Fantasy Football Column 7/23 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football Column 7/23

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football Column 7/23

Postby Warpigs » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:12 am

My new "The Daily Item" fantasy football column is officially online and I'd love your feedback. I analyze the top three RB and rank them accordingly -- and it's not the order you may be thinking.

If you disagree, I'd love to debate you right here, right now...

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /607230308

;-D

WP
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:28 am

Nice article WP. ;-D

I hope you're right about SA, because from what I've been able to pry from the 2 Guys Drafting in front of me that's who I'll be taking third. (woulda preferred LT2, but c'est la vie)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby onnestabe » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:16 am

Nice article warpigs, I think every point you made was right on ;-D

I think SA is definitely the safer pick, but I would probably take LJ and hope he can overcome all the issues you named, but I like that you called him '1b'. My sentiments, exactly.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:20 am

It's funny how the "safer pick" often ends up being the guy crashing and burning.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:28 am

im afraid a little bit of SA this year, I think he will have a good year, but not as good as many think...and man I wish I had your job, that would be awesome, your next article should be about how to draft a good rb for your flex spot later in the draft, Im struggling with that right now...a RB in the 5th round...uggh.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dexter II » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:30 am

Nice article.

Couple of other thoughts:

1. I think the departure (to the Vikings) of fullback Tony Richardson may also negatively impact Larry Johnson to a certain extent.

2. Another consideration for Shaun Alexander is that defenses may adjust their approach to playing Seattle this year after seeing just how dominating he was in 2005. I could see more loaded fronts in an attempt to force Hasselbeck to beat them, similar to how defenses changed how they played the Colts after Manning's record breaking year in 2004. Whether they can succeed or not is another question.

Again, nice article.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby socceryank » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:39 am

Very well written article. I would have to agree with all of your thoughts; especially the "concerns" with LJ. Keep in mind, though, that I was a big Jamaal fan heading into last season!
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MickDaddy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:48 am

I can't argue with a single point. Well done.

MickDaddy
Starters - 12 Team Leauge

Delhomme

L. Johnson
W. Parker

R. Moss
S. Smith
D. Driver

R. Longwell

IDPs
MickDaddy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MrTwo94 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:37 pm

onnestabe wrote:Nice article warpigs, I think every point you made was right on ;-D

I think SA is definitely the safer pick, but I would probably take LJ and hope he can overcome all the issues you named, but I like that you called him '1b'. My sentiments, exactly.

If you just said you'd take LJ #1 then why would you call him '1b'? Wouldn't your sentiments be that Alexander is '1b'?

Anyway, the article seemed like a decent summary off all the points made in arguments about the #1 pick. As mentioned, you missed the point about Richardson. Another point people like to bring up is that Saunders is no longer KC's OC. If KC's defense didn't prevent them from running the ball a ton last year, why would it this year? LJ carried the ball 339 times last year. The bulk of that coming in just 9 games. I'm not worried about his ability to play 16 games as the starting RB. The point about D. Jackson getting older is worthless since he was out almost all of last season with a knee injury. And they brought in Burleson. Now that Jackson is back, they can rely less on Alexander. The fact that Alexander had the most touches of his career and played an extra 3 games might be worth mentioning. Some people might even note that Alexander finally got the big contract he was looking for. The portion on Tomlinson seemed almost like an afterthought.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:03 pm

BGbootha wrote:1. Shaun Alexander - Call me a homer if you want but hear me out. The other two guys have some serious questions that have to be considered when looking at these top three guys. Sure Shaun lost one of the best guards in the game, in Steve Hutchinson but we have to realize he is still running behind one of the best lines in the game and one of the best Fullbacks in the game. Sure the offensive passing game is going to be stronger this year with a healthy wide receiver choir and the addition of Nate Burleson, but that means defenses won't be able to put 8 in the box against the hawks and Shaun should have plenty of room to run those late draws that Holmgreen loves so much.

2. Larry Johnson - A new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and an offensive line quickly turning to the wrong side of 30 years old. LJ has never shown he could handle a full load for 16 solid weeks and it looks like he isn't going ot have the privelidge of getting spelled by one of the best backs ever in Priest Holmes. Of course the numbers that LJ put up during the last half of last year could easily place him on top of this list. IF his aging offensive line can stay healthy, IF his new coaching staff keeps and runs the system that was already in place, and IF LJ can carry a full load, then yeah, he could easily be the number one back, but thats a lot of ifs.

3. LT - Probably the most talented of the group and if your league gives points per receptions than you can through this whole thing out the window. Last year LT, ran, caught and threw a TD in the same game. He is the centerpiece of this offense, and that is the problem. With Phillip Rivers taking over at QB, every defense in thier right mind is going to stack the box full of 7,8 or 9 defenders hoping to stop mr LT from beating them. And until Rivers shows he can handle the pressure and make defenses pay for this, LT is going to be running against a wall every time he touches the ball. Of course like I said earlier, if your league gives a PPR bonus then LT should be your number one pick hands down.

Let me know what you guys think, and lets get some debate on man, so far these debates haven't lived up to thier 'great' name.

great debates forum, on saturday the 15th......ummm i agreee.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Next

Return to Football Talk