2006 Fantasy Football Magazines Rated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2006 Fantasy Football Magazines Rated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2006 Fantasy Football Magazines Rated

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 am

Pro Football Weekly/CBS Sportsline.com (***): Superior player profiles and team previews. It would be nice if they listed players by ranking instead of alphabetical order.

I kind of like this rag for the reasons stated, but I disagree with the ranking statement. I prefer my leaguemates to actually research for themselves, not just base it on a hacks opinion, so not ranking them makes the guys do this.

Sporting News (***): Nothing touches TSN's fantasy baseball magazine. While the football effort doesn't match up, it's better than most.

Just bought this this morning to have something to read on the bus, but haven't even opened it yet.

Fantasy Football Index (***): This was the standard for years. Sadly, the 20th anniversary package is the most entertaining part this year. It'll be tough for readers to forget its high praise of Tatum Bell last season.

This was far and away the best mag out of the bunch once upon a time. The only one I used to buy. But they are right, it has gone by the wayside in recent years, and god, they did tout the hell out of Bell.

ESPN.com (***): The team profiles are weak in most mags, but not in ESPN. If you have a short attention span, you'll love all the quick-read boxes.

Got this one, team profiles are good as suggested, but it was alot of junk in between, and not very interesting.

Fantasy League Football (*): Too much wasted space on career statistics in the player profiles. If I'm spending $8.95 on a magazine, I demand full-color pages.

I don't think you can waste too much space on individual stats, they mean something as well as situations, but I am giving this guy a big HELL YEAH! If these cheap u-know-what's can't even put full color pics in for that price per rag, then they don't deserve my hard earned and easily spent cash.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:39 am

Weak sauce.

The only two magazines I bought were from FantasyFootball.com and Footballguys.com, and both aren't included on this list. If ESPN.com rated three stars (which I glanced through at the newstand and thought it sucked) then both these magazines surely rate four stars.

It would be nice to see this thread as a sticky since we're seeing so many magazine threads this time of year. We could then direct future magazine threads to this one.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:46 pm

BUMP

I like the sticky idea, Lung. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:55 am

Sixxgunn wrote:• Sporting News (***): Nothing touches TSN's fantasy baseball magazine. While the football effort doesn't match up, it's better than most.

Just bought this this morning to have something to read on the bus, but haven't even opened it yet.

Just thought I would update this. I finally got to glance through this one and I like it so far. I would say that this is a good one for beginners, and intermediate players would probably learn something as well as they discuss auction, keeper and salary type leagues also. Seasoned vets won't get much info out of it, but it is still worth reading to fill the time.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bklik » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 am

I know that the ESPN mag is very popular in my $ leauge, so I think I may borrow the cheat sheet included in it to get a good feel for the value of most players.

They dont know about the Cafe, so shhhhh!
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Irish_Assassin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Fantasy Football Index (***): This was the standard for years. Sadly, the 20th anniversary package is the most entertaining part this year. It'll be tough for readers to forget its high praise of Tatum Bell last season.

This has been my only fantasy magazine purchase for the last few years. I agree that they bombed on Tatum Bell last year. The magazine still has very useful information such as the expert's mock drafts and stats galore. Their magazine also offers an updated ranking and starters download free with the magazine purchase that is very handy for novice users who do not update their own rankings based on pre-season activity.
Irish_Assassin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Irish_Assassin wrote:

This has been my only fantasy magazine purchase for the last few years. I agree that they bombed on Tatum Bell last year. The magazine still has very useful information such as the expert's mock drafts and stats galore. Their magazine also offers an updated ranking and starters download free with the magazine purchase that is very handy for novice users who do not update their own rankings based on pre-season activity.

You're right...I forgot about the free gift offer online. Nice call!
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby calc27 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:57 pm

I have gotten a couple this year to see which ones I liked so that I can only get 1 or 2 at most next year.

The Footballguys is the best I have read, not only because I agree with most of their rankings over other mags, but also they even go in depth into draft strategies that I have not really seen from other mags. This one should be a staple if you're going to buy any mag at all.

The CBSSportsline is OK, but doesn't need to be bought again if I can find a better alternative.

I got Rotowire and I am pleased with it, but since its online, I expected there to be updates more on a regular basis and haven't seen any since I got it 2 weeks ago.

And ESPN does not need to be purchased again. It's all flash and little substance. The mock draft is especially a joke.

I am going to try the Fanball draft preview, and if its any good, it'll be that and footballguys for next year.
calc27
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:08 pm

bklik wrote:I know that the ESPN mag is very popular in my $ leauge, so I think I may borrow the cheat sheet included in it to get a good feel for the value of most players.

They dont know about the Cafe, so shhhhh!

I am pretty sure most of my league doesn't hit the cafe either. Thank goodness. Spending time here in the forums makes my fantasy knowledge grow. Hmmmmmm.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk