Championship rings instead of trophies... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Championship rings instead of trophies...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:50 pm

my league was talking about doing this and then once we sobered up we were like what the hell were we thinking.

imagine being at a bar....going well with some hot lady and she asks what that ring is for and you tell her you got it for winning your fantasy football league championship.....i'm sure you just gained mega points in her turn-on bank
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54 pm

Yeah, a hundred plus bucks for a fantasy championship ring seems a little, uh...

not B-) .

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Popcynical » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:55 pm

"One ring to rule them all..."

Haha, Clerks 2 anyone?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 am

I guess I never thought about actually wearing it, until I read the replies here. I suppose it is a bit weird. I was trying to find something more interesting as we have a very steady group of friends and to have something to rub in their faces would be great. When someone dogs a draft pick, it would be cool to say,"Yeah? How many rings have you won?". Maybe trophies can work just as well.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby confused_jake » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:35 am

yeah thats a little too much. that and it would start to get really expensive, at least with a trophy you can buy one and just pass it around to whoever the champion is.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 am

Too much. No one would ever wear it.

I don't even like trophies. Everyone would just rather have money anyway. A small plaque would be kinda cool...but trophies take up space and look too flashy.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 am

Here are a couple other posts from last year:

Post 1

Post 2
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 am

Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:13 am

I just want to mention a few general things I think about trophies:

#1 The purpose they serve is to be on display where other people will see them.

#2 Only your FFL buddies care about a FFL trophy

Therefore if your buddies never will physically come to where they can see your trophy displayed (so you can rub it in their faces), then it is pretty useless.

I think it will only be a rare case where a league is all co-workers (and you could put the trophy in your office/cube/whatever) or all very close friends (and you could put it in your house where you hang out) that a trophy might be worthwhile.

So by and large... any type of Fantasy trophy is useless. A ring violates #2. Something you put on your body is basically public display and 99.9% of the people who see it will not give a crap about it and may even cause them to think less of you.

- The best FFL prize is money. If you want to do something Novel, make it a trip for 2 to Honalulu or a gift subscription to NFL League Pass or something else like they would give away on Wheel of Fortune that would appeal to most anybody.

;-D
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:51 pm

In two of the leagues I've participated in, we've had trophies. One was an empty bottle of Captain Morgan, from a night a long, long time ago...but it was a good keepsake, and we had fun exchanging "The Heisman" (long Story)

The other league, which I haven't won (yet) has a trophy, but the guy who won it 4 years ago keeps on forgetting" to bring it to the drafts.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Previous

Return to Football Talk