What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What book are you reading right now??

Postby logan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:40 pm

i'm reading the Dresden Files series and i'm presently almost finished with the second book (of 11 books so far. the author wants to run it up into the lower 20's altogether) Fool Moon and i have to say so far these books are pretty awesome. if magic,vampires,werewolves,wizards ect with the back drop of detective stories set in present day chicago sounds appealing i'd suggest you take a look as you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by logan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fear and Loathing in Atlanta » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 pm

I just finished reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, the same guy who wrote Fight Club. One of the most disturbing/graphic books I have ever read. It tells the stories of a group of people who are voluntarily secluded in a house to write their life's masterpiece a la Mary Shelley and Frankenstein. Eventually they want to escape but aren't allowed, so they try to one up each other to become the biggest victim of their "kidnapping." Let's just say the part about someone choking to the death on the dismembered penis of one of his housemates isn't the most messed up part of the book. Would definitely recommend it though if you have the stomach.
Fear and Loathing in Atlanta
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 am

I'm starting the Twilight Series.

Haha just kidding. I am re-reading one of the best books I have ever read, The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The Texas Penal Code. :-b

And I bet it's riveting. :-B

Actually parts of it can be! For example... it's illegal in Texas to buy a dildo for the purpose of pleasing yourself. If you notice in stores (or wherever it is that people buy these things) it will say "For novelty use only" on it, and that's their way of getting around the law. Also, for those women who throw those "lingerie parties" where they sell dildos and what not, they are only allowed to sell so many per party. There are some strange laws out there.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm

bagobonez wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The Texas Penal Code. :-b

And I bet it's riveting. :-B

Actually parts of it can be! For example... it's illegal in Texas to buy a dildo for the purpose of pleasing yourself. If you notice in stores (or wherever it is that people buy these things) it will say "For novelty use only" on it, and that's their way of getting around the law. Also, for those women who throw those "lingerie parties" where they sell dildos and what not, they are only allowed to sell so many per party. There are some strange laws out there.

I can just see a bunch of legislators sitting around getting hammered together going "dude, dude, how about this one..."

Starting the prayer of Jabez soon, probably just a one sitting hour read.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 pm

In English right now, we're reading Hamlet :-°
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Azrael wrote:Starting the prayer of Jabez soon, probably just a one sitting hour read.

Pretty good. You'll enjoy it Az.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 am

Azrael wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:And I bet it's riveting. :-B

I can just see a bunch of legislators sitting around getting hammered together going "dude, dude, how about this one..."

Starting the prayer of Jabez soon, probably just a one sitting hour read.

:-b I was thinking that about Afghanistan's "rape law", I realize it's a culture thing, but when they were sitting around in their parliament or whatever the case may be some guy's like "right, well - just a thought here, how about we make a law, now bear with me here guys. A law where our wives are legally bound to have sex with us every couple of days. Huh? huh? whatta ya think?" :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Read another Crichton book yesterday, Prey. Can't say I thought it was his best work, but I did finish the 360 or so pages of it (returned Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger after about 80 pages). Deals with nanotechnology and distributed processing run amok. First hundred pages are pretty slow, and around page 150 I'd sorta figured out what was happening. But, still finished it.

Reading a collection of shorts called Combat now. 10 stories by the likes of Larry Bond, Stephen Coonts, Dale Brown, etc. Each story deals with different aspects of the 'modern' military fronts/scenarios.

I got a library card from the county library, haven't had a library card since i was in Jr. High. I figure it's better to borrow them for free than to buy them, read them, and let them sit to collect dust for years afterwards. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Working on Throwaway Dads by Ross Parke and Armin Brott. I encourage any dad to pick up this book if you're not that type that is content to simply "help" with the raising of your children.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk