What do you do when asked for advice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do you do when asked for advice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:41 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Why not tell him about every site you use? INCLUDING THE CAFE. Are you that scared that a newbie is gonna kick your butt? Have some confidence in yourself and help a brotha out. Seriously, the more competition the better in fantasy football.. no one wants a stale league where half of the owners don't even have the drive, let alone the resources, to become a better fantasy owner.

If there is some high stakes involved (thousands) then maybe I could see leading him to sand instead of water, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

Here’s why:
biju wrote:I don't tell people about the cafe. I just wouldn't want the folks in my league using my questions and seeing who I'm targeting because of my posts.

That sums up exactly why I don’t tell anyone about the Café. Am I “afraid?” No, of course not.

biju wrote:I do think most everyone knows about Antsports.com and their ADP. I think if you give people:

1. General fantasy strategy (most sites have this)
2. ADP
3. VBD info (whether they use it or not it's up to them)
4. Basic cheat sheets

almost anyone can have a respectable draft. When people ask me for advice I usually give them my honest opinion but I don't really ever show my hand on what I'm planning on doing. Most of my close friends know I talk about 60% truth and 40% bs when talking about fantasy sports just to always throw them off of what I'm thinking.

mutantseabass wrote:He's the Pastor of your Church, you will go to Hell if you dont tell him about the Cafe :-b

I'll worry about God's opinion on that before I worry about my pastor’s. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What do you do when asked for advice?

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:55 pm

knapplc wrote:he's the pastor at my church.

You must not be Baptist... hope this isn't a money league!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Actually to add to the reason i dont tell anyone about the CAFE, including friends is because when i first came, i did tell one friend in some of my leagues and he was sniping my posts on "who to pickup/drop...etc" and would pickup the player right away before i could, also knew about trades i wanted to offer and whatnot..

so i had my name changed here at the CAFE, if he wanted he could mine me up by "online attitude" or "typing style".
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Anybody with Google can find this place... that's how I found it. So, if they don't want to take the time to at least google for FF sites (a 5 second excersise)... there is no reason to spoon feed them the site. These are adults, not kids.

Tell them to grab a magazine from the supermarket and wipe your hands clean of it.

When asked about the perfect golf swing, William Ben Hogan slyly said it was "in the dirt"-- meaning, get off your arse... practice... perfect... and no spoon feeding!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Billsbacker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:05 pm

First of all, I would agree to keep the cafe silent and just give him one or two sites to get comfortable (make them good sites - he is a man of God!)

But honestly, if he is new to fantasy football, he is not likely READY to get totally absorbed and live-eat-breathe FF the way that the cafe denizens do. It usually takes a good year or so to get addicted to that point.......so string him along slowly....and when you see him ducking out of the service quick to check the last-minute injury reports before gametime on Sunday, then you know you have him hooked!

And your eternal damnation will have been sealed as well!
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Billsbacker wrote:First of all, I would agree to keep the cafe silent and just give him one or two sites to get comfortable (make them good sites - he is a man of God!)

But honestly, if he is new to fantasy football, he is not likely READY to get totally absorbed and live-eat-breathe FF the way that the cafe denizens do. It usually takes a good year or so to get addicted to that point.......so string him along slowly....and when you see him ducking out of the service quick to check the last-minute injury reports before gametime on Sunday, then you know you have him hooked!

And your eternal damnation will have been sealed as well!

:-b

Nah, he'll just have his cellphone hooked up to the web and he'll check it while everyone's heads are bowed for prayer!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Why not tell him about every site you use? INCLUDING THE CAFE. Are you that scared that a newbie is gonna kick your butt? Have some confidence in yourself and help a brotha out. Seriously, the more competition the better in fantasy football.. no one wants a stale league where half of the owners don't even have the drive, let alone the resources, to become a better fantasy owner.

If there is some high stakes involved (thousands) then maybe I could see leading him to sand instead of water, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

Here’s why:
biju wrote:I don't tell people about the cafe. I just wouldn't want the folks in my league using my questions and seeing who I'm targeting because of my posts.

That sums up exactly why I don’t tell anyone about the Café. Am I “afraid?” No, of course not.

biju wrote:I do think most everyone knows about Antsports.com and their ADP. I think if you give people:

1. General fantasy strategy (most sites have this)
2. ADP
3. VBD info (whether they use it or not it's up to them)
4. Basic cheat sheets

almost anyone can have a respectable draft. When people ask me for advice I usually give them my honest opinion but I don't really ever show my hand on what I'm planning on doing. Most of my close friends know I talk about 60% truth and 40% bs when talking about fantasy sports just to always throw them off of what I'm thinking.

mutantseabass wrote:He's the Pastor of your Church, you will go to Hell if you dont tell him about the Cafe :-b

I'll worry about God's opinion on that before I worry about my pastor’s. ;-)

So what are you afraid of again? That somebody else is gonna copy who you like and don't like? I mean seriously, does this guy have a brain of his own or what, he doesn't form his own opinions? I guess you go into a draft thinking 1st round pick I get X, 2nd round pick I get Y, damn he stole Z in the third round what am I going to do!@?!

Maybe the guy will come to the cafe and form his own opinions and share in the discussion here. The cafe is only as valuable as each member makes it, and if you don't want to tell anybody else about it, it will stagnant and die just like a crappy league filled with uninformed owners.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:34 pm

When it's guys just starting out, I always tell them to come here. I always emphasize especially to post trade offers here before accepting them. If the guy seems to have a really weak team and I think he could do better, I will even analyze his team for him and make recommendations if I feel there are better players on the WW - if he questions my judgement, I tell him to post here. For newbies, I think it's important to make their first experience a positive one - someone did that for me and it's a lesson I never forgot - Pay it forward, so to speak.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby mrblitz » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Tell him to buy a fantasy mag or 2 and to search the web. that's being nice, isn't it?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:47 pm

What do I do when I get asked for advice?

It really depends on who is asking me. I have been in the same money league for three years now and I gotta tell you, there are some people I would not give advice to. If they do ask me I MAY leak out one of my sleepers, otherwise I keep my mouth shut. After all they WANT to take that money away from me! If it is a n00b then I feel like it's my dutie to oversee their development in understanding what fantasy football is all about (since I'm usually the commish). I will tend to tell them the truth and even tell them multiple people to take off of the waiver wire, well party due to the fact that their team is in shambles anyways. I like being the wise guru type player if I can be, but seasoned veterans don't get my sympathy.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk