What book are you reading right now?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What book are you reading right now??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bravos of Steel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:36 am

I'm actually starting to read 1984 by George Orwell, I have to be reading it for English this year, and just started. 10 days to finish it :-/

I just can't seem to get into it, it seems like an interesting plot and idea, it's just REALLY slow to start off.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I'm reading Dune, so far I don't see what all the hype was about.

Hope you persevered and made it through. Dune's one of my all-time favorite books, with a story you'll never forget. ;-D ;-D

But right now I'm reading Foundation Actionscript for Flash mx 2004. Because I'm a computer nerd. :-b
Simulacrum
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Chief Pixel PusherEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm

Bravos of Steel wrote:I'm actually starting to read 1984 by George Orwell, I have to be reading it for English this year, and just started. 10 days to finish it :-/

I just can't seem to get into it, it seems like an interesting plot and idea, it's just REALLY slow to start off.

1984 was one of my favorite reads when I was in school. ;-D

Right now I'm reading a Eurosport catalog. O:-)
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:41 pm

Metroid wrote:
The_Captain wrote:I just finished "Fear Nothing" by Dean Koontz.

What an incredible book! I've enjoyed reading Koontz's matieral for the past 12 years but haven't enjoyed a book by him this much since Intensity.

For those who like the supernatural thrillers with a solid plot and funny characters this book is worth the read. I finished it in a couple of weeks (I'm a slow reader) and I'm getting ready to start Seize the Night which is the second book to "Fear Nothing". This is the first time (that I can remember) Koontz using the same characters for two books.

I'm a Koontz fan as well, have you read "Odd Thomas?" I absolutly loved that book. Odd Thomas sees the dead and helps some of them move on, I know what your thinking sounds like "The Sixth Sense." But its way different that that story. Fell in love with the main characters, I think I may have even teared up a little at the end. The plot twist to close the book is totaly unexpected. Koontz also wrote a sequal to this book using the same characters called "Forever Odd." I've read it as well but was a little dissapointed. It was still a good read but it doesnt hold a candle to the first.

Also I just finnished "Cell" by Stephen King, great book. I love world destruction or apocalyptic stories. Great read.

I'm currently reading "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski. as soon as I finish that I'm going to attempt to tackle the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. My girlfriend just finished the last book and said it was the best series shed ever read. Many of my friends have read it as well and say its awsome.

it's awesome ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dadd » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Metroid wrote:

What an incredible book! I've enjoyed reading Koontz's matieral for the past 12 years but haven't enjoyed a book by him this much since Intensity.

For those who like the supernatural thrillers with a solid plot and funny characters this book is worth the read. I finished it in a couple of weeks (I'm a slow reader) and I'm getting ready to start Seize the Night which is the second book to "Fear Nothing". This is the first time (that I can remember) Koontz using the same characters for two books.

I'm a Koontz fan as well, have you read "Odd Thomas?" I absolutly loved that book. Odd Thomas sees the dead and helps some of them move on, I know what your thinking sounds like "The Sixth Sense." But its way different that that story. Fell in love with the main characters, I think I may have even teared up a little at the end. The plot twist to close the book is totaly unexpected. Koontz also wrote a sequal to this book using the same characters called "Forever Odd." I've read it as well but was a little dissapointed. It was still a good read but it doesnt hold a candle to the first.

Also I just finnished "Cell" by Stephen King, great book. I love world destruction or apocalyptic stories. Great read.

I'm currently reading "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski. as soon as I finish that I'm going to attempt to tackle the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. My girlfriend just finished the last book and said it was the best series shed ever read. Many of my friends have read it as well and say its awsome.

I've never read Koontz before, but I saw "Odd Thomas" and grabbed it from the recommendation here.

Totally awesome book. Thats one I'll read over and over. Great read, cool ending.

I went to the bookstore to look for the sequel and it listed "Forever Odd" and "Brother Odd" as not being released until this fall.

Nevermind, it was the paperback thats available this fall.

I'll probably read the Koontz book Cap recommended next.
Any other Koontz that are really good?

I was looking at "Velocity", any comments on that one?
Last edited by Dadd on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 pm

reading "The Perfect Storm" for summer reading; hoping i can finish it by Monday
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dadd » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:11 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:reading "The Perfect Storm" for summer reading; hoping i can finish it by Monday

You're cutting it close, log off and go read! :-b
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:17 pm

Dadd wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I've never read Koontz before, but I saw "Odd Thomas" and grabbed it from the recommendation here.

Totally awesome book. Thats one I'll read over and over. Great read, cool ending.

I went to the bookstore to look for the sequel and it listed "Forever Odd" and "Brother Odd" as not being released until this fall.

Nevermind, it was the paperback thats available this fall.

I'll probably read the Koontz book Cap recommended next.
Any other Koontz that are really good?

I was looking at "Velocity", any comments on that one?

I read Velocity too and liked it pretty well. Forever Odd is already out, I havent heard of Brother Odd.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:20 pm

I just finished the Magic Casement series by David J. Duncan. His twist on the "magic" story is that all magic comes from knowing Words of Power. It's an interesting saga of a kid who knows a Word but doesn't know he knows it, and what he goes through to try to get more Words to help the woman he loves, the Princess of his realm. It's a pretty good fantasy series.

Next up is The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield. That'll be for the plane ride.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dadd » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Metroid wrote:I read Velocity too and liked it pretty well. Forever Odd is already out, I havent heard of Brother Odd.

I figured it out. Forever Odd will be out in paperback in October. Brother Odd is the 3rd book in the Odd Thomas series and it supposed to release this November.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk