underrated players and underrated teams in the NFL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

underrated players and underrated teams in the NFL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby teacupwoozy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:35 am

Okay if you would like to march it down that narrow hallway i can play ball too.

Why is the pats playing like ass in a weak division a more compelling media draw, especially as they are a perennial playoff team; more interesting then a Seattle team that is playing better football then it has in it's history.

Press surrounding NE when it was first on the upswing after being crap for so long was massive.

Why not Seattle? Cause it doesn't put people in the seats charlie.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teacupwoozy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 am

Moreover this was a Seattle team that had a running back that produced five 16 or more TD seasons in a row, which to my knowledge has never been done by any other runner.

You can call me inane and talk around things all you like. To say that the media doesn't play to larger target audiences is like saying and believing "Global warming is nonsense, its just the natural progression of the earth's environment, temperatures and climate conditions were always going to jump violently during the period of time which happens to start during industrialization!" It has a cute childlike naivete, but it isn't reality.

Socio-economics and concentrated wealth play a big role in what the media does and does not cover. Dude from the eagles gets shot, you cant turn around without getting hit by a story. Ken Hamlin nearly gets beaten to death outside of a club, you get one post on yahoo and a puff piece in SI. I never even saw it on TV.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 am

For the same damn reason (even moreso really) that Pitt could start the season 3-2 this year and still be on primetime with tons of people watching in week 6.

Oh, and maybe, just maybe we're going to hear about a quarterback that has never lost a playoff game and a team that has won 10 straight playoff games during PLAYOFF TIME. Maybe, just maybe we're going to hear more about that than the team that's won what, 1 playoff game in 20 years and came back with basically the same team that's dissappointed the last 3 years.

With all the talk about "dynasty" and "clutch" of course the Pats are going to be mentioned often during playoff time over a team that's never held a presence in the playoffs. Just like GB and Packers were during their dynasty and west coast SF and Montana were all over the news during their dynasty and even on the waning years of it.

And let's not kid ourselves into thinking Seattle didn't get any media attention. I saw plenty about them and many on ESPN had them pegged to go to the Super Bowl. Nor should we kid ourselves into thinking that Seattle is the first team to make a Super Bowl run without being the consensus media hyped team prior to it. We see that nearly every year.

Oh, and by the way, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to mention division strength when arguing on the behalf of Seattle.

I thought that Seattle was the better team in the Super Bowl this past year (just flash back to my posts after the Super Bowl), but that certainly does not mean they were anywhere near the most compelling news story heading into the playoffs and it had nothing to do with where they played football. If the Patriots played in Oregon and the Colts played in New Mexico and TO put up those same antics while playing for Seattle we would've heard just as much about them.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 am

Tom Brady is underrated.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:32 am

nothing like a BH comment to lighten the mood. :-b
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:06 pm

Brett Favre and the Pack = underrated.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby biju » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:28 pm

I never imagined so much thought could be wasted by a joke I made. Man, Free Bagel, you need to lighten up.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Popcynical » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Brett Favre and the Pack = underrated.

I'll agree there :-D
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk