V.Davis and K.Winslow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

V.Davis and K.Winslow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ampant » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:58 pm

While I think Vernon Davis may have been the best TE or WR available in the draft this year, I would have to agree with the majority here and go with Winslow.

Seeing some preseason games may change my mind, but (based on last year) counting on Alex Smith to throw you the ball makes me very nervous. He was just terrible last year. And I don't know how far he could have progressed in the offseason. We also have never seen Vernon Davis play in the NFL.

I would feel much more comfortable with Charlie Frye, (who showed us a lot more last year than Alex Smith did), and with the Browns offense in general.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Of the two, I'd say Winslow. I think he has something to prove this year (as his NFL career so far has been, shall we say, less than stellar.), and until Alex Smith shows me something I wouldn't touch anyone involved in the SF "aerial attack" with a ten foot pole.

I don't know that I'd want to go into the season with either as my starting TE, but if you have the roster room they're worth a flier in the later rounds.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Billsbacker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 pm

I also would stay away from both of them (or at the very least, have a backup TE to start playing if they don't produce). Remember the saying "good teams provide good fantasy players"? Well, neither of those teams is good......my personal sleeper is LJSmith, but Cooley, Ben Watson and others are also better candidates than these two, IMHO, and can often be had in later draft rounds.
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby programatik » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 pm

I might be a homer. OK, I am a homer. But my reply here does not attempt to pursuade you on how good or low risk VD is, but the high risk of Winslow. He suffered a torn ACL last year (though not from football...). What is the normal recovery time for a torn ACL that we give most nfl players? Don't we say that its two years before they get back to what they used to do? Why is Winslow any different? And do we even know what kind of production he "would" be getting back to? He only played 2 games in 2004.

Maybe im missing it. Perhaps I have my knee injuries mixed up. If I am wrong, someone tell me that his knee injury isn't as serious as others.

I'm a niner fan and I'm not sure about VD either. Part of ASmith's unsuccessful season was his oline. Right now, if everyone stays healthy we might be a little better; only question is how much.
With that, If I had to make a choice between the two, or they both fell to good value drafting positions, I would rather take a chance on VD. There is rumors (via rotoworld) that he is getting reps in the H-Back position in order to get him on the field as much as possible.
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:08 pm

I like Winslow much better here. Johnson could surprise everyone and stay healthy. That would seriously damage the amount of time VD gets to play. Winslow is reportedly ready to go, is going to be a good soldier, and could see time at WR. He is easily the most talented receiver for the Browns, at least until Edwards returns.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:15 pm

VD ;-7
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Out of interest, if both VD and KW2 came out of college together who would've been the higher pick? As in who was the better prospect heading into the draft?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bigGAME101 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:49 am

aussieboy wrote:Out of interest, if both VD and KW2 came out of college together who would've been the higher pick? As in who was the better prospect heading into the draft?

I'm almost postive that coming out of college Kellen Winslow was touted as perhaps the greatest TE prospect to enter the pros, ever. While there have been TEs taken earlier than him, he was regarded as the most pure natural athlete with an intense drive to be the best. His character was always a concern, however. Vernon Davis, whom I have to admit I follwed more carefully than KWII in college, then came onto the scene and was held as the best TE prospect since Kellen. But IMHO, I think scouts were looking for a reason to make Davis such a great TE prospect. Because KWII had been a bust up to that point, saying that V.Davis was a 'better' prospect was easy given the complete lack of production from KWII thus far; and people bought in. In terms of potential, I don't think its close. KWII would have definately gone first.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gablefan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:54 pm

OK I may be in the minority here, but what has VD ever done to prove his worth as a football player? Yes I saw him shake off that FSU guy. I realize he has potential, but I am not sold on him yet. He is going to a team with a top tier, though oft injured, tight end. That doesn't help me any. The team also has a "rookie" QB. Not helped there either. The 9er's don't have a steallr run O either. Not saying, KWII is highly better in any category, but he has been a legitamate stud in his career, albeit college.

Other than show he is a physical freak, he has done nothing. This reminds me of Troy Williamson last year when he went becasue he burnt the track during his forty. Now he fighting for his roster spot. I think even here, we tend to over-hype guys alot!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:59 pm

With all of the offseason moves I would definately lean towards drafting Kellen Winslow. He plays for a much better team than SF could ever hope to be this year.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk