Question on RB’s in 2nd round - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question on RB’s in 2nd round

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 am

If you can grab two of the top five WRs at 2.10 and 3.01 you have to seriously consider it. That would give you one of the best three RBs, two of the top five WRs. That team would be ready to roll with any help at all for the rest of your team. If a WR run goes before you then a solid RB would fall and you would have a great RB tandem. GL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:24 am

gatorman1122 wrote:Grab 2 studly WRs in a row if they're available.

Yep, if i ever have first selection, 90% of the time i will snatch up the top RB and then get 2 top 5 WR's and hope for a sleeper RB in round 4 or 5.

Your much better off taking a top 5 WR, than taking a chance on a Rb like Chester Taylor or someone of that nature in a later round, maybe even try to get Benson, and Ahman Green.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Toltec » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:27 am

generally in the #1 spot if you grab a WR at both 2.10 and 3.1 it will start a WR panic especially if it leaves only one or two of the top eight then people tend to set themselves for WR and grab from tier two before it rounds back, every now and then a 4th round gem will drop to you that you thought would be toast in round 3
Toltec
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:40 pm

gatorman1122 wrote:
There's always Dillon, Mcalister, Rhodes, A. Green, etc.

They're not great, but I don't really see much of a difference between these guys and 2nd rd RBs like Westbrooks, Willie, etc.
are you serious?, you don't see a difference between, domanick davis, westbrook, carnell williams (2nd rounders), and Dillon, McCallister, Rhodes, and Green?(4th rounders) you can't be serious.

I concur.

The 2nd Round RBs have so many less questions than the gimps/scrubs in the 4th Round. The 4th Rounders that gator listed aren't even guaranteed to start/play...

I highly doubt that Dillon is going to lose goalline carries to Maroney especially when he's one of the best goal-line rbs out there. The same thing applies with Deuce (especially with Bush's holdout).

Ahman Green and Rhodes are both starters and it's their jobs to lose. There's no way Addai will be comfortable in Manning's audible happy offense. Addai is an undersized, 3rd down back who won't steal goalline carries. Rhodes knows the offense better and has a 1000yd season under his belt (when Edge was hurt).

Westbrook has value only in PPR league. We all know there's no way in hell he gets double digit rushing TDs. He could lose carries to Ryan Moats, who did well when Westbrook was out.

Domanick Davis has injury concerns with his knees and the Texans are scrambling for a backup.

Carnell Williams can sometimes be inconsistent during games and might get injured (considering the fact that Gruden runs him 20-30 times a game).

So, ya, I still don't see that much of a difference between the 2nd rd RBs and the 4th rd RBs. Both sets of RBs have tons of question marks.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Firstly, I don't think that you HAVE to go RB with that 2nd pick, or even the 3rd pick. I'd look to see if one of two things happen. Either

A. A solid RB will fall to you. Grab him and then take your #1 WR with your next pick.

B. 2 of the top WR (Moss, Owens, Smith, CJ, etc.) will fall to you. Then grab both of them. You don't need a 2nd RB at the turn here, especially becasue you already have one of the big 3 (whichever one you like).

Basically, don't just grab a medicore RB at the turn here if you don't need to. Therer are enough RB out there (think Ron Dayne, etc.) where you could wait and actually make your team better.

good advice. unless running backs are going fast and you think the selection at the next turn is going to be absolute zero, you dont have to take one. you can take 2 top wideouts or possibly a wideout and antonio gates. however, if you dont take a running back there, you basically have to take 2 at the next turn (Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson maybe?) to ensure you arent totally screwed at the position.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Billsbacker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:22 pm

If Westy is still there, I go with him and the top WR available. If not, I take the top 2 WR available, then stock up on RB's at the next turn and play the hot hands.....
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby fightinfitz_08 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
gatorman1122 wrote:Grab 2 studly WRs in a row if they're available.

Yep, if i ever have first selection, 90% of the time i will snatch up the top RB and then get 2 top 5 WR's and hope for a sleeper RB in round 4 or 5.

Your much better off taking a top 5 WR, than taking a chance on a Rb like Chester Taylor or someone of that nature in a later round, maybe even try to get Benson, and Ahman Green.

my advice would be get 2 elite wr's with the 2.10 and 3.01 picks, then look to get Chester Taylor in rd 4. he should be there, i've seen him fall to that spot in many mocks i've had. he'll be a dependable #2.
fightinfitz_08
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:28 pm

gatorman1122 wrote:So, ya, I still don't see that much of a difference between the 2nd rd RBs and the 4th rd RBs. Both sets of RBs have tons of question marks.

You are simply delusional. Here's one:

"Carnell Williams can sometimes be inconsistent during games and might get injured"

You downgrade Cadillac because he might get injured...but upgrade Dillon, Deuce, and Ahman??? In case you didn't realize, Deuce and Ahman are coming off really bad injuries.

Every RB might get injured. Would you rather have a healthy Caddy or a guy one year removed from ACL tears?

gatorman1122 wrote:Addai is an undersized, 3rd down back who won't steal goalline carries.

Rhodes: 5'9", 203lbs
Addai: 5'11", 214lbs

What are you talking about? How is Addai under Rhodes' size?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:38 pm

I also wouldn't exactly call the GB job green's, it's more like the RBBC from hell, you have three guys who all are potential starters fighting for that job, and as BH said, if you consider caddy an injury threat, how can you not consider ahman and deuce seconds away from limbs falling off, also, I think you will see some of caddy's workload taken off, becuase they trust simms more in the passing game than they did last year.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ampant » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Generally, I have found that I usually end up going RB, WR, WR if I get towards the 1st half of the draft order.

Basically, when my #1 guy is who I consider a "Stud" (SA, LJ, LT, Clinton, SJax, and mabye Tiki/Rudi), I'll be confident enough to burn round 2 and 3 picks on top flight WRs. This year it seems like there are more solid top WRs than RBs. If I am drafting in the back of the order, I might think about going RB RB. Generally, I like to fill out my starting roster with what I consider "sure thing investments"

When you have LJ, Holt, and Boldin wrapped up, you can afford to plug in guys like Dillon or CTaylor as your RB2. Only way it doesn't pan out that way is if there a guy like Westy still hanging around near the end of the second. On one draft he fell to the 3rd and I HAD to snag him. Generally though, I fill out all of my starting RB and WR slots in the 1st 5 rounds. Then grab my RB3, TE1, WR4, and QB in rounds 6-9.

Unless your league is full of guys who really know their stuff, you will almost always find strong value propositions in the later rounds. On one draft, I picked up Dunn in the 7th, and Dillon in the 8th. In another league, Rhodes went undrafted (I dropped my TE2 and picked him up, even though I already had Portis, Droughns, Taylor, Dunn, and Dayne - just couldn't leave him there B-) ). If you do your research, you will be able to capitalize on those errors and build a solid team. Remember, not everybody in your league will do their homework. Lots of guys just look at cheat sheets and don't factor in variables that Cafe regulars seem to do.

I generally know who my "target" guys are ahead of time, who I want to avoid, and where I want to take them. If a guy I am big on goes too early, it's better to let him go and move on than to overreach for him with an earlier pick.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk