4th pick dilema - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

4th pick dilema

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Keyser_WV » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:42 am

MrTwo94 wrote:Tiki won't be scoring many TD's.

Why not? He scored 15 and 11 the last two years.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 am

gotta go with portis here, as many other people have pointed out, al saunders the OC, the Line is awesome, and there is more than one threat at WR now, there are like 3 or 4 with randle el, brandon lloyd, and I think there is one more, but I can't remember who.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby teacupwoozy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:10 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:gotta go with portis here, as many other people have pointed out, al saunders the OC, the Line is awesome, and there is more than one threat at WR now, there are like 3 or 4 with randle el, brandon lloyd, and I think there is one more, but I can't remember who.

David Patten
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Keyser_WV » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:20 am

I am not saying that Portis isn't worth the 4th pick but I do think people are overstating the impact that Brandon Lloyd and Randel-El will have in that offense.

I would probably go with Jackson in a redraft. I can't believe I am actually agreeing with MrTwo but I think Jackson has a chance to be a top 5 back this year.

Portis is a talented back for sure but I like the STL offense much better than WASH.

Jackson, Portis, Tiki seem like they will come in the 4 through 6 range but you just never know.

Predicting who will finish 4-10 this year seems tougher than most years.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ampant » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 am

Keyser_WV wrote:I am not saying that Portis isn't worth the 4th pick but I do think people are overstating the impact that Brandon Lloyd and Randel-El will have in that offense.

I would probably go with Jackson in a redraft. I can't believe I am actually agreeing with MrTwo but I think Jackson has a chance to be a top 5 back this year.

Portis is a talented back for sure but I like the STL offense much better than WASH.

Jackson, Portis, Tiki seem like they will come in the 4 through 6 range but you just never know.

Predicting who will finish 4-10 this year seems tougher than most years.

I agree that he might as well. Problem is, we never know whether a coach REALLY means what he says. Last year Vitt kept talking about how he was going to start running more (after Martz left), but it never really happened. SJax is a stud, and plays a very weak schedule. He definitely could have a break out year. For thet to happen, the Rams need to put together an defense that actually prevents people from scoring. IF that happens, the SJax should have the best chance of any non-top5 back of breaking into the top 5.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Doctor P » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:35 am

I'm really liking Portis this year as well although I do love S Jax upside as well. I'm just reiterating what others have said but the downside to Portis is obviously Brunell and the upside is the line and Saunders. Portis has proven he could put up big numbers before while S Jax has yet to. But I do think S Jax potential is higher while Portis is more of a sure thing than Jackson.
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby teacupwoozy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:49 am

But really what is this SJax love based upon? I keep hearing weak schedule, meh okay... but is there anything else cause usually that weak schedule can change rather drastically during the season... I appreciate he has shown some spark, but St. Louis is a mess.

No defense, a crumbling line on the downslide, no one behind Jackson worthy of carrying the rock, a QB coming off of an injury who isn't really a quick study and being plunked into a new offensive system. Plus just as Jackson was getting the hang of one offense now he is tossed into a new one. Thats a head trip for a player of his youth. Hopefully Marshall Faulk stays around as team yoda if nothing else to help them all through this transition, but based upon everything I don't see where the affection is coming from. That isn't really a problem but usually there is a post that says something more than "his schedule is strong, or he has great upside" like a substantial reason. He looked real good in preseason right out of the gates is my reason thinking he will in the future be a great back. He has great moves, but you still need blockers, and/or a serviceable D to elevate you as a RB. Unless you are LT. He is not LT.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:11 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:It really comes down to Portis/Tiki based on the consensus.

People act like there is a law against drafting contrary to the consensus. Maybe it is "off the wall" like you said, but I think Jackson is the clear choice. Portis and Tiki are both coming off of large workloads that went into the playoffs. Both teams are looking to decrease their workload. I don't trust Brunell to keep the pressure off Portis. He (Brunell) pretty much had a career year last year. Don't bet your #4 pick on it repeating. In my opinion, Jackson has the highest upside. We all know Tiki won't be scoring many TD's. Washington's offense isn't exactly stellar. Jackson is the only one with a legitimate shot at 15+ TD.

He has the ONLY legitimate shot at 15+ TDs, even considering that he hasn't done it before and the other 2 guys have? Hell, Jackson hasn't even gotten through a season yet unscathed. Knee issues on that turf.. And when was the last time Bulger got through a full season BTW. I like Bulger and that offense a lot, but it officially goes to hit or miss status once Bulger is out. Unless of course you are feeling the Gus Frerotte love.

I'll give you the workload argument, but something is to be said for consistency. Steven Jackson had 15 games last year to prove what he was made of, and what I saw was a lot of bouncing and not enough pounding. Jackson doesn't have the Faulk finesse, he needs to perfect his own style. Tiki and Portis refined their techniques within their respective offenses to perfection last season.. Not to mention that Tiki and Portis both have capable backup RBs to pick up some slack if necessary.. who is on the bench to give Jackson a breather?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk