, it works, and the right people get the right punishment, IMHO. However, in this case, the trial was absolutely horrendous, where was the right to impartial jury? Why on god's green earth was a change of venue denied? Why on god's green earth did his lawyer not even consider the insanity defense?...ugly, ugly trial, pure nonsense. However, I can't agree that the system itself is flawed. I have to imagine that given a change of venue would have drastically affected the verdict. Just my .02.

I also heard somewhere that he'll never write another non-fiction book, because it drained him so much, it took him 18 months I believe just to get the facts in order. 8-o

Playing for Pizza is a fun read, it's not a book that stands out as great or something like that, but it's interesting and has some funny parts. The "Kill Maschi" play (you'll know when you get there) had me rollin'. :-b

Main point is that it does happen. We do kill or almost kill innocent people. Had he not been picked up by the innocence project he would have lost his appeals and been put to death. The system would have killed an innocent person. This is also an example of why you have to let people go through the appeals process, which many argue they should just be killed right after the trial. I took a long time for him go through the process and in the end they got it right.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Actually Dennis Fritz was the one who got picked up by The Innocence Project. ;-) Ron Williamson had state appointed defense. But still, I see your point. ;-D

edit: for those of you that don't know Dennis Fritz was Ron Williamson's supposed accomplice in this murder, that obviously wasn't the case as neither was involved in the murder at all, nonetheless, he was sentenced to Life in Prison without parole. He contacted 'The Innocence Project' and Barry Scheck took his case. ;-D Now read the book. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk