4th pick dilema - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

4th pick dilema

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ampant » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I don't think Portis is a lock to outperform Tiki, but he's the guy I would go with as well for the reason stated above.

Additionally, I don't know about trusting old man Brunell at QB, but Portis will definitely get a few more scoring opportunities in the red zone, and doesn't rely on his QB for that. Basically, Portis is a much bigger part of that offense, whereas Tiki has Plax and Shockey to contend with, as well as the possibility of losing some touches to Jacobs.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 pm

*cough Mark Brunell*

I would go with Portis.It really comes down to Portis/Tiki based on the consensus. Forgetting the pages and pages of debate, I would make it simple and go with the younger guy of the two. Or you could be off the wall and draft someone like Steven Jackson.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:47 pm

Portis is my choice at 4. Improved O-line pushes me to Portis on this one. I just can't buy into Tiki at #4 the way some others can. Some have really researched these two and found some nice stats like running plays called per game as an example. Some say Eli brings more to the passing game than Brunell and defenses can focus more on stopping the run vs. Wash.

The way I see it, Gibbs loves to run and Portis is doing the running. Portis can handle the job and the O-line is better. Al Saunders will devise a way to include a passing attack to keep defenses honest (watch out for Cooley!). The mere fact Tiki could lose some goal line carries is a risk I am not taking with the #4 pick if possible.

Portis is a nice solid pick if you miss out on the top 3. Take Portis and be glad you are not drafting later.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:48 pm

If I were at 4, I'd take Portis. Is trading down a possibility? The fourth pick is kind of a stinker this year IMO.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby D3C4K » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:08 pm

I love Tiki, but even I'd take Portis, mainly due to his potential redzone production. That's the key here, as while Tiki often gets taken out, Portis will likely see more redzone carries thanks to Saunders. Even with Tiki's monster yardage last year, he put up 9 tds, and Jacobs pilfered 7 tds from him (and should've had several more :-t ). Hell, Ricky Williams had 6, and he split carries with Ronnie and was suspended early in the year. Portis, on the other hand, has the same OC that played a part in Priest Holmes scoring 21 tds in 2002 and 27 tds in 2003, Priest scoring 14, LJ scoring 9, and Blaylock scoring 8 tds in 2004, and LJ scoring 20 tds in 9 starts in 2005. Granted, KC's o-line was better than Washington's, but all you can ask for from a fantasy rb is the opportunity to score in the redzone. With KC leading the league in rushing tds from 2002-2004, and finishing second only to Seattle (thanks to Alexander's record year) in 2005, I'd say the Saunders has a propensity for punching the ball in with his running back. As I've said, I like Tiki, I just don't like having my 1st round pick sitting on the sideline when his offense is in the redzone.
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:32 pm

i've jumped on the portis trian as well for the same reasons as above. i just overall like him over tiki withthe additions they have made this offseason.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby TheFranchise » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:37 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:I love the 4th pick this year.

Portis for sure. He has one of the best O-Lines in the NFL, Al Saunders is on board, and in that offense Portis could rip off 1800 yards.

Go with Portis.

I take Portis. Saunders has proven he can get the most out of his backs.
TheFranchise
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:55 pm

I don't think there is a wrong choice here. If it were me I'd grab Portis.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MrTwo94 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:26 pm

Kensat30 wrote:It really comes down to Portis/Tiki based on the consensus.

People act like there is a law against drafting contrary to the consensus. Maybe it is "off the wall" like you said, but I think Jackson is the clear choice. Portis and Tiki are both coming off of large workloads that went into the playoffs. Both teams are looking to decrease their workload. I don't trust Brunell to keep the pressure off Portis. He (Brunell) pretty much had a career year last year. Don't bet your #4 pick on it repeating. In my opinion, Jackson has the highest upside. We all know Tiki won't be scoring many TD's. Washington's offense isn't exactly stellar. Jackson is the only one with a legitimate shot at 15+ TD.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby teacupwoozy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:56 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:It really comes down to Portis/Tiki based on the consensus.

People act like there is a law against drafting contrary to the consensus. Maybe it is "off the wall" like you said, but I think Jackson is the clear choice. Portis and Tiki are both coming off of large workloads that went into the playoffs. Both teams are looking to decrease their workload. I don't trust Brunell to keep the pressure off Portis. He (Brunell) pretty much had a career year last year. Don't bet your #4 pick on it repeating. In my opinion, Jackson has the highest upside. We all know Tiki won't be scoring many TD's. Washington's offense isn't exactly stellar. Jackson is the only one with a legitimate shot at 15+ TD.

Uhhh why? Is it the crap o-line that stirrs you to love Jackson? or perhaps the lack of defense which would mean more passing situations? or perhaps the fact that he has to learn a new system and doesn't really have anyone to spell him when he needs it... Or maybe its Bulger coming back from a shoulder injury and having to learn a new system...

You gave all those "compelling" reasons that Clinton and Tiki have questions (not to mention your great tiki wont be in the top 13 thread) but you don't really seem to put together an argument for Jackson.... If its a gut feeling I'd go a little eaiser on the forcefull speak...
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk