What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby josebach » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 am

I normally read about 15-20 books a year or so for fun, but in the last 6 months I've read nothing but pregnancy books. I'm currently reading "Pregnancy Sucks... for Men". It's heavy on humor and low on info. I've read several other books/magazines/pamphlets that were much more informative.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am

Hey, JB! How's the wife & bun doing?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:30 am

Stephen King's "Just after Sunset"...so far so good! ;-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Phatferd wrote:
jayday wrote:I just finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. As the title says, he lives for a year trying his best to follow all the rules in The Bible...the good and the bad...the insightful and the insane...they all receive his attention. I don't want to spoil too much but you can read more of the reviews in that link if you wish. Make no mistake, this book is not a jab at religion. A.J, an agnostic who has a Jewish background, makes an earnest effort to visit a multitude of sources and really give religion a chance. He seeks past what is written on the page and gets to the heart of what the original intent of the passage was; something so many people fail to grasp.

The only disappointment I had was that while he covered the OT greatly (8 months of the book), the NT (4 months) felt rushed due to some outside circumstances (Spoiler: his wife was preggers with twins).

It's an easy read, very entertaining with a healthy dose of humor, and it shouldn't offend anybody.

Has anyone else read it?

I haven't read it, but it's on my Christmas list.

I read his book The Know-It-All, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's about his quest to read the Encyclopedia Brittanica from A to Z over the course of a year. It's a hilarious journey into this endeavor that follows a narrative pattern. He tries to provide his insights and opinions into the topic that he is currently reading and it oftentimes is hilarious and goes off into a wild tangent about something completely different, oftentimes showing his extreme OCD personality.

I'd like to read this some time as well. The Know-It-All was good.

Right now I'm reading Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. If you hate Klosterman's stuff then obviously you won't like this, but so far it's a pretty entertaining read, especially if you have any experience with rural small town America in the upper great plains.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 am

I've begun some great undertaking known as War and Peace.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 am

I'm reading Angels and Demons for a second time, so I can be ready for the movie to ruin it for me this Spring ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm

just finished up the awesome, but rather depressing classic, Of Mice and Men By John Steinbeck. Great book. Poor Lennie.. :-/
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 am

portisfan24 wrote:In the middle of Vince Flynn's new book, Extreme Measures. I'm really liking it so far. A lot like his other books, but with some interesting twists.

I love Vince Flynn. Pops introduced me to him as an author. Love every one so far.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am

Reading Monday Night Jihad by Jason Elam and Steve Tohn.

Good book so far 48 out of 50 yards on the Field Goal Scale. Can't wait for the second half. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby hastur » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Speak and Grow Rich by Dottie Walters. I'm about 3 months away from holding my first seminar/workshop, and this book is a great one.

Review on Amazon:

Dottie Walters and her daughter Lilly are the gurus of the public speaking business and they have created a wonderful book; and I dare say it is the best book on how to promote yourself as a public speaker. Public Speaking is a profession of tremendous integrity, so who better to write about it than Dottie. Dottie is one of my success mentors and this book has played a huge role in helping me to be a successful speaker and consultant. Because of her I am a better PROMOTER of myself.

Dottie Walters has been a proactive promoter of the Speakers Bureau Business and was the founder of Association of Speaker Bureau Owners. Dottie covers every aspect of the speaking business as a proactive thinker, using smart thinking, system thinking, futuristic thinking, and positive thinking. Dottie is the hallmark of a proactive thinker because she is highly motivated, achieve her dreams, recognizes opportunities, overcomes failures, has exceptional values, and promots good change. If you are truly seeking the kind of success and abundance that makes your life 100% livable - you must get this book. Some of the ideas she promotes are found in SUCCESS BOUND, another book built on learning how to live a proactive life by eliminating the fear of failure.

I recommend that you get Speak and Grow Rich, even if Public Speaking is just a spark of an idea in your mind. It will begin to give you the ability to see that with the right topic and the enthusiasm that comes with a definite major purpose, that you can be a confident public speaker too.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk