Draft Strategy to use with early pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategy to use with early pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy to use with early pick?

Postby bdt13 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 am

Gang,

Was hoping you could share your thoughts on draft strategy.

I have the #3 pick in a 12 team league. First time I've had a pick this early in the draft and honestly it's throwing off my normal drafting style.

After some mock drafts, I'm thinking the best way to go may be RB WR RB as opposed to RB RB WR in order to still guarantee a good WR and then hope for a decent #2 RB in the third round. (In one draft it went LT, Harrison, J Lewis).

What do you guys think? Obviously based on what players are available this strategy wouldn't be set in stone, but as a general template, is this a good idea?
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

you need to react...

Postby mlavwilson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:18 am

You have the best spot at #3. You can take whom ever is left from the 3 STUDS, then you get first dibs on the flip side.

Like you said mock drafts will be the key, execute many of them so that you will be able to react to the value that is presented. In most cases I would assume that a WR will present the most value when your 2nd pick comes around. I would not be afraid to spend your #2 and #3 picks on WRs.
Last edited by mlavwilson on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
mlavwilson
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:45 am

Yeah actually with the number 3 pick it's the best. You can get one of the big three. Then your choice of either a top WR or a strong 2nd RB. Safer to go with another RB but you have choice from that spot which is the best.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Re: Draft Strategy to use with early pick?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 am

bdt13 wrote:After some mock drafts, I'm thinking the best way to go may be RB WR RB as opposed to RB RB WR in order to still guarantee a good WR and then hope for a decent #2 RB in the third round. (In one draft it went LT, Harrison, J Lewis).

Jamal Lewis might be a stretch there.

If I'm drafting #3, I need the 2nd and 3rd round picks to include either: (a) a stud WR and good RB or (b) two stud WRs. I'm not a fan of taking 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds...unless you're playing with a flex.

I wouldn't be happy coming away with Harrison and Jamal. Both players have question marks...Harrison's decline and Jamal's severe dropoff last year and Mike A's addition. FYI, I have Harrison as my #7 WR and Jamal in the late teens for RBs.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:47 am

Gotta agree with the huge dude here. If a real solid RB falls to you take him. Otherwise you take the best WRs available, that should start a WR run and leave you a serviceable RB with your 4th pick.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Justin_Case » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:19 pm

I have the #3 pick in a redraft as well and here is my opinion:

You know that on the way back in the 2nd round the 2 teams drafting behind you (#1, #2) already have RBs. It would be pretty safe to assume they are only going to draft 1 more RB either with their 2nd or 3rd round picks and likely a WR with the other one and a slight chance of a QB or TE instead.

I'm going to be looking at how deep RB and WR are when my 2nd round pick comes up and decide from there. If there is a big drop off in RBs after the next 2 get taken I want to take one now. If there are 3 or 4 similar valued RBs I wait and take a WR and vice-versa.

Knowing my luck there will probably be 2 good RBs and 2 good WRs when the pick gets to me and you'll have to go with best available.

Thoughts?
Justin_Case
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bdt13 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:07 pm

Our league is using a flex position (RB/WR) this year. We could start up to three RBs potentially.

With that in mind, would you change strategy and be more aggressive with drafting a RB in the second and possibly third?
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Justin_Case » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 pm

bdt13 wrote:Our league is using a flex position (RB/WR) this year. We could start up to three RBs potentially.

With that in mind, would you change strategy and be more aggressive with drafting a RB in the second and possibly third?

I think this really puts pressure on you to take a RB with your second pick because it is much more likely that 2 RBs could be taken by one or both of the guys between you and your 3rd pick. I don't know if you need to draft 3 RBs with your first 3 picks but there is a better chance that one of the others do it and then you are looking at less options
Justin_Case
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 pm

moochman wrote:Gotta agree with the huge dude here. If a real solid RB falls to you take him. Otherwise you take the best WRs available, that should start a WR run and leave you a serviceable RB with your 4th pick.

This is exactly what i'll be doing if I get a top 3 pick. A top 3 of:

LT
Moss/TO
Holt

I'd then be inclined to grab 2 RBs with my next two picks, depending on who is available.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bdt13 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:51 pm

Aussieboy,

Would you still go with that strategy with a flex position where you could potentially start 3 rb each week?
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk