this years Steve Smith? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

this years Steve Smith?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:17 pm

scb175 wrote:I'm gonna say Derrick Mason... he's got his man throwing him the ball again, plus a decent running game. Mason has the speed and quickness to act as a Steve Smith replica, and has the team around him to let it happen. I'm expecting big things from him this season...

Derrick Mason was never in Steve Smith's class even when McNair was throwing the ball to him in Tennessee. I think if you're expecting Smith-like numbers out of Mason, you're about to be sorely disappointed. Mason's never even caught double digit touchdowns in a single season.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kage812004 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:20 pm

vickfan07 wrote:i think these threads are unintelligent u should of said biggest wr breakout because what LJ and smith did last year wont be duplicated in a while.

well, maybe i could have worded it differently but i think most people understand what i was looking for but thanks for that great comment buddy. im really looking for a couple good wr to possibly get in the later rounds that could be big this year incase i go rb with my 1st 2 picks. i do like Roy Williams alot this year and he is allready on 1 of my 2 teams this year.
GOPATS!! 3 out of 4!!!!
kage812004
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Herm » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:02 pm

I think Santana Moss....he has amazing speed like steve smith
Herm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mikus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 pm

jayday wrote:Donte Stallworth....I think he takes over the #1 receiver role from Joe Horn for good this year even if Joe is healthy all year....Donte has improved his receptions, yards, and TDs each of the last 3 years and now he has Drew Brees and the offensive-minded Sean Payton in town....

Don't expect Steve Smith numbers, but I could see him cracking the top 12 receivers area....

Trust me, we have all been waiting for Donte to break out for years now ... myself more than anyone else. I hope that he does take the reigns from Horn and establish himself as a true No. 1 WR, and I think he is more than capable of that, but he needs to establish himself as the leader of the WRs first, and I am not sure he can do that.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:17 pm

I agree with the Roy Williams pick, I think he's in the position most akin to what Steve Smith was in.

I've owned Smith in a keeper since '03, and stuck with him on my bench throughout the entire injury season in '04 because I knew the kind of potential he had shown the year before. Smith cannot be labelled a total surprise last year when you look at the excellent numbers he put up in '03. He was consistently good week in and week out.

Williams seems similar to me, he was a top breakout player a few years ago, but injuries hampered him big-time last year. Everyone knows he has talent, though, and if anything the offensive situation around him has improved with Martz coming in and either Kitna/McCown throwing him the ball instead of Harrington. If he's healthy (and I think he is), Williams has stud potential written all over him, and you may be able to get him relatively cheap based on last year's performance.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:15 pm

My only problem with Roy Williams is he seems forever broke. Steve Smith suffered a season ending injury. Williams on the other hand has that Chris Brown feel about him. Turf toe, hammy, hangnail...

I dont doubt his talent and if he stays healthy he will explode. I just dont trust the guy to play through pain and i hate watching injury reports before submitting my starters.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:19 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:My only problem with Roy Williams is he seems forever broke. Steve Smith suffered a season ending injury. Williams on the other hand has that Chris Brown feel about him. Turf toe, hammy, hangnail...

I dont doubt his talent and if he stays healthy he will explode. I just dont trust the guy to play through pain and i hate watching injury reports before submitting my starters.

The thing with Roy is that he has a new sheriff in town, and Martz/Marinelli don't take well to soft players. I think he might be more motivated to be in game shape and play through some of the things that softy Mariucci would give R&R and a hug for. He has a tremendous upside.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 pm

moochman wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:My only problem with Roy Williams is he seems forever broke. Steve Smith suffered a season ending injury. Williams on the other hand has that Chris Brown feel about him. Turf toe, hammy, hangnail...

The thing with Roy is that he has a new sheriff in town, and Martz/Marinelli don't take well to soft players. I think he might be more motivated to be in game shape and play through some of the things that softy Mariucci would give R&R and a hug for. He has a tremendous upside.

Agree. Roy has scored nearly 20 TDs in what amounts to about 20 games of healthy playing time over the past two seasons (including his rookie year). IF he can stay healthy, get motivated, and the Lion's offense doesn't completely collapse, the potential there is limitless. Mariucci had to ask nicely for the team to jog around the field, while Martz demands full speed at all times. I think you will see a different Lion's offense this year, and Roy looks to be the clear #1 goto guy. A team doesn't have to be a winner to produce a fantasy stud WR..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby teacupwoozy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Taco Wallace! When Burly, D-Jax, and Engram all get banged up... THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR TACO!!!
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:54 pm

teacupwoozy wrote:Taco Wallace! When Burly, D-Jax, and Engram all get banged up... THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR TACO!!!

If only Iron Chef still posted here. He'd be right there with you on that.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk