V.Davis and K.Winslow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

V.Davis and K.Winslow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:07 pm

I wouldn't draft either of those guys. Go with somebody you can rely on. TE is too important of a position to F around with nowadays. A guy like Jason Witten can fall into the 7th-8th rounds in some drafts, why would you pass that up to gamble on a rookie and a guy with 1 game experience in the NFL coming off a freaking ACL tear. Are you kidding me?

If you absolutely insist on waiting until a late round to grab a TE, I would go with Heath Miller or Zach Hilton.

Remember, for TE (just like any other NFL position) experience is a plus.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 pm

gablefan wrote:OK I may be in the minority here, but what has VD ever done to prove his worth as a football player?

I think the same could be said for KIWI too since I believe he's only played 2 pro games.

That being said, I see Winslow cracking the top 10 and edging toward the top 5 TEs this year if he remains healthy. He's too much of a freak of nature to not be one of the best TEs in the game and over the next couple of years I'm guessing he'll start pressing the top 3, especially if the Browns keep improving as a team.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gablefan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:13 pm

biju wrote:
gablefan wrote:OK I may be in the minority here, but what has VD ever done to prove his worth as a football player?

I think the same could be said for KIWI too since I believe he's only played 2 pro games.

Like I said he was great in College. Not saying Davis wasn't good, but he didn't have near the buzz until he smoked the track at the combine.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby programatik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:01 pm

as a niner fan, I still cringe every time someone mentions EJ as a top tier prospect. He had 1, one, uno, un, der, unum, odin, yi, ichi good season. Everything else was mediocore or plagued by injuries. Please...stop it. Don't let EJ be a factor in the comparison of VD and KWII
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm

programatik wrote:as a niner fan, I still cringe every time someone mentions EJ as a top tier prospect. He had 1, one, uno, un, der, unum, odin, yi, ichi good season. Everything else was mediocore or plagued by injuries. Please...stop it. Don't let EJ be a factor in the comparison of VD and KWII

Eric Johnson has always been a good player. It's been health issues that have caused him to fail. Seriously, you don't do what he did in '04 with mediocre talent.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby D3C4K » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I wouldn't draft either of those guys. Go with somebody you can rely on. TE is too important of a position to F around with nowadays. A guy like Jason Witten can fall into the 7th-8th rounds in some drafts, why would you pass that up to gamble on a rookie and a guy with 1 game experience in the NFL coming off a freaking ACL tear. Are you kidding me?

If you absolutely insist on waiting until a late round to grab a TE, I would go with Heath Miller or Zach Hilton.

Remember, for TE (just like any other NFL position) experience is a plus.

Yeah, that pretty much says it all, except replace Zach Hilton with Ben Watson ;-D .
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:13 pm

I'm surprised to see so many would prefer Winslow.

VD could be the next Antonio Gates or better. I don't feel the same way about Winslow...

If I drafted either of these guys, it would be on a flier just for their upside. They are 2 good risk/reward type candidates.

I feel the risk is lower with Vernon Davis and the reward is higher... no brainer for me.

P.S. Is Winslow still riding motorcycles?
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:56 pm

saundman2000 wrote:I'm surprised to see so many would prefer Winslow.

VD could be the next Antonio Gates or better. I don't feel the same way about Winslow...

If I drafted either of these guys, it would be on a flier just for their upside. They are 2 good risk/reward type candidates.

I feel the risk is lower with Vernon Davis and the reward is higher... no brainer for me.

VD better than Gates? Based on?

Assuming KWII stays healthy, IMO he'll be in the top 5 or 6 TEs in the League by year's end. This year.

You're right though, both are worth late fliers. I just disagree on which one has more upside.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
saundman2000 wrote:I'm surprised to see so many would prefer Winslow.

VD better than Gates? Based on?

Assuming KWII stays healthy, IMO he'll be in the top 5 or 6 TEs in the League by year's end. This year.

You're right though, both are worth late fliers. I just disagree on which one has more upside.

Based on VD's physical attributes + apparent work ethic + game film plus a huge helping of speculation. Anyone branding someone the next <Insert Star Player Here> is largely speculating. Nothing more than a gut instinct or a subjective opinion. That's all it can be. But therein lies the beauty of fantasy football.... there's a degree of speculation in everything.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 pm

saundman2000 wrote:Based on VD's physical attributes + apparent work ethic + game film plus a huge helping of speculation. Anyone branding someone the next <Insert Star Player Here> is largely speculating. Nothing more than a gut instinct or a subjective opinion. That's all it can be. But therein lies the beauty of fantasy football.... there's a degree of speculation in everything.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Kellen Winslow actually bigger than VD? And I'm absolutely positive KWII's work ethic was never in question, just his off-field decisions apparently. His injury is one of those things that can happen to anyone regardless of their physique or work regimen.

Short term I like KW's supporting cast much, much better than SF and I expect (as was speculated earlier) that he will be close to the top 5 TEs at the end of this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk