What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Finished The Steel Wave written by Jeff Sharra. It is the second book in his series about WWII. It was about the Normandy invasion. Solid book

Great book! one of, if not the bloodiest battle in history!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:46 am

Tyeattolah wrote:If anyone is looking for a good nights sleep...try the "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge," zzzz. :-D

written in jest though as its required reading and a danged fine preparatory to the Project Management Certification! ;-D

i kind of do project management (it's engineering project management) but basically my job consists of making sure other people do their job
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Finished The Steel Wave written by Jeff Sharra. It is the second book in his series about WWII. It was about the Normandy invasion.
Solid book

hmm i just finished the millennium falcon book and i'm looking for something to read something till the end of december is it a fiction or non fiction book? i love WW stuff.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:22 pm

The Falcon and The Snowman.

Interesting to read a cold-war, pre-technology revolution spy story 30 years after it was printed. I haven't seen the 1985 film adaptation. Perhaps I'll Netflix it if I like the book.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dolfin99 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:20 pm

I am almost done with Quiet Strength (Tony Dungy). This has been a very enjoyable read. If you have not read it already, give it a go. ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:37 pm

I just finished the novel, 1984. I really didn't enjoy reading it, but I'm not much of a reader.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:56 pm

jayday wrote:I just finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. As the title says, he lives for a year trying his best to follow all the rules in The Bible...the good and the bad...the insightful and the insane...they all receive his attention. I don't want to spoil too much but you can read more of the reviews in that link if you wish. Make no mistake, this book is not a jab at religion. A.J, an agnostic who has a Jewish background, makes an earnest effort to visit a multitude of sources and really give religion a chance. He seeks past what is written on the page and gets to the heart of what the original intent of the passage was; something so many people fail to grasp.

The only disappointment I had was that while he covered the OT greatly (8 months of the book), the NT (4 months) felt rushed due to some outside circumstances (Spoiler: his wife was preggers with twins).

It's an easy read, very entertaining with a healthy dose of humor, and it shouldn't offend anybody.

Has anyone else read it?

I haven't read it, but it's on my Christmas list.

I read his book The Know-It-All, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's about his quest to read the Encyclopedia Brittanica from A to Z over the course of a year. It's a hilarious journey into this endeavor that follows a narrative pattern. He tries to provide his insights and opinions into the topic that he is currently reading and it oftentimes is hilarious and goes off into a wild tangent about something completely different, oftentimes showing his extreme OCD personality.
Phatferd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:49 pm

logan wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Finished The Steel Wave written by Jeff Sharra. It is the second book in his series about WWII. It was about the Normandy invasion.
Solid book

hmm i just finished the millennium falcon book and i'm looking for something to read something till the end of december is it a fiction or non fiction book? i love WW stuff.

wow, sorry for not answering this til now. It is a bit of both. The events are real and he does a lot of research to find out what really happened. It is the war/battles in the eyes of some key generals, but also sergeants and lieutenants. Each chapter is written through one of there eyes and it follows about 5 or 6 throughout the book from each side of the war. In this one you had Eisenhower, Patton, a sergeant named Adams, another sergeant, and Rommel. He does it as a story so there is dialog, which is most likely fiction, but it is based on fact.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 am

In the middle of Vince Flynn's new book, Extreme Measures. I'm really liking it so far. A lot like his other books, but with some interesting twists.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 am

I haven't been around much but wow, 32 pages. You guys read books?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk