this years Steve Smith? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

this years Steve Smith?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bklik » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:46 am

UTLonghorns wrote:I see a big season from him, but remember, Brees often threw to his tight end. So its pretty much up in the air with him.

I see another exciting year from S.Smith.

I think Larry Fitzgerald with make big strides and you could see McNair and Mason hook up a few times.

Bingo. ;-D

And if Roy Williams can stay healthy, he should have a great year in that offense. Maybe we should talk about handcuffing detroit recievers, seeing as none of them can stay healthy/drug-free.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bklik » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:54 am

vickfan07 wrote:i think these threads are unintelligent u should of said biggest wr breakout because what LJ and smith did last year wont be duplicated in a while.

Unintelligent? Let me give you a hand...

I think that these threads are unintelligent. You should have said biggest wr breakout because what LJ and Smith did last year wont be duplicated for a while.

;-D
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 am

vickfan07 wrote:i think these threads are unintelligent u should of said biggest wr breakout because what LJ and smith did last year wont be duplicated in a while.

How was Smith a breakout last year?

Starting only 11 games in 2003, he had 88 catches for 1110 yards and 7TDs. The only reason he wasn't drafted really high last year was because he was coming off a bad injury in '04.

Everyone knew he had the talent.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:07 am

Mason is another good one. I don't expect him to put up amazing numbers, but reuniting him with McNair can only help. I expect him to be a great #2 WR option this year.
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:

How was Smith a breakout last year?

Starting only 11 games in 2003, he had 88 catches for 1110 yards and 7TDs. The only reason he wasn't drafted really high last year was because he was coming off a bad injury in '04.

Everyone knew he had the talent.

Exactly. Which is why TO is this year's Steve Smith. His attitude is a bad injury that will be healed for this season allowing TO to put up amazing numbers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby jayday » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:22 am

Donte Stallworth....I think he takes over the #1 receiver role from Joe Horn for good this year even if Joe is healthy all year....Donte has improved his receptions, yards, and TDs each of the last 3 years and now he has Drew Brees and the offensive-minded Sean Payton in town....

Don't expect Steve Smith numbers, but I could see him cracking the top 12 receivers area....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby FanFootHeadBusta » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:47 am

Brutally Huge said that everyone knew he had the talent back in 2003... Not everyone did, going into 2004 Smith was on the verge of not even being resigned by the Panthers because they doubted his talent. I remember reading a whole article on it in the offseason of that year...
With regards to who'll be this year's S. Smith: S.Smith came back from an injury and dominated the league, no one will do that this year. But...Michael Clayton, Roy Williams, and J. Walker seem to be the best candidates.
FanFootHeadBusta
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:32 am

You need some amazing talent to pull down the kind of numbers Smith did last year. Many people knew Smith was good, but they didn't figure on him being a worldbeater. Hell, if we all knew he would have been a steal in the 3rd round, let alone the 5th round where he usually went.

If you wanna find someone with that kind of potential in the same spot as Smith went last year, I think you have to look at ultra-talented players who haven't produced at a stud level thus far. Andre Johnson and Roy Williams are the best candidates. Of the two, I would go with Roy simply because he has been injured the past couple of years and his situation appears to be the most changed for the better coming into the season.

Lots of risk with Roy though.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby CC » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:11 pm

FanFootHeadBusta wrote:Brutally Huge said that everyone knew he had the talent back in 2003... Not everyone did, going into 2004 Smith was on the verge of not even being resigned by the Panthers because they doubted his talent. I remember reading a whole article on it in the offseason of that year...
With regards to who'll be this year's S. Smith: S.Smith came back from an injury and dominated the league, no one will do that this year. But...Michael Clayton, Roy Williams, and J. Walker seem to be the best candidates.

That was more in regards to Steve Smith having an attitude problem , which was brought to the forefront when he punched a teammate.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scb175 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm gonna say Derrick Mason... he's got his man throwing him the ball again, plus a decent running game. Mason has the speed and quickness to act as a Steve Smith replica, and has the team around him to let it happen. I'm expecting big things from him this season...
scb175
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk